General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training spots in NE San Antonio? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-04 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: Training spots in NE San Antonio?

So the Army has brought me once again to San Antonio, and I'm staying out by the airport. Suffice it to say that the area looks as bike-UNfriendly as I remember. 

I'm just looking for some recommendations for pools, lakes for OWS, and some bike routes nearby. I've heard some horror stories about cycling in TX so I'm looking for the more cyclist-friendly options. If it's a drive from Ft. Sam Houston in the evening, that's fine too (within reason).

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. I know I'm not in the best spot, but I would like to keep training while I'm here. 

2012-07-05 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4294697

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Training spots in NE San Antonio?

Welcome back!

I wouldn't say SA is bike un-friendly, you just need to know where to ride.  Inside the loops is a bit harder I think, especially by the airport.  You need to get out north of Loop 1604.  Most people ride either on the NW side between 16 toward Bandera and 10 towards Boerne, or on the NE side between 281 towards Spring Branch and 35 towards New Braunfels.

I live by Randolph out near 1604/35 area, and I ride alot towards New Braunfels but also sometimes East of 35/10 towards Seguin too.

There are so many different routes its hard to give an exact one.  I think the best way to go is to go on mapmyride.com and look for local rides in the SA area.  I can send you some of the routes I do if you tell me what distance you are looking for as well.

As far as OWS goes, there really isn't anything in San Antonio.  Most people either swim up in Boerne Lake (about 20 min up I-10 NW of Loop 1604), or in the Comal River in New Braunfels (about 30 min NE of Loop 1604 up I-35).  But if you're on FSH, they have two good pools, a 25m indoor and 50m outdoor that have lap swimming.  I work on FSH and swim there all the time.

There are tons of good places to train here. It's not any different than anywhere else I've lived.  Horror stories are just those -- stories.  Stuff happens, but it happens everywhere.  The worst thing about Texas is the chip seal roads.  But everything else is pretty ok compared to anywhere else I've lived.

Feel free to give me a PM if you want some specific routes!  Good luck

Dave

2012-07-05 3:15 PM

San Antonio

Ditto to djastroman... plenty of group rides and group OWS... Trisition Area has something going couple of days during the week at their shop and on Saturdays at Boerne lake.  Roger Solers has some sponsored training also.  New Braunfels has a tri-club.  I try to ride N. of 1604 or on the access Rd of 1604 particularly West of HWY 281 .  Blanco road North of 1604 has couple of good routes and the first 10 miles is like glass smooth...I10 North of 1604 out to Boerne is good, also BABCOCK rd. N. of 1604 and  Stagecoach road has some nice training hills, Bandera Rd  out to the North is not bad Pending traffic.

Welcome back

2012-07-05 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC

Thanks, guys. It's been a bit of a homecoming for me, since the last time I was here was 13 years ago as a brand new 2LT. In case you're wondering about the math, I'm starting my CCC late--that's what 4 years of med school, 6 years of residency, and 2 years of fellowship will do to a guy's schedule.

I actually drove out to Tri-Sition today and met a couple of the guys. I'll be heading out on their evening ride and I'm hoping that the heat and humidity of NC have prepared me well. As for the pool, I was a little disappointed to learn that the aquatic center on FSH wasn't open in the mornings (I was hoping for a 0500 swim before taking on the day's powerpoints) but I can make that work. They also told me about the supported swims at Boerne Lake on Saturdays. One thing I had really come to love in NC was being 15 min from a beautiful lake for OWS, but hey--can't have it all.

One of my welcome maps said something about running being tightly restricted on the roads at FSH--is this the case for cycling as well? I was thinking that a few laps around post after class could be a decent workout.

Thanks for the info. Between the stories of cyclists getting thrown off roads and the traffic here inside the loops, I was beginning to lose hope. Now I'm looking forward to getting some miles in down here!

2012-07-05 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4296038

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
DrPete - 2012-07-05 3:28 PM

Thanks, guys. It's been a bit of a homecoming for me, since the last time I was here was 13 years ago as a brand new 2LT. In case you're wondering about the math, I'm starting my CCC late--that's what 4 years of med school, 6 years of residency, and 2 years of fellowship will do to a guy's schedule.

I actually drove out to Tri-Sition today and met a couple of the guys. I'll be heading out on their evening ride and I'm hoping that the heat and humidity of NC have prepared me well. As for the pool, I was a little disappointed to learn that the aquatic center on FSH wasn't open in the mornings (I was hoping for a 0500 swim before taking on the day's powerpoints) but I can make that work. They also told me about the supported swims at Boerne Lake on Saturdays. One thing I had really come to love in NC was being 15 min from a beautiful lake for OWS, but hey--can't have it all.

One of my welcome maps said something about running being tightly restricted on the roads at FSH--is this the case for cycling as well? I was thinking that a few laps around post after class could be a decent workout.

Thanks for the info. Between the stories of cyclists getting thrown off roads and the traffic here inside the loops, I was beginning to lose hope. Now I'm looking forward to getting some miles in down here!

Jimmy Brought Fitness Center has an indoor pool that opens at 0500.  Its on Wilson Road, just west of Walters/Scott where all the construction is.

The only running restrictions on post that I know of is running on Stanley Road during the day.  But that ban  is on the actual road.... you can still run on the sidewalk.   I have several loops on FSH that I run during lunch.  I have a 3, 4, 6, and 9 mile loops that are all variations of going around the Parade Field on Stanley to/from Jimmy Brought.

As far as cycling goes, I don't know of any restrictions.  I would keep to the outside roads though, like riding up Artillary Post instead of Stanley and then maybe out by the Aquatic Center up towards the cemetary and back.  Less traffic in those areas.

How long are you in town for?

2012-07-05 4:12 PM

San Antonio
One other thought...there was a resident couple years back that would ride from vicinity McAllister park to BAMC...there is a paved trail that starts S.side of McAllister by the dog park...crosses under loop 410 up by Los Patios (N.E. Baptist Hospital) then down to Hollbrook Rd. enter on the North Side of Hospital West of I35.  BTW he was sponsored by Airforce and trained for Olympics TRI at Colorado Springs after his residency...don't know if he qualified.

2012-07-05 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC

Hmmm... Interesting. Just found the trail on the map. Looks like it might be an aerobar-friendly kind of ride--not too many twists and turns. I'll have to take a look.

@djastroman--I'm here for 9 weeks. Headed back home on 7Sep.

2012-07-09 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4296136

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
DrPete - 2012-07-05 4:20 PM

Hmmm... Interesting. Just found the trail on the map. Looks like it might be an aerobar-friendly kind of ride--not too many twists and turns. I'll have to take a look.

@djastroman--I'm here for 9 weeks. Headed back home on 7Sep.

Give me a shout if you want to go on a training ride sometime.  I'm usually on the trainer during the week and do longer rides on the weekend, but every now and then I bring my bike to work and ride during lunch or right after work.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training spots in NE San Antonio? Rss Feed