United States
Korff Enterprises Sports Marketing & Event Management
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 48s
Overall Rank = 399/3493
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 54/373
Pre-race routine:

I have been excited for this race for several months. We came into the city on Friday night. Spent all day Saturday doing some shopping in in between the mandatory meeting and bike check in. I can't go to NYC without seeing a show, so we did that Saturday night as well and didn't get back to the room until 11ish. I was so excited for this race, I couldn't sleep. I think I finally fell asleep around 12:45 or so, but a huge thunderstorm came through and woke us up. I probably only had about 2 hours of sleep over all.

Got up around 3:50 to get some coffee (in the hotel lobby BTW) and catch the shuttle to transition. I was feeling alright, but not 100% for the race. Got dropped off around 79th, stopped at the restroom at the boat basin, then went to transition to get my stuff set up. It was already hot and steamy even at 4:30 in the morning. They had pumps all over the transition area to pump up your tires, so no need to BYOP.

Left transition area around 5:00 or so head to the swim start which was over 1 mile up the river. I knew I was going to have visit the restroom again on my way to the swim start and I thought I was running late, so I hustled to the restrooms near the swim start, then got to the corral for my wave start. Had a bottle of water and a bottle of Infinit on the way. It did take about 20 minutes to walk to the swim start with all of the masses. Put my wetsuit on when I got to the starting corral and was already dripping with sweat.
Event warmup:

Nothing other than the walk and the run to the restroom.
Swim
  • 17m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was very easy. I was a bit concerned because I usually want a warm up swim, but there was no warm up. Just line up, wait for the whistle and jump off the starting barge. It was amazing how quick it went from being up on the seawall to being in the water. I was in one of the first age group waves, so it was great. I don't know what I would have done if I was in one of the last waves. I would have waited a long time and probably overheated.

Jumped in, sighted off a docked cruise ship in the distance, and tried to stay as far out from the wall as possible to get the most current. Had very little contact, ran into some debris along the way, but nothing too gross. Got to the end of the swim and kept swimming until a volunteer grabbed my hand and pulled me out. With the current, I was expecting about 18 minutes and I finished under that. So far so good.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Great easy swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 19s
Comments:

It was about 1/2 mile run from swim exit to the TA. I jogged the whole way. Got to my bike, started pulling the wetsuit off with feet while putting my GPS on my wrist. Left leg got stuck because timing chip came out from under wetsuit, cost me a few seconds. Glasses on, helmet on, and go. I wanted to go faster on the bike path before you got in the hill, but didn't feel like passing anyone.

Make sure timing chip is well under wetsuit leg.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Climb out of transition towards the highway got my HR going VERY high. I was in the 170/160 BPM (upper zone 4) for most of this ride and couldn't get it to come down. I started getting a headache from overexertion about halfway through the bike and kept trying to make a conscious effort to pace myself. I didn't do so well at that. Not sure if it was the lack of sleep or what just the adrenaline from the excitement of the race.

Anyway, I kept going hard the whole bike, even with the headache. Drank 2 bottles of Infinit along the ride. The hills didn't seem as bad as I thought they would be, but they still slowed me down. Coming down them, I was cruising.

The second turn around was the worst, you go down a hill, hit the brakes, turn at the bottom, and come back up. You can't use your downhill momentum on that one.

Maybe get more sleep the night before.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Simple transition. Rack bike, put on socks and shoes, grab race belt, grab hat, and go.
Run
  • 49m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. The crowd along 72nd street was great. Cowbells, constant words of encouragement. They make it so you want to go fast. Almost too fast. The people in Central Park were awesome. Constant words of encouragement. With all of that encouragement, if it was a 5k, I would have had my best pace ever.

Too bad it was a 10K. The run was where the wheels fell off. I got hot and exhausted at the half way mark. I had to push myself hard to get through the finish in one piece. The last mile was the worst. I think I was a mental wreck after the high heart rate and the headache. I barely remember coming through the shoot. I was flat out exhausted and left it all on the course. The cold, wet towel at the end was awesome. That helped me recover.

Not sure. Probably pace myself more at the beginning of the run. That is very difficult to do given the crowds on 72nd street.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, had some musclemilk, and had someone from the Reebok sports club stretch out my legs. Went to the Accenture VIP tent and they had cold washcloths in a cooler. Best thing ever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep and too much fun in NYC the night before the race.

Event comments:

I was in the first wave, so I had everything going for me (current, no crowds on the bike, lower temperature). The whole weekend was awesome. The organization was tremendous, the volunteers were amazing! Something to be said for seeing tri-bikes all over the place in the New York Hilton lobby and on the subway. Just a great weekend and a race to remember. Too bad performance wasn't what I had hoped for.

Last updated: 2012-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/373
Overall: 287/3493
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Point to point downstream with the current down the Hudson river.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:49 | 24.85 miles | 19.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 56/373
Overall: 458/3493
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back along west side highway. Some decent hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:52 | 06.21 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 118/373
Overall: 727/3493
Performance: Bad
Course: Up 72nd street and the north loop in Central Park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes