General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri! Ballantyne : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-03 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: Tri! Ballantyne : Official Thread
Just signed up for this race.  I'm in really poor shape this year and wasn't sure that I would be ready but since I've done it every year so far I might as well keep the string going.  I love the Morrison YMCA and the Ballantyne area is just so pretty.  I sure hope they planted some fast growing trees along the run course, I always die from the heat there.

2012-07-03 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4293741

Subject: RE: Tri! Ballantyne : Official Thread
I'm in.  It will be my first.
2012-07-03 10:36 PM

User image

Matthews, NC
I'm in. This will be my first triathlon. Really excited about it. Don't know quite what to expect, but planning to have fun.
2012-07-03 10:39 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Good luck, Bob!!!!!!!!!!!
2012-07-04 5:53 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC

bkwgator and Timothyhales - Well if this is your first triathlon we really need to form a support group.  There are 9 BT-ers signed up for this race.  My immediate recommendation is to ride or at least drive the bike course ahead of time.  It is a difficult course that has a very scary fast downhill section near the beginning, a short steep climb followed by rolling countryside and a long uphill section at the end that you really need to plan for.  The pool is pretty nice but pool swims are always a disaster and there is a lot of sun on the run course.  There will be many volunteers and good after race food and drinks.  I'll be the old bald guy (69) wearing the Tri-Wilmington tri-suit.

Thanks Alan - hope all is well with you.

Bob

Edited by blynott 2012-07-04 5:55 AM
2012-07-04 9:55 AM

User image

This will be my first Triathlon as well, I am so excited!

2012-07-04 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4294028

User image

Matthews, NC

Thanks Bob for the advice.  I'd appreciate any support I can get. I am familiar with the course; however, I plan to drive it this weekend. 

I'm glad to hear I am not the only newbie in this race.  I am competing in this race as a personal goal (complete a tri before I turn 30).  I plan to race to see the finish line.  No records will be broken here.  Well I guess any time I post will be a personal record. 

When I was in high school I used to be very active.  I ran a few marathons and half marathons.  After I graduated, got married, and had kids, that all went out the window (lol).  Now 11 years later I am getting active again and prepping for my first "major" event.  I started running and biking at the beginning of the year and hit the pool for the first time about 6 weeks ago. 

I have been able to complete all three tri distances individually without any problems.  The only combinations I have done so far is a 6 mile bike followed by a 1-2 mile run.  That has really helped me mentally prepare for what my legs will feel like.  This next week or so I plan to ease up and do a few swims, a light bike ride or two (maybe a spin class), and a few runs.  And then have a rest day on Friday and maybe Thursday too.  I also plan to work on my transitioning and figure out my nutrition plan.

2012-07-04 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC

Hi Timothy, I wouldn't take Thursday off, just do a little easy workout.  If you take too much time off before a sprint you feel sluggish and by the time your body wakes up the race is over.

Is everyone going to packet pick-up or the pre-race meeting on Friday?  If so we can try and meet up and plan our strategy for Saturday.  It would be nice to get together as an unofficial team.  Once the race numbers are posted we'll be able to find each other in the transition area on Saturday morning.  I'll post my race number once they are assigned.

Bob

2012-07-04 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4294321

User image

Matthews, NC

I was planning to pick up my packet on Friday between 4:00 and 5:00.  I didn't see anything about a pre-race meeting.  Is there one scheduled?

Pickup info from the event website:

Friday, July 13 from 4-7 PM at TrySports Charlotte -9816 Rea Rd, Chalotte, NC

Saturday, July 14 from 5:15-6:30 AM at the Morrison Family YMCA (9405 Bryant Farms Rd, Charlotte, NC)

2012-07-04 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
They have always had one at the YMCA right after packet pick-up.  But nothing has been announced yet.  They generally just go over the rules such as "No drafting", etc.  Not super important but maybe for your first it might help.
2012-07-06 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Gold member

I'm signed up.  Live about 12 miles from there, will probably bike down & back.

