Capital District YMCA
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 38s
Overall Rank = 217/310
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Two separate transitions, first come first serve, not assigned spots in either, so started at T2, set up, got body marking, used REAL bathroom in the Y, then went to T1/race start. Set up T1, met up with Y tri class and other BTC members, picked up chip, had banana, coffee and fiber 1 bar. Used the Facilities (no portapotties!) as the first wave started since the wait was too long previously. 9th wave, and a 15 minute delay gave lots of extra time.
Event warmup:

Not allowed in water, so just all of the walking between T1, race start and car...
Swim
  • 07m 37s
  • 325 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really good for me! Here's video of the swim start (my wave) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Siy8Cb220&sns=em
What would you do differently?:

Not stop to doggie paddle that one time... Not be so intimidated by others and get closer to the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

No problem finding my bike since I was the 2nd to last swim wave BUT there were no volunteers in transition (except to hand out water) and fans and friends were IN transition all over the place, collecting the racers' things, and in one case, helping the girl do her transition. Also, many racers were mounting their bikes at the transition spot and riding through transition. No one to say otherwise. You can see it all in the video my husband shot (from behind the snow fence where he was supposed to be....) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK5pSXYwdI0&sns=em

Do shoes first, save helmet and sunglasses longer so I don't drip onto my sunglasses and have to try to clean them.
Bike
  • 38m 6s
  • 11.66 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

One concerning thing happened towards the end of the bike. Western Ave (State Route 5) is very busy even on a Sunday morning. They had 1 lane coned off in our direction for us to use. When we reached the section where the cars were backed up for about a mile, one decided he didn't want to wait anymore, so he cut between the cones and came over to our lane almost hitting the cyclist in front of me. He did turn off at the next side road, but still.... There'd been volunteers at all previous cross roads until this coned off section (and police at all intersections where cars had to be stopped) but no one here. Guess they didn't think anyone would do such a thing.

I'd like to say pace myself more to save something for the run, but I like how fast I did this leg and how hard I worked on it. It wasn't completely all out!
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Some bleeping guy put his fancy-smancy shoes still attached tri bike ON my bucket blocking not only the rack where I was supposed to put my bike (as staked out by my towel and bucket) but also blocking access to my stuff. So I try to pick it up - it's too tall for the rack - I've got his bike in one hand, mine in the other - what the ???? am I supposed to do with his bike. Sorry guy next to me (also a nice tri bike) I had to lean it on yours.... You were probably already DONE with the race anyway - like the other ones coming in with their grandparents and all to get their stuff. (The problem with being slow and in one of the last waves!)
Things got messed up when his bike was on mine and I never saw my inhaler, which realized I really needed in the run.... so

Put my inhaler where I can miss it and take it whether I think I need it or not!!!
Take up more space with my stuff so next person gets that it's my space. I got there almost 2 hours before the race started to do that. I suspect this guy showed up 2 minutes before T2 closed (although were there any volunteers there to close it????) and had to find someplace to shove his stuff in. I saw one guy arrive at the start with his fancy tri bike (so I guess he didn't need the time?) 10 minutes before the race was supposed to have started. A little concerning since there weren't assigned spots in either transition area.
Run
  • 37m 33s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 11m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I wish I'd taken my inhaler. Wish I could've pushed myself harder. I did only walk through water stations, then the first part of the steep ending hill. Of course that's where everyone's waiting, so you have to push up it. Video of the beginning of the run - where I still have one glove on LOL! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzOfLj6k24&sns=em
Here's the ugly video of the big ending hill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FaH1PmQZ2k&sns=em
video of finish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkP7teqmjQg&sns=em

Train more, get stronger for that distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit - grabbed a water - went under the fire hose to cool off. Walked some more. Went to the end of race food. Had a couple orange slices. That's when Dan asked me what the pointy thing in my hat was. Oh! There's my inhaler. I'd put it in my hat on the bucket so I would see it and take it in T2, but when jerk put his bike on my bucket, my hat was on the ground, and apparently I just put it on. LOL!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a bit out of breath and heart rate being higher than normal.

Event comments:

It's ok for a local short sprint tri. I'd consider doing it again - it seems to be good distances for me at this point in my training.

Last updated: 2012-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:37 | 325 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/310
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: L-shaped point to point. Lots of weeds
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:06 | 11.66 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Min. HR - 120 Max. HR - 154 Ave. HR - 145
Wind: Little
Course: Variety from bike path to major state route 5.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:33 | 03.25 miles | 11m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Min. HR - 140 Max. HR - 162 Ave. HR - 150 This is really high for me on a run.
Course: Hilly. Some what shaded. Started and Ended at Y - ran through apartment complex driveway with speed bumps, out onto road with no shoulder, into a development, then back. Ended with a significant up hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No