General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-06-16 3:28 AM

Subject: Road Bikes
I am currently riding a mountain bike for road training (with 1" slick tyres and rigid forks), getting about 17.5mph average speed, getting very tired in the legs due to the increased number of turns of the crank due to the gearing. Although over time my average speed is increasing it is a very slow improvement. I tend to cycle twice/three times a week, alternating short fast routes (<10miles) with longer easier efforts (>10miles), I tend to do speed/rest work to some extent within each of these work outs. Would I be greatly better off purchasing a road bike (lighter frame, more suitable gear ratios, more suitable riding position) or should I be altering my training schedule to take in a greater quantity/quality riding.
Hope somebody can offer advice.

2003-06-20 11:56 AM
in reply to: #93

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Road Bikes
I would definitely think you would do much better on a road bike. I switched to a road bike about 2 years ago and increased my speed about 3 mph the first time i rode it. You definitely would have a much bigger advantage over those on a mountain bike. But if you aren't too sure if you are going to stick to riding, or tris, I would not invest in a road bike, and I would stick with the mountain bike. Also, remember, they do have off road tris and duathlons where you would be much better off on a mountain bike, and these are a lot of fun, so don't get rid of your mtn bike.

But there is no way you won't improve on a road bike and you won't get as tired so quick. I hope this advice helps. Good luck.
2003-06-20 3:45 PM

Oakland, CA USA
If you've been training on a mountain bike and go out for a ride on a road bike you will feel like a real stud (ette). It takes quite a bit more energy to power a mountain bike. Everything weighs more, from the frame, to the wheels, to probably even the pedals themselves. The slicks help some to cut down on friction, but they are still wider than a road's tires. I think once you get on a road bike you won't want to get off. It will definitely save your legs. I know folks who start out their training on their heavy bikes and then transition to their road bikes for a couple weeks before their events. They get strong! A gal in the tri-club I'm training with had her hybrid bike stolen. Somebody lent her a road bike and she's decided that the bike theft was the best thing that could have happened to her training!! Of course, if you aren't planning on continuing tris or bike events don't spend the money, but if you've found a new hobby than absolutely buy a road bike. But mountain biking is a great sport too!! Nothing wrong with having two bikes!!!
2005-07-02 4:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Just switched to a road bike after mtn biking in my first 3 tris. My road bike is 15lbs lighter, and I've increased my cruising speed by 3mph in one week. It does make a difference!
2005-07-02 7:48 PM

New user
Why not do both?
2005-07-10 10:06 PM

Switched from Mountain to Road last year and the improvement was instant...especially going uphill.

Not quite as comfortable at first but you get over that as the mileage builds up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bikes Rss Feed