Foot Traffic
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 02m 37s
Overall Rank = 12/398
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/24
Pre-race routine:

Its hard to be "routine" when you're traveling for a race, but as I've said before as in training, the life of a triathlete requires ability to adapt. Pre-race routine actually begins two days before the race (not the day before). Two days before I started beefing up the carb intake while eliminating the caffine and getting as much rest as possible. Tuesday (the day before) was a total rest day - though we took a driving trip to Canon Beach after driving the race course - with some pasta and Grape Nuts as a snack later on. After I woke in the morning, I had a bagel with Nutella and a Gatorade with Immodium 1000mg as I got ready for the race and headed out.
Event warmup:

After arriving to the race site in ample time, Nikki was "hired" as a volunteer with her bike to support the half-marathon racers while started my pre-race dynamic flexibility exercises. I was pleased with the amount of exercises and space available to get all the exercises completed. After one last pit stop, I went to take in a quick jog when they announced that the marathon would be starting soon, so I turned back and headed towards the start line.
Run
  • 3h 02m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I didn't get to the start line quickly enough, I started three deep, which isn't really that bad anyway...I just like to be in the front. My intentions were to take out the first few miles slowly at 7:30 pace, then once fully warmed up, quickly build into the race. As the groups took off, the lead pack was gone and I was in the middle of the lead pack (which I knew I wasn't going to keep up with) and everyone behind me. I did get shin splints which as typical (for me), were no longer a problem after 3 or 4 miles. By this time, I was pacing at 7:10/mile which was a little faster than I originally wanted, but it was also hard to guage due to the climate difference. Also about this time a decent pack caught up to me and didn't seem to be heading away too fast, so I made the strategic decision to keep up with this pack at least for a little while. I was glad I did as they helped me stay on pace for the next 10 or so miles. It was about this time that the pack started to thin out with Mt. St. Helens in the foreground - and I was the one to break from them! After the u-turn, we had a 6.5 mile run back towards the main loop where I was maintaining a 7:02 pace at this point. After 15 miles, I still felt pretty good but I knew not to get too excited just yet as there was still 11 miles to go and ANYTHING can happen. I continued through the race, consuming my Gatorade Chews every 45 minutes when I was approximately one mile in ahead of the next aid station where I could take in some water to wash them down. They really are the best (tasty and easily dissolvable)! No Gatorade on the course so I stuck with water and every other aid station I took the electrolyte drink (and water). My legs were showing some signs of fatigue but not terrible during those last miles. I thought I counted approximately 20 marathoners ahead of me and I know I picked off several throughout the run, though it became almost impossible to know who I was passing once back on the loop. I was pleasantly surprised with my ability to keep at a 6:55-6:58 pace through the last 10 miles, where I was able to take the last mile at a 6:50 pace heading through the finish chute. It was really encouraging to keep a sub-7:00 pace and hear people (runners and supporters) comment, "wow, that's a marathoner," etc. It was quite encouraging and only made me feel like running faster.
What would you do differently?:

I've come to dislike the question, "What would you do differently?" I prefer, "What did you learn?" I think we can learn just as much from our successes as we can from our failures. With that, I learned a few things during the race:
1. My endurance continues to build!
2. Quality (miles) far outweigh Quantity (miles).
3. In a marathon, Don't be a Hero during the first half.
4. In a marathon, Don't be a Zero during the second half.
5. Know the course! I don't know how many people had no idea where to go! Seriuosly??? There were course maps and cones and volunteers! Its your responsibility to know the course (not to mention it helps plan against any surprises). I don't think I overdid it at all by asking questions on Facebook, asking questions at packet pick-up, then driving the course. I had no surprises.
6. Dynamic Flexibility is KEY. This minimized race and post-race fatigue (though fatigue is going to ensue, regardless).
7. Keep learning. Learn from the pros. Learn from others' mistakes. Learn from my mistakes. Learn from my successes.
Post race
Warm down:

After walking for a good 5 or 10 minutes with two waters, I found a massage table and waited in line for about 15 more minutes, stretching carefully and trying to regain a proper breathing pattern. I took off my shoes so that I could see the damage done to my toes as I felt something happen on one of my right toes during the last 10 miles (a blood blister formed on one of my right toes).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is a tough question, considering I ran faster than I thought I would run, though time and mileage and proper training will only make me faster. But seriously, I beat my first marathon time by 14 minutes, qualified myself to Boston by over 7 minutes, and came in 12th overall. I love superceding myself!

Event comments:

Though the organization of the race could use some tweeks, the organizers were very nice and friendly. Of course, the race wouldn't be what it is without the volunteers!

Last updated: 2012-01-08 12:00 AM
Running
03:02:37 | 26.2 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 12/398
Performance: Good
Course: One loop that included an out-back leg with views of Mount St. Helens as I ran past sheep fields and floating river houses before connecting back to the half-marathon loop around the island.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes