General Discussion Triathlon Talk » intense heat in ball of foot on run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-06 9:29 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: intense heat in ball of foot on run
i switched to new balance 766 this year after two years in 765s. they are comphy, but on longer runs the ball of my foot starts to heat up. i was really concerned that since the sensation was intense heat, it might be the 'burning sensation' of plantar fasciitis, which my mom and older brother both battle with. different socks and using body glide have not helped. speed laces seem to make the problem worse. ditched the speed laces on one pair and went back to the original laces. also picked up some new insoles from the running shop (gave them to me for free - RUN'N'FUN RULES!!!). anyway, i'm about to head out for a run with the new insoles, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone has suggestions.

2006-06-06 9:30 AM
in reply to: #444649

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: intense heat in ball of foot on run
i should mention that three times now, including the oly i did on sunday, i actually had to STOP, take off the shoe, massage my foot. this would help for a while, but the pain usually returned in 10 minutes or so.
2006-06-06 1:19 PM

User image

Giver

Foot syphillis?

Seriously, this happens to a lot of people on the bike, but I don't hear about it much in running. Could be a lacing problem (since it's worse with different laces). You could try different lacing techniques: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-how-to-lace-athletic-shoes--bg-690482.html

It could also just be something peculiar about these shoes with your particular foot that's caising the hot spot. Can you go back to the 765s, or are theny not available anymore?

2006-06-07 3:43 PM
in reply to: #445045

User image

molto veloce mama
hey, when did you get to be a champion. (must post more!).

regular laces seem to be better. i still have my old shoes, but they each have a lot of miles on them. i THINK it might be related more to what i'm doing when i'm not running - in and out of the dirt and water in the backyard (gardening, playing with the kids in the pool and sprinkler, etc.) and then not ever letting the be clean and dry.
2006-06-14 3:11 PM

New user
I am having this same exact problem. I posted on it just today. I have the problem on my right foot only just behind the front foot pad right in the middle. It has also caused me to completely stop running. Burns like the dickens. I figured my shoe was too loose and once I felt the pain it was too late to just tighten up the shoe. I am treating it like a blister for the time and not getting any running done. I ran 30 minutes last night and the pain came right back almost immediately. I run in Nike airmax 360. I am thinking it is just friction from the shoe not fitting tight enough????
2006-07-12 2:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sounds to me like a Morton's neuroma. I had one. I suffered for about 5 years before I finally had surgery last November. It started like a pain and then a burning and eventually a numbness. I would not go away unless I took my shoe off and wiggled my toes. It got so bad that after 30 minutes in ANY shoe caused extreme pain. I could go on and on but that's what it sounds like to me. I wondered for years what it was until my sister in law heard me and told me it sounded just like what she had. I used to be a NIKE lover for years but my podiatrist urged me to switch as many people with foot problems have trouble with NIKE. I now wear Asics. Some people have luck with metatarsal pads or even steroid injections but for me it took the surgery. Look it up to see if your symptoms fit the description.

2006-07-13 10:03 PM

I concur with the Morton's Neuroma. I had one in each foot. Sometimes you won't feel it at all then bam.....intense pain. Ski boots are what pushed me over the edge to do something about them.

For me surgery was the only answer. I had them ten years apart.
2006-09-05 4:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Brookline, MA
This sounds similar to a problem I have with my left foot. After some time in the run the ball of the foot would have intense pain, and my big toe would go numb. After a year of this while running(and biking on long rides) I went to a doctor. He said I have sesamoiditis and perscribed custom orthotics. I haven't had them long enough to say definatively, but it looks like my running pain is gone. I took about 2 weeks to break in the orthotics and to let my foot heal up; I went for a run this morning and for the first time in years no pain in my foot.

The only problem I have is that with the orthotic in my shoe the shoes are too small! Not really enough room in there!

-Jer
2006-09-12 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
I also had recurring pain in the ball of my left foot, that got so severe, that I was unable to stand let alone walk or run when I had a flair up. Went to a podiatrist and he diagnosed me with Morton's Neuroma (inflamation of the nerve, typically between the 3rd and 4th toe), he did and ultra-sound and found the neuroma to be very large, 5mm. That was two and 1/2 weeks ago. He gave me a shot of cortisone and told me not to run at all for a month and then he'd check it again, unfortuanetly I have a race coming up the 17th so will have to run that, but he gave me another shot yesterday, so we'll see how I fair. My training is consisting of alot of swimming and biking....
2006-09-12 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
Wow, so many runner's with the same problem. I see many attempts to treat this with shoes, inserts, etc but I have not seen anyone address their foot and ankle. Most forefoot problems are a result of excess pressure over the area, hence running may hurt more then walking. However, running is not the real cause, it is usuallya tight heel cord. You need 10 deg of dorsiflexion or flexing the foot/ankle up toward your knee, to walk normal, more to run. If it's tighter then that your heel lifts early in the gait/running cycle and weight is transfered forward sooner then it should. When walking the pain will not be at heel strike or even with the foot flat but usually as the heel comes up and the weight increases on the ball of the foot. Over time this can lead to more prolonged discomfort. Stretch your calf 10-20 seconds every hour.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » intense heat in ball of foot on run Rss Feed