Overcast
Total Time = 4h 29m 49s
Overall Rank = 5637/15743
Age Group = F2529
Age Group Rank = 582/2019
Pre-race routine:

Scripture
Light Breakfast (1/2 bagel)
Hydrate (12 oz an hour before start time)

Event warmup:

Easy walk to warm up muscles
Light stretching
Run
  • 4h 29m 49s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty strong up until mile 21. My legs got tired around 21, which is where I planned on fatiguing. What I didn't expect is how sore my shoulders and feet were. My feet were what really bothered me. I don't know why this run was so different from my training runs. My feet had experienced soreness before, but not like this. It really made a difference on my time which frustrated me a little bit.

Coach jumped in with me again around 24 and gave me the kick in the butt I needed to finish strong. What an amazing feeling to cross that finish line!

Looking back over the race, I really blew my nutrition. I had a plan worked out, but I pretty much threw it out the window before the race even started. I knew where all the water and Poweraide stops were and I had planned to take liquids every other water stop. I would start with water and then alternate with Poweraide. I also had planned to take two gels on the run...one at mile 10 and the other at mile 19. That morning, I decided that I didn't like how one of my gels was sitting on my leg. ( I pin them to the inside waistband of my shorts.) I took it off and decided I would use one at mile 10 and then take the gel they offered late in the course. Not a smart decision! It really messed with my mind as things happened during the run. After 18 miles (close to where I had planned to take my get) I started thinking about how I should have stuck to my plan. I wondered if I would have enough energy to finish strong. I started craving cold water, which they didn't have on the course. The Poweraide was cold, so I drank more of that than I needed. On and on it went! I was reacting to my fatigue and discomfort, took in too much of some things and not enough of others. I have to get this worked out before my next race!

Overall, this was an amazing experience! I loved running for TNT and wouldn't trade this experience for anything!
What would you do differently?:

Stick with my plan.

I would not have beat myself up mentally during the run when my pace dropped. This didn't help my time or make the last 4 miles go any faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Slow walk (about 15 minutes)
Water
Banana (15 minutes after run)

I laid down in the grass after I checked in with TNT and wanted to sleep so bad. After much nagging by a friend, I did some very, very, light stretching. Honestly, I didn't want to move any part of my body. I'm not sure how I even got off of the ground!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Soreness in feet.
Nutrition

Event comments:

This race was well run! I know why so many people travel to San Diego each year to compete in this marathon! The expo was fun and a great draw. Lots of fun!

Last updated: 2006-06-06 12:00 AM
Running
04:29:49 | 26.2 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 581/2019
Overall: 5634/15743
Performance: Good
10K--57:01 1/2 Marathon-2:02:32 20 Miles--3:25:09
Course: www.rocknrollmarathon.com/course_info.html This course was a bit more challenging that I thought it would be. The first 6 miles were not bad...all downhill. Around mile 7, we started running on Pacific Highway which was tough. The road was at an angle and uphill the whole time, which was really hard on the legs! The course eased up after mile 10...downhill! Yea!!! There were only a few more bumps in the course after that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-06 10:19 PM

User image

Fort Worth, TX
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Marathon San Diego

2006-06-09 6:56 AM
in reply to: #445614

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Marathon San Diego

Fantastic job on your run!!!!  Was this your first marathon?????  I love reading these race reports!

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Marathon San Diego Rss Feed