Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Triathlon festival Bike Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-05 1:24 PM

User image

Subject: Toronto Triathlon festival Bike Course

Hi everyone!

I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with driving the DVP. Obviously its not everyday that they close the highway for a race so I am hoping a commuter or Torontonian will have some insight into the course. Steep sections? climbs? Flat? Thanks in advance!

2012-07-05 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4295682

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Toronto Triathlon festival Bike Course

Well a good many actually do have experience riding it on a bicycle  due the 'Ride for Heart' every year. I once did the 25k ride once and the DVP section is mostly continuous gradual uphill on the way north with the opposite for the way back ... though, I am not particularly familiar with this race course in terms of where you are getting on and off the highway so i am not all that helpful.

It should be really cool!

2012-07-05 2:11 PM

User image

Well I have kind of answered my own question! I did some research and have found this elevation profile:

http://77track7.blogspot.ca/2007/06/cycling-ride-for-heart-2007-elevation.html

Its not exact but its what juniperjen was talking about. It will at least give me and hopefully some others an idea about what they will be facing! A little hilly plus my first 1.5km swim... can't wait for the punishment Smile

2012-07-05 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

I also found this on mapmyride:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/36505274

It's not able to pick up elevation information for me and it's only a bit of the course, not the entire thing.

But it's a little bit more information.

2012-07-06 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4295826

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Lov2tri17 - 2012-07-05 3:11 PM

Well I have kind of answered my own question! I did some research and have found this elevation profile:

http://77track7.blogspot.ca/2007/06/cycling-ride-for-heart-2007-elevation.html

Its not exact but its what juniperjen was talking about. It will at least give me and hopefully some others an idea about what they will be facing! A little hilly plus my first 1.5km swim... can't wait for the punishment Smile

You won't be doing the Gardiner section, correct?  Because there is a downhill going between the connection between the DVP and Gardiner.  But remember it's a highway, a very very busy one so although it does climb it's not all that steep in any one section - it does roll a bit but you are pretty well climbing all the way north and you come back down to the lake.

2012-07-06 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Okay, nevermind, I actually went and looked at the route maps ... and you do actually pretty well do the Ride for Heart Route.  for some reason I thought it was swimming out of Cherry Beach but I was wrong. 

You can pretty well use that link except you don't go all the way to York Mills.  It does hold that it is still the highway and going north on the DVP is generally climbing and you then get the benefit coming back - it is a highway, the grades are not generally really bad and very do-able. The only place I can think of is the Gardiner where it is elevated and there is a pretty steep downhill turn onto the DVP and it can be windy ...

2012-07-09 11:25 AM

User image

New user

Brampton

I mapped the entire triathlon course here: http://runkeeper.com/race/toronto-triathlon-festival-19423/28001

I did the 50K Ride for Heart this year and the course it's almost identical, just a few km shorter, but the entry/exit will be the same at Jamieson. The climb on the DVP is really not that scary, I was expecting it to be a lot harder, but it surprised me in a good way.

2012-07-10 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4301365

User image

NICE! Thank you!
2012-07-14 11:11 PM
in reply to: #4297632

Regular
Toronto, ON
The ramp from the eastbound Gardiner to the northbound DVP is 500m at 4% grade (20m drop from the top of the interchange into the Don Valley).  Of course, what goes down must come up too.
2012-07-17 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4311927

User image

New user

Brampton
I can guarantee that's not where it hurts the most. I am a biking noob, I would have remembered such sufferfest. Now, if you go off the ramp, that'll most likely hurt.
2012-07-19 10:24 AM

User image

New user

Brampton
I just heard on the radio today that only the QEW Easbound and DVP Northbound lanes will be closed for the TTF, so it'll be tighter than what I thought. The turn around will be at Eglinton.

2012-07-21 2:44 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON
Aaaand... now they've shifted the bike course a little so the sprint bikes won't be climbing the Gardiner-to-DVP ramp.  There's a tail added on along Gardiner west of Jameson to make up the mileage.
2012-07-21 6:56 PM

User image

Toronto-ish
Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!!!!
2012-07-22 8:17 PM

Regular
, British Columbia
Twas a fast course out there today! Wind was with you on the way out, and didnt bug you to much on the back.
2012-07-23 8:42 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
It was funny with the way the headwind would find its way through some of the water-side condos and hit ya, then disappear. Great bike course. Same couldn't be said about the swim, however.
2012-07-23 11:16 AM

User image

I actually enjoyed the swim - thought it was cool and very different - was your problem with the water? my major problem was with the kilometre markers on the run course , they were all over the place - I had no idea how far I was from the finish at any point after the turnaround.

2012-07-23 11:29 AM

User image

Yes, I enjoyed the swim course as well. Maybe because it was my first olympic I appreciated how we were in protected waters. The bike was awesome and the run course was great as well except for how busy it was due to non-competitors. I saw two cyclists run into aid station volunteers (two separate times). The one volunteer who was a younger girl looked like she was pretty shook up by it.  Other than that I think overall the race was great!!! Being only my second race I don't have much to compare to but I will be back next year!
2012-07-23 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4325572

User image

New user

I liked the swim course also....although I would have preferred a little time to warm up first.  During the race briefing they said we would get 5 minutes or so to warm up in the water but on race morning they wouldn't let us in and started as soon as everyone was in the water.

The bike course was great.  But the labeling on the run course was a little ridiculous and I would say the signage and communication all in all was pretty poor.  I think that and the elimination of the mandatory briefing the day before are areas they could improve on greatly for next year.

First year kinks aside it was a great course and race.

2012-07-23 11:45 AM

User image

Yes, it would have been great if the run had been closed to the public but not sure it's even possible to do that on the Martin Goodman Trail. The bikers and roller bladers were the major problem - most had no idea there was a race on.

On a separate note I was peeved to have to pay so much to park first for the unnecessary mandatory meeting and then on race day itself. I also though that post race food was pathetic- I've seen better offerings at a local charity 5k

User image

Yes, it would have been great if the run had been closed to the public but not sure it's even possible to do that on the Martin Goodman Trail. The bikers and roller bladers were the major problem - most had no idea there was a race on.

On a separate note I was peeved to have to pay so much to park first for the unnecessary mandatory meeting and then on race day itself. I also though that post race food was pathetic- I've seen better offerings at a local charity 5k

User image

User image

User image

User image

2012-07-24 7:38 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Perhaps for the Olympic the swim course was different (hopefully and likely) but on the sprint there was a 90 degree turn roughly 50 m into the course which everyone reached simultaneously, causing an unnecessary bottleneck that wasn't a particularly positive way to start the day (plenty of contact in my wave).

Not sure why spectators were allowed in the corral area of the swim start, that was crowded enough as it was, and the lack of the 5 minute warmup were were promised was a drawback.

I believe the Saturday briefing is a requirement of Triathlon Canada and/or some other governing body and is not the fault of TTF. Something like that should be available to watch online, there wasn't much info available for the amount of trouble it took out of towners to attend, but luckily the tiny expo helped make it worthwhile with at least some of the stuff on sale.

I enjoyed the day and hope the event will last beyond the Pan Am games, but am doubtful.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Triathlon festival Bike Course Rss Feed  

of 2