General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Century Ride in 2 1/2 months - Training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-08 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: Century Ride in 2 1/2 months - Training?

Since my one and only tri is over for the year, I've been doing a lot more cycling and discovered the joys of group rides! Surprised  I usually focus on running during the summer and fall, but PF is plaguing my left foot, so I'm going to ride a lot more instead.

I want to do the Honolulu Century Ride on September 28th, but am unsure how to train for a stand-along cycling event.  I want to finish comfortably.

Right now my weekend rides are about 50 miles and are feeling "easy."  Outside of being really hungry at the end, they aren't wearing me out.  Weekday riding, however, has been non-existent, so I need to get back to a training plan, but don't know where to start - Xs per week/intensity/duration.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

2012-07-09 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4300548

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Century Ride in 2 1/2 months - Training?

I would imagine that doing weekday (4-5) rides of 15 - 30 miles and weekend rides of 60 - 80 should put you in good shape for riding a century.

Mix up the intensities during the week, throw in some intervals.  The intervals won't help you ride further but get there a bit faster.

Really you just need time in the saddle to finish a century, practice fueling for a ride that long, and making sure your position is good enough so you don't end up hunched over in pain at the end.

2012-07-09 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4300548

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Century Ride in 2 1/2 months - Training?

I agree, just start getting some longer rides in on the weekend and a few shorter during the week. You have plenty of time to build up the long rides. Get your nutrition settled and add a few hours during the week outside or on the trainer. I like to do some intervals early in a ride, then finish off the mid-week rides in Z2/Z3 to extend them out a bit.

To make the interval design easy, look at the hills on the course and determine how long it will take you to to do most of them. E.g. if most hills take less than or up to 5 minutes, design your intervals to be 5 minutes at Z4 and only do a few intervals. Don't bother going beyond 10 minutes, this gets into dedicated hill training efforts. If you're bored you can also do some 30:30's @ VO2max/120% FTP. These will help with group rides and rollers. Throw 10 of these in during a 1 - 1.5 hr trainer ride. Depending on how quickly you recover between workouts, I wouldn't do more than 1-2 interval sessions/wk. Soon you'll find yourself chatting up the hills while everyone else is panting.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Century Ride in 2 1/2 months - Training? Rss Feed