General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-06 8:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16
16 week sprint swim focused. The triathlon is July 30th................
Maybe you could look at my logs.....................currently I have been swimming alot and doing 2 runs a week and one bike a week. I have been biking just the last 3 weeks. I am a regular runner. I have done 5ks, 10ks, 1/2 marathons, and 2 marathons. I start swim lessons last week and I just completed a 1000meter swim portion of a relay triathlon. If you don't have any pointers. Wish me luck...........................Karen

2006-06-06 8:57 PM
in reply to: #445535

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at th
I would try to get some more time on the bike and work on doing a few bricks.
2006-06-06 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Subject: RE: I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at th
Go get um Karen - Good Luck!!
2006-06-06 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
San Jose, California

I'll wish you luck, but you don't need it --- you will do great!

-Mark
2006-06-06 9:20 PM
in reply to: #445553

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
I am a beginner but in my beginners opinion:
1. you seem to be able to do the distance for the swim - just keep plugging away so you feel comfortable doing freestyle in open water
2. You clearly can do the run distance

So, you need to focus on getting some miles on the bike (aim for at least one and a half times distance of the sprint distance but build gradually) and like the other poster said do some bricks (run straight off the bike) - there's nothing like the feeling of doing that for the first time!

2006-06-06 9:59 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Yep - more miles on the bike...keep up the good work!

2006-06-07 12:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

I just looked at your log.  Not much in the way of rate.  Not just time spent running, swim etc but five swims of 50 yards each on the minute, etc.

Long distance swimming is really about slowing your HR down.  If you HR goes down, breathing needs go down and you can really go about any distance you want.

When you swim try to stretch out, enter the water at your centerline, pause for a second (yes I mean a half count), accelterate your arm and exit past your thigh.  You want as long of a stoke as possible.  Count them in the pool and keep reducing the number required to go across.

Depending on what Tri you do, this is not really that complicated.  Train and focus on your weakness and it will be a piece of cake.

2006-06-07 6:24 AM
in reply to: #445656

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
bikingbruise - 2006-06-07 1:27 AM

... distance swimming is really about slowing your HR down.  If you HR goes down, breathing needs go down and you can really go about any distance you want.

When you swim try to stretch out, enter the water at your centerline, pause for a second (yes I mean a half count), accelterate your arm and exit past your thigh.  You want as long of a stoke as possible.  Count them in the pool and keep reducing the number required to go across.

Swimming is about getting you to the bike with as much left in the tank as possible - because you are going to have to run after that.

Great swim technique advice above.  One thing to add: when your arm enters the water and you stretch out ... pretend that you are trying to reach something about an 1" too far and you have to get on your tip toes and turn slightly to extend your arm that little extra distance.

This will cause you to rotate - which causes more forward momentum.  This will also allow you to pause + glide for that half count (thereby milking the momentum) before your catching and pull all the way back to your thigh. (One way to be sure that you are doing a full stroke is to have your fingers should brush your thigh to ensure a full stroke).

Good luck!

2006-06-08 7:59 PM
in reply to: #445541

User image

Veteran
Yep, I am ready for a brick. I am going to do my bike ride on sunday and then add a little run right after I get off the bike.........................Karen
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16 Rss Feed