This was my first event two years ago.  I think I'll do a lot better this time.  I'm a lot more fit, but I also hope not to miss a turn on the bike and have to hitchhike back to the course in the back of a pickup truck!

Since it's your first event, if you're in the area the information session the night before might be helpful. Helped me feel more comfortable two years ago.

2012-07-06 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Sold Out!  Wow!!  450 people have already signed up for this race.  It should be very exciting next Saturday and if the long range forecast can be believed it will be a nice day (mid-80s) for the race.
2012-07-07 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Wow, great for them that this sold out! I was hoping to do this one this year as I ride most of that course as part of of long ride every week. We had already signed up for the Raptor Ride in Yadkinville so I will be climbing 3500ft and drinking wine instead of racing that day.

Good luck and have fun. Hope the the pool isnt 100 degrees. I have been on vaca the past two weekends so I haven't been out to the pool in a few weeks (we normally Take our daughter swimming there on weekends).
2012-07-08 1:47 PM

User image

Gonna do race again this year.  I'm a local so will be happy to answer any course questions for first-timers.  Would love to meet up with Bob and others at packet pick-up or whenever.

Pool is small with 6 lanes, up and down each lane for 12 lengths.  Been kinda "cloudy" latey as well.  Suggest clear lens goggles.  This is a race, so breathe every other stroke if necessary.

Bike mount area is slightly uphill so I'd also suggest a "lower" gear for smooth start.  Bike course is a lot of false flats and rolling hills.  Pavement is a little rough in spots with lots of asphalt patching.  Get up the hills in the best gear you can and always take max advantage of every downhill or flat.  Remember to hydrate on the bike when you can.

Run is mostly flat but has a slight down-hill/ up-hill in the middle.  Try and save some for the last mile and come home strong.

A beginner myself so these notes are pointed at myself as much as anyone else, FWIW.     

2012-07-08 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4299983

User image

Matthews, NC
Thanks for the advice NewDiz.  I've been using mirrored goggles as I thought I might need them since the swim is outdoors.  It's the only pair I have so will not be using clear ones.  I still have not seen anything about a info meeting.  I contacted Set Up Event via the website to get more information.  Also, what time does everyone plan to arrive Saturday morning to set up transition?  As for warm up, I will not be starting at 7:00 so I am pretty sure I'll have plenty of time to warm up after the race "starts".  A little insight to how you "kill" the time before your official start would be helpful.  I put a 2:44 - 100 yard time when I registered a few months ago without knowing what my true time was.  It is a little faster than that, but it's too late to change it now. 
2012-07-08 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
The main parking lot is open from 5AM until 6:30AM.  After that you have to park at the elementary school down the road a little.  You also want to be a little early to pick up your timing chip and to get marked with your race numbers.  If you are parked in the main lot you can then wait in your car, you might want to bring something to read.   I know that it's a little discouraging to see people finishing the race before you even start but that often happens in sprints especially with a slow swim time.  The people who start around 7AM will probably be done just after 8AM and with 450 people the last swimmer won't start until almost 9AM.  (One every 15 seconds)  I usually watch the first few swimmers start and then I go to my car and read a while.  Then when my time gets closer I will jog around the parking lot to loosen up and then head for the pool.  I always bring an extra pair of running shoes to use once I have set up my race pair in transition.

2012-07-08 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4300243

I'll probably aim to get there between 5:30 and 6:00.  The YMCA website said that there will be a pre-meeting at TrySports Charlotte (Blakeney) at 5pm on Friday, but I will not be able to attend.  I drove the course tonight and it looks pretty smooth.  A little rough pavement near the start and finish, but otherwise much smoother than my normal ride.  A couple rolling hills, but otherwise just small hills and flats.  Looking forward to it.  I put in a 2:00/100 time.  I'll look for you all on race day.
2012-07-08 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4300243

User image

Matthews, NC

... but that often happens in sprints especially with a slow swim time.

Bob.... did you just call me out on a slow swim time? lol  I'm just thankful I can complete the 300 yards without drowning.   My best 300 from training was 7:38.  If I can post an 8 minute with all the chaos then I'll be happy.

I drove the bike route tonight as well.  Once you make that first turn onto Blackeney Heath Rd it is down hill and curvy.  Looks like a lot of fun.  It is also shaded as well.  I also found there is a big speed bump right before Rea Rd. as you come out of the business park.  Rea Rd. is flat and smooth with a incline right before you turn onto Crane Rd.  The next sections are slightly rolling (If there is such a thing).  When you get to Marvin Rd there is a nice down hill section and then the the biggest climb of the course.  The turn for Providence Rd. West comes up really quickly and is an interesting intersection.  Also going from Providence Rd. West onto Community House Rd. is a stop light intersection which is not represented on the provided course map.  My family said that it was taking for ever to drive the course because it was so far.  It is going to feel even further on a bike.  Nice course overall.

I'm probably going to get off work around 4:30 and hit the 5:00 meeting.  Will be glad to meet up with you all if you're going.

2012-07-08 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
I have been there so I know what you're going through.  It does get better.  I'm usually in the 2 min/100 yd range but have been dealing with a sore back so we'll see.  I'm going to take it easy this week and try and recover.  It's great that you went through the bike course it will help a lot on Saturday.  The Event Details should be posted soon and then we can try and arrange some sort of meeting. 
2012-07-09 3:56 PM

User image

Well, everyone has their own ways and means, but this year I plan on getting there early, in the 5:30 range, and park in the next lot over.  I didn't really care for all the sitting around last year so I plan on doing a little more warm-up, after set-up, this year.  Someone said it before, and I agree, the sprint is almost over before you even get warmed up.  So I want the engine rev'd up and ready to race.  If we can get inside the Y, (and I think we can) I plan on using their stationary bikes and maybe even the treadmills to get things going.    
2012-07-09 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4299983

User image

Thank you for all the info NewDiz! That is really helpful, especially for us first timers.See you all out there!

2012-07-11 9:23 PM

User image

Update:  Y will be open at 7 but you need to use the side entrance (by the pool).  Go all the way around back to the front and go upstairs to use stationary bikes and treadmills.  If you are like me, you have a later swim time, so getting warmed up makes more sense than sitting around, IMHO. 

Packet pick up and race brief are both at Try Sports this year.  Suggest getting in there as early as possible to get packet, and stay for brief if desired.  Not sure what kind of crowd to expect but store could be packed.   If you read all the rules in the packet you'll be just fine.

Practiced transitions in and out of my driveway last night.  I'm sure the neighbors found it highly entertaining watching this old geezer in a tri suit prance around the neighborhood.   

2012-07-12 5:36 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC

I see that the Event Details are now posted on the Setup Events website for Tri-Balantyne.  You have to pick up your timing chip before 6:30AM and you need to get your body marking done by 6:45AM.  

One time we can try and meet is just before the 5PM pre-race meeting at TrySports.  The meeting would be good for the first timers to attend.

Here's a photo of me resting up between races.  There is no hair under the hat.

2012-07-12 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC

Oh no!  I must have done something wrong.  I have number 55 and start at 7:17AM.  That can't be right!!!  I'm sure that when I registered it said that I put in 124 seconds per hundred.  That is 2:04 per hundred right?  I usually start about an hour after the first swimmers, closer to 8AM.  THis means that everyone will be swimming over me and cursing me as they do.  I'll need to wear a sign that says "Sorry, pass me at the wall".

bkwgator - What is your number??

2012-07-12 10:05 AM

User image

Matthews, NC
Bob, where sous you see the start times? I don't see them yet. I though they were starting based upon race category too. Maybe that has something to do with it. Let me see where I am because I put a 2:44.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri! Ballantyne : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2