General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hitting the wall with weight loss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-06 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Hitting the wall with weight loss

I'm 37 years old. 12 years ago I weighed 175 lbs and was in good shape, and athletically involved. Over the years with decreased activity and poor eating habits I gradually gained weight up to 218 lbs.  Last year I did my first sprint Tri and in the process of getting back into shape, shed about 20 lbs and got down to 198 lbs.  After the Tri I slipped back into my old habits and by winter time last year I was back up to 215 lbs.  Did a Sprint Tri again this year, and got back down to 200 lbs.  My Tri was a month ago. I have maintained an exercise routine of running 3-4 days a week and swimming 3 mornings a week.

While I have changed my diet in terms of eating smarter and healthier, it is far from structured.  I can't seem to lose any more weight in spite of exercising. I feel I have hit a wall with weight loss and need something more structured and disciplined to lose the next 15 lbs to hit my goal of 185 lbs.

I am self employed and work a lot, and am on the go a lot so that doesn't help in terms of having a structured diet.  I generally get up between 4 and 5am to start working in the morning. I have never been a breakfast person, I simply have no appetite in the morning. I think part of my problem is my food intake is heavily backloaded towards the 2nd half of the day.  

Can anyone please point me to some resources that will help me determine a diet that will help me get over the hump with my weight loss, especially in the mid section area.  Protein Shakes are a good option for me too as I keep soy milk in my refrigerator at the office and drink a couple shakes made with whey protein and soy milk throughout the day at the office.

2012-07-06 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4298390

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Hitting the wall with weight loss

Consider longer races, so you're training volume increases.

That's the demand side of the calories.

On the supply side, try a calorie tracking app if you have a smartphone, or use a website.  Lose It, My Fitness Pal, and Livestrong My Plate are some of the popular sites/apps.

I use Myfitness Pal for iphone.  Keeps me honest on calories.  They have a huge database, and a camera bar code feature to make entering packaged items very easy.

The trick is consistency with these apps, basically follow the calorie numbers, and the weight will come off.

2012-07-07 6:59 PM

User image

Elite

I can relate with your tendency to consume too many calories, especially towards evening/night.

In my opinion, you've gotta make yourself eat breakfast...and be better about evening/night snacking.  It's simple in theory, but getting our butts to fall in line and resist temptation aint always easy!  I know that 1st hand!  

Honestly, to me, it's not rocket science...spread the caloric intake out over the day more evenly...burn more calories...eat healthier foods in moderation.  Bam, you're 185 if you wanna be 185.  btw, since you've got an unpredictable work schedule, you just need to pre-plan.  Have items available...pre-make items so you're not as stressed...try to be ready for the unexpected.

Need a diet?  No way.  You know what's healthy...you know what you should be eating, and you're smart enough to understand portion control...don't diet to hit 185...change your approach and plan on staying at 185.  

Good luck man!

2012-07-09 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus

I think switching from protein shakes to some other form of calorie throughout the day would be beneficial.  Maybe some fruit or veggies with a snack.  I know shakes can be calorie dense.  You could always keep them around too but only drink them on training days.

Any way to cut a few calories here or there will help you.  Also figuring out calories burned and in vs out will help you better reach you goals.

2012-07-09 2:48 PM

User image

New York, NY

Have you tried adopting a Paleo diet? In "The Four-Hour Body", Timothy Ferris outlines a simple fat loss program that combines the basics of a Paleo diet (meat, vegetables and legumes) with a weekly metabolism shocking binge day (eat all the junk food you want) and an optional "4 horseman" stack (green tea, alpha lipoic acid, garlic & sugar cane) to give your body an extra boost. On average, dieters lose 20 lbs in the first month. I went from 200 to 165 in just over 3 months without exercise. Since it was my first and only diet, I followed the instructions 100% and it worked.

Slight restrictions include: No milk (almond/soy milk included), no fruits, no carbs and you must consume a lot of protein (30 grams, I think) within 30mins of waking up. The solution for me was to find protein powder that tastes fine with water & ice (Optimum Nutrition). Other people just eat a bunch of eggs for breakfast.

2012-07-09 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran

Some good advice so far, thanks!

I think tracking caloric intake is a big step. I'll check out those apps and start using one.

Today I have consumed the following (as of 6pm EST):
5am- bowl of Basic 4 cereal w/ a cup of skim milk

8am- cup of non-fat cottage cheese w/ crushed pineapple

10am- power bar

Noon- turkey sandwich w/ colby jack cheese on whole grain bread, and a Herbalife 24 Forumula 1 shake made w/ low fat soy milk

2pm- 6 oz cup of Chobani Greek Yogart

Heading out for a run soon and then I will have a Herbalife 24 Rebuild Endurance shake made w/ low fat soy milk and a salad. 

Edited by BP(MI) 2012-07-09 5:32 PM

2012-08-13 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4301979

How was your energy for trianing since carbs are extremely limited?

2012-08-14 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Since you are 37, you will need fewer calories than when you were 20.  I'm 50 and it is difficult to keep the fat at a loss but the older we get, we do need fewer calories.

I would definitely cut the carbs after lunch.  Also if you can get a quick run or swim in early in the morning, prior to eating anything, even if it is just 30 minutes to help raise your metabolism and burn fat.

protein shakes, I love them but they are to be used as supplements, usually  to help increase body size like for body building when they can't get enough protein by just eating.  They are typically not used for meal replacement.  Try to eat whole food and nothing processed.

2012-08-15 12:22 PM

Massachusetts

BP(MI), I'm 42 and I had to lose 15 lbs for the military , not that I was out of shape but for military standards and a school I am trying to get. So what I did was the South Beach diet phase 1 and 2. I would wake up at 6.

AM

6 H20 / 7 H20 3eggs vegis / 8 H20 / 9H20 / 10 H20 cheesestick / 11 H20 / 12 H20 / 1 H20 small salad w/chicken  oil/vinegar / 2 H20 / 3 H20 / 4 H20 1/4cup almonds / 5 H20 / 6 H20 / 7 H20 small salad with fish oil/vinegar / 8 H20 / 9 H20 cheesestick. the numbers are the time of day.

I know it doesn't look like alot of food but it worked, this is including working out too. I dropped the weight in 1month. Now that the weight is off I realised that the body really doesn't need that much. If I am going to do an LSD run I will eat just a little bit extra the day before.

midessa7 

2012-08-20 5:47 PM

I don't know if this will be helpful at all since my situation is a little different.  I'm trying to lower my body fat % rather than just weight but I struggle sometimes with being really hungry after working out and thus eat too much.  But, I've found the best thing for me is to eat foods that are low cal but high fiber.  The gold medal winner that I've found is lentil soup.  I buy a brand called Nile Spice that's 170 calories but 11 grams of fiber!  (It comes in a cardboard cup and you add boiling water).  I am FULL after eating that but it's barely anything calorie-wise.  Maybe you could pair that with, say, a piece of fruit and some crackers and peanut butter for a nutritious lunch that's not too calorie-filled.

Also, does your grocery store carry Amy's brand soups?  (They are organic and there are tons of different types).  Most of those are pretty filling too: lots of veggies in them and they taste really good!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hitting the wall with weight loss Rss Feed