General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Miami Beach Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Miami Beach Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miami Beach, Florida
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 23s
Overall Rank = 236/3692
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/400
Pre-race routine:

Ate half a whole wheat bagel with coffee. Walked the mile down from the hotel to my coral.
Event warmup:

Some dynamic stretching.
Run
  • 1h 47m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my worst race to date. I wasn't climatized and really under estimated the heat + humidity factor. I had been training in 45-55 degree temps for the past several months. Big mistake to take on a race like this in such a different climate.
What would you do differently?:

Keep to racing in climates that can mirror my training. Pay closer attention to the course details before signing up!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Not being climatized to the heat.
2. Not training hills thinking this course was flat and it wasn't.
3. Taking a dramamine on the plane the day before. My body cannot handle drugs like this anymore since I live so clean now. I will not be taking dramamine anymore. Better to be nauseous on the plane!

Last updated: 2012-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:23 | 13.1 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/400
Overall: 236/3692
Performance: Below average
Course: I thought Florida was flat. Had I read the race details more carefully, I would have realized that we had to run over the MacArthur Causeway twice. You know, the one that allows the cruise ships docked in Miami to pass under? Yes, big, big hill. I wasn't prepared, especially not in the heat
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-07-05 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Miami Beach Half Marathon

2012-07-06 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4295946

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Miami Beach Half Marathon

Noelle,

From someone who lives, works, and trains in steamy South Florida, I think you did quite well considering.  It may be your slowest HM, but finishing so high in your AG shows that everyone else struggled too.  H&H is tough, even for those of us who train in it.  It can be especially hard coming from other climates.

Yes, and that Rickenbacker Causeway bridge can be a toughie if you try to push it.  I've run it during the Miami Marathon and HM.

Be proud.  You ran a very good time and placed highly on a tough H&H day.  Welcome to my world!

Bill

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Miami Beach Half Marathon Rss Feed