General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adverse race week build ups Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-04 7:58 AM

New user
Peoria
Subject: Adverse race week build ups
So I’m 4 days out from my first long course race (.75 mile swim, 19 bike and 4.5k run) and everything really is against me on this one:

-  Continuing lower back issues that have really put a stop on full out training for the past 2 months, and have added quite a few minutes to my last 2 sprints
-  I haven’t been able to OWS since last year
-  I haven’t had a chance to swim in a wetsuit yet – will be using/trying it for the first time at the week
-  I have never done a swim of that length in open water
-  Probable 100 degree heat

And to top it off I now have a mean head cold that my daughter gave me.

Anyone else having this much fun before racing this weekend?

2012-07-04 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4294098

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: RE: Adverse race week build ups

Nasty string of bad luck.

In this heat I wonder if wetsuit will even be allowed?

In any case- take it easy & pace yourself.  Between the heat, training limitations, & illness I would take pride in just showing up.

2012-07-05 9:12 AM

New user
Peoria

Yep it is sucking this week.

Im going to have to wear a wet suit for confidence I think, the only thing the organizers are saying is - 

As per USAT rules, wetsuits are allowed if the water temperature is below 78 degrees. Between 78 and 84 degrees, age groupers may wear wetsuits but are not eligible for place awards.

Which Im ok with as I really wont place anyway.

2012-07-05 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Remainder of that USAT rule states that wetsuits are not allowed for any participant if water temp is >84F.   With this heat wave water temps are getting higher than what we usu see in Midwest. 
2012-07-05 3:17 PM

New user

This^^

I'm doing an Olympic distance in KS this weekend, and the most recent word is that wetsuits will not be legal for the swim.  I wasn't planning to wear one, anyway, but it would not be a nice suprise to find out on race morning!

2012-07-05 3:48 PM

New user
Peoria
I have a distinct feeling they wont be legal come Saturday morning, which we will find out at 5am what the temp is going to be.

2012-07-05 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4295128

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
dspursusa - 2012-07-05 7:12 AM

Yep it is sucking this week.

Im going to have to wear a wet suit for confidence I think, the only thing the organizers are saying is - 

As per USAT rules, wetsuits are allowed if the water temperature is below 78 degrees. Between 78 and 84 degrees, age groupers may wear wetsuits but are not eligible for place awards.

Which Im ok with as I really wont place anyway.

When you say that you'll have to wear a wet suit, are you speaking literally?? As in, "you can't swim that distance without it."? I think you're right; you do have a lot of adversity the week of a race...It's a bummer, but I think your biggest challenge would be not having the swim experience to participate in that distance. Is there a shorter race maybe?? If the water is above 84, wearing a wetsuit can cause issues in itself...You definitely don't want to over heat in the water before getting out into 100+ degree weather. 

As far as the other concerns, just race your race...If you can't push yourself as hard on the bike, don't. If you have to to walk part of the run, walk.  Understand that you've had a string of bad luck and just go out there to have a good time and don't worry about any PRs.

2012-07-05 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Be careful in the water. .75 miles is not something to take lightly in this heat.  Here in Iowa, we already know most of the OWS will not be wet suit legal.  The mid to upper 90s and lake of rain has gradually brought water temps up to the mid to upper 80s.  It's not near as fun swimming in that kind of water for a workout.  Those temps are for the kids in swimming pools. 

I'm sorry to hear about your road blocks.  The head cold would probably make me the most nervous.  Nyquill and an early bed time tonight!!!  Dr.'s orders.

2012-07-05 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4296120

New user
Peoria
JasenGuy - 2012-07-05 4:12 PM
dspursusa - 2012-07-05 7:12 AM

When you say that you'll have to wear a wet suit, are you speaking literally?? As in, "you can't swim that distance without it."? 

The distance isn't an issue I feel fine with it, I just have never done under race conditions or in open water - so its probably more of a case of psyching myself out. 

2012-07-05 4:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA
dspursusa - 2012-07-04 7:58 AM
So I’m 4 days out from my first long course race (.75 mile swim, 19 bike and 4.5k run) and everything really is against me on this one:

-  Continuing lower back issues that have really put a stop on full out training for the past 2 months, and have added quite a few minutes to my last 2 sprints
-  I haven’t been able to OWS since last year
-  I haven’t had a chance to swim in a wetsuit yet – will be using/trying it for the first time at the week
-  I have never done a swim of that length in open water
-  Probable 100 degree heat

And to top it off I now have a mean head cold that my daughter gave me.

Anyone else having this much fun before racing this weekend?

Ditch the wetsuit.  You've already said that you haven't worn one and aren't comfortable with it.  At that heat - a wetsuit will probably be more of a hindrance than you than anything else.  

On a side note - if you're thinking that you CANNOT (as in are unable to do) do the swim, then gracefully bow out of the race.  It seems (and I could be wrong) that your mindset is on the "I'm not comfortable swimming this far and I'm not sure I can do it, but maybe if I have a wetsuit for flotation then I'll be ok".  If that's your train of thought - I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider doing this race until you're more prepared.  Having a "long sprint" triathlon under your belt is not worth drowning or putting yourself in danger.

If you've done a few sprints during your backpain - then just take it easy and relax.  You've already said you aren't going to podium, and you've pretty much established that due to your backpain and recent illness that you aren't going to PR anything - so take it easy and just take your time and relax.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adverse race week build ups Rss Feed