World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 29m 44s
Overall Rank = 987/1224
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 69/86
Pre-race routine:

Slept from 8:30 PM the previous night until 3:30 AM so I felt as if I got plenty of sleep. After waking I ate two bananas, energy bar, 20 oz gatorade, 1 cup of wheaties fuel cereal and a rehydrate gel.
Before event started I had a hammer gel as well as a cup of coffee.
Arrived at the transition area early as to get a good parking place. Totally unnecessary. We were told to get there early due to limited parking and they put everyone at the farthest lot anyway. If I would have known I would not had arrived until about an hour later.
I set up my area pretty quick, inflated tires, talked with a few other triathletes then went back to the truck for a short rest.
Event warmup:

Did not do much warm up other than stretching.
Swim
  • 53m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not really sure what happened. I thought I'd come in around 45 minutes at the most but I took an outside line to keep out of the crowds and ended up adding .3 miles in distance. I check my GPS and I was definitely zig zagging. No cramping at all.
What would you do differently?:

I would start in rear but stay closer to bouys on the straights and turns. I will also practice sighting more. People were all over the place as was I so it was hard at times to figure out where I was.
Transition 1
  • 05m 50s
Comments:

I had a small bottle of Advocare Spark and Arginine Extreme sitting in my area so I gulped it down. I put on socks and shoes, tri top, headband, sunglasses and helmet. I probably should have wore my tri top on the swim as it took extra time to get it on. Everything elde went fairly smooth. I did forget to take my rehydrate gel and to rinse out my sinuses.

Leave tri top on for swim.
Bike
  • 3h 28m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I actually handled my hydration well. I used a two hour bottle of perpetuem, a bottle of rehydrate (only used half)and a bottle of water to start. On the bike course at each of the three stops I rode through grabbing a bottle of water for a drink with the rest over my head. I grabbed one more and put it in the cage. I only grabbed 1 bottle of Ironman drink on the course and was just fine. I took approximately 6 enduralytes on the bike course also. I only had two gels during the entire bike and that was it and I was just fine.

The one decision I made to save my legs was to coast down most of the hills and it was a good one because I was flying by many that were pedalling due to my size.

More hill training.
Transition 2
  • 03m 26s

Not much I would do different. I felt the transition went well. the stop included a bathroom break so without the bathroom I would have been sub 3 minutes easy.
Run
  • 2h 58m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Did great on my hydration this time. At each water station I would get two cups of water and a cup of coke. I think the coke really perked me up a few times. I would drink I cup of water and the coke and pour the third cup over my head. I would also get two water sponged placing one in the front of my tri top and one in the back. it really helped keep me cool. i also put ice in my hat a few times.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning.

Last updated: 2012-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:26 | 2112 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 70/86
Overall: 1038/1224
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: The course was rectangular and you did three sides of it.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:28:43 | 56 miles | 16.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 67/86
Overall: 972/1224
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly as shit. The first 12 miles were an increase in elevation of almost 1,000 feet. I did not have any time to warm up. The hills hit from about 1 mile into course. The good side was the down hills. You flew down them. After the 12 miles there were still a few nice hills but I was able to enjoy the scenery and a few fast downhills more.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:58:19 | 13.1 miles | 13m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 69/86
Overall: 987/1224
Performance:
Course: Hilly, hilly and more hilly. I jammed my big toe pretty bad coming down the big hill at about mile 4 or 5. By the end of the run I was afraid to take my shoe off. My big toe on my left foot was purple and swollen. Got a new pair of running shoes after I got home.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes