General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jack Generic, Greater Gator, Bastrop Pines Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-07 11:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: Jack Generic, Greater Gator, Bastrop Pines

I have Marble Falls on July 22nd.  Training going well.  On Sept 2nd  I am doing Austin Tri Rock.  I want this to be my best.

I need a race in between around  August 12-19th.  Should I do a sprint like Jacks or Bastrop Pine or the Greater Gator Olympic with Heartbreak Hill?  All are run by good race directors.  I have not done any of these races.  I am leaning toward the Greater Gator, I guess I am just a glutten for punishment.   Any comments on these races.

I know Jacks will have many Tri folks from Austin, and Greater is done at a great venue. 

Any advice appreciated.  I know Marble Falls is almost any Olympic, Austin Tri is Olympic.  Are 3 Olympic's too much in 6 weeks? 

2012-07-08 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4299572

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Jack Generic, Greater Gator, Bastrop Pines

I am having almost the same dilemna! I was thinking the Greater Gator because I want to do an Oly, but its basically the same course as the Gatorbait.  Jack's Generic looks like a pretty fast course, and Lost Pines in Bastrop looks hilly.   I'm thinking Lost Pines so I can race with a friend, and Jack's Generic is kinda close to some other events I'm doing.

Any of them are good races though!

2012-07-10 4:47 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Lost Pines it is!
2012-07-11 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4304442

User image

Veteran
Austin

Congratulations on Bastrop.  

I hurt my back on Monday.  I do not know what happened.  It is better today I am  going for a short bike ride.  Still very tender.  I have not had any back issues in years.

I have not decided which one yet.  Leaning toward Gator.  Jacks and Bastrop seem awful short, anyone have any comments on these races.

2012-07-26 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4306587

User image

San Antonio/Austin, TX
 Can't comment on Bastrop, but I've done Jack's Generic in 2008, 09, and 10. Didn't do it last year, but I'll be doing it again this year. I think Jack and Adams always puts on a great race. I did the Gatorbait this year for the third time as well, and have done the small Texan twice as well. I love Boerne and love pushing myself up Heartbreak Hill. If your back is an issue, I would say Jack's might be a little less demanding physically, of course if you're feeling good at the race, you could always push it and go for faster time. May be just me, but I think Jack and Adams puts on better events than Redemption. Hope your back gets well before whichever you choose.

Mike

Edited by Michael Travis 2012-07-26 12:37 PM
2012-07-26 4:40 PM

If you want punishment, Bastrop is not an easy race--plenty of hills.  But it's a good race, and for a great cause.

2012-07-26 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4331960

User image

Veteran
Austin
Michael Travis - 2012-07-26 12:36 PM  Can't comment on Bastrop, but I've done Jack's Generic in 2008, 09, and 10. Didn't do it last year, but I'll be doing it again this year. I think Jack and Adams always puts on a great race. I did the Gatorbait this year for the third time as well, and have done the small Texan twice as well. I love Boerne and love pushing myself up Heartbreak Hill. If your back is an issue, I would say Jack's might be a little less demanding physically, of course if you're feeling good at the race, you could always push it and go for faster time. May be just me, but I think Jack and Adams puts on better events than Redemption. Hope your back gets well before whichever you choose.

Mike

Thanks.  My back is better.  I did OK at Marble Falls until the run. Then I tanked.  I need to work on my endurance.  I ran out of steam about 2 miles into the run.  I thought I did OK on the bike, but my time was off.  I need to train better.  My wife says I crazy but I am going to do the Greater Gator.  I need the extra miles.  I like both Redemption and High Five.  I think both do good job.  The cost is the same right now for both events.  Hope you enjoy Jack Generic.  Best of luck.

2012-07-27 1:21 AM
in reply to: #4332979

User image

San Antonio/Austin, TX
glad your back is better. Thanks for the well wishes, and likewise for you at Greater Gator. I really do enjoy Boerne Lake. 
2012-08-07 4:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I signed up for the Greater Gator although I'm located a little farther North, like Fort Worth.  But I'm excited to be heading down to the hill country.  I love it down there!  And, my wife is excited because we're headed to Fredericksburg after the race...go figure!

I'm getting there early on Friday to drive the bike route, just to see what I've gotten myself into!  I think I have it mapped correctly, heading out and back on Ranger Creek Rd.  It seems like I read that some of the run is off road.  Any issues there to worry about, holes, climbs, etc.?  Any tips for a out-of-town noob would be much appreciated!

Edit: Good luck in Bastrop, another favorite family stop!  Lots of fun running there!  That was my first pick but scheduled to work.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2012-08-07 4:56 AM
2012-08-07 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4350463

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
HelmoAlkou - 2012-08-07 4:51 AM

I signed up for the Greater Gator although I'm located a little farther North, like Fort Worth.  But I'm excited to be heading down to the hill country.  I love it down there!  And, my wife is excited because we're headed to Fredericksburg after the race...go figure!

I'm getting there early on Friday to drive the bike route, just to see what I've gotten myself into!  I think I have it mapped correctly, heading out and back on Ranger Creek Rd.  It seems like I read that some of the run is off road.  Any issues there to worry about, holes, climbs, etc.?  Any tips for a out-of-town noob would be much appreciated!

Edit: Good luck in Bastrop, another favorite family stop!  Lots of fun running there!  That was my first pick but scheduled to work.

It's basically the same course as the Gatorbait but longer.  So expect some good hills on the bike and a few on the run.  The bike includes "Heartbreak Hill" which is short distance but steep, with a ~20% grade at one point.  Lots of rollers.   The run had a good portion (1-2 miles) off road, but its pretty well packed dirt.  A few good climbs.

Boerne Lake is a great venue though, you'll have tons of fun.  Enjoy Fredricksburg too!

2012-08-08 12:21 AM
in reply to: #4352117

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Thanks man!

2012-08-17 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4352117

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Great race venue!  One change from the previous year, we ran over the dam and back, through some trees and around the park before heading out the entrance.  I really enjoyed this race and I'll be back next year!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2012-08-17 10:16 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jack Generic, Greater Gator, Bastrop Pines Rss Feed