General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
United States
RAM Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M46-50
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45, out the door at 4:05. About an hour to the race and I came in from the south side to skip Lake Geneva traffic. Had a SlimFast shake in the parking lot and a bottle of water. Set up transition and then waited. Was in swim wave 14 so I had a long time to wait. Ate a Gu roctane about 20 minutes before my swim. Got my wet suit on and waded a bit in the water.
Event warmup:

None really. Waiting around is hard for me. Should have found some shade and chilled out.
Swim
  • 28m 38s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for me. They warned us about not cutting off the dogleg part of the course and they parked some of the boats there. Still, most of us swung way out, more to avoid traffic than to take the short cut. Swam for a while between 2 people that I could not shake. The once round the buoy, was by myself. Lake Geneva is really clear so on the way back, closer to shore, I was able to "sight" using the bottom. If it came up, I knew I was too close to shore and moved out.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have gone a bit faster and sighted better coming in, but overall, this is a good time for me.
Transition 1
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

It was a long run to T1 from swim out and then you had to loop all the way around the back side of transition. Getting better at these but I still tend to take too long.

Hustle?
Bike
  • 1h 10m 28s
  • 23.61 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Got up to speed right away and then up a little hill. Once we got away from Bigfoot, it was the typical rollers and sections of flat. Felt really good so I pushed it a bit. I knew it was downhill for the last couple of miles so I saved some back, especially since we seemed to be fighting a headwind for the first half of the course. Pretty soon, I knew the downhill would get me back to T2 quickly. Made sure I had my water and Infinite down for the run.

Nothing. Happy to average over 20 mph for this distance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Much better than T1 but still a long way to my spot. Made sure I had everything and then stopped right before run out to drink down some Gatorade.

Hustle.
Run
  • 59m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Kind of fell apart here. Not a great trail runner with my skinny little ankles. Found myself looking down at all the trip hazards, but in reality, I just did not have it today. Probably pushed the bike too hard at some point and my run training has sucked lately.

More bricks and get a couple of trail runs in.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and was thankful to be done. Happy with my time. Walked over to some shade with my goody bag and recovered. Didn't feel all that great, but eventually, worked up enough stamina to make it to the beer tent. Had a beer and felt better. Kissed my wife goodbye and packed up transition. Stopped at Taco Bell on the way home. Before I jumped in the shower, weighed myself. Down 6 pounds after eating and drinking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to do better at drinking enough water and electrolytes and getting a bit more calories in my body. Not skip out on run training so much.

Event comments:

Good race and closer to my house than Pleasant Prairie, which is held the same day. Very popular with right around 1000 participants in both the sprint and oly.

Last updated: 2012-02-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:38 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3 full
Course: Out and back along the shore. Course had a dogleg left to it. Buoys on you right.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:28 | 23.61 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling southern Wisconsin rural roads. One section was kind of bad.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:14 | 06.21 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops through Bigfoot park. Trail run with some sections running on the road. Shade in some spots; others wide open.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-03 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed