General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Haven Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Haven, Michigan
United States
Grand Haven Triathlon, LLC.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 44s
Overall Rank = 11/141
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/21
Pre-race routine:

Went to the packet pick up and race expo on Saturday afternoon. What a joke that was. The volunteers had no idea what they were doing (likely not their fault). They did not even check my ID or my USAT card. They would not have given me a swim cap if I did not remind them. The expo had 1 vendor and a couple other sponsors handing out stuff but it was pretty lame. The course maps for the run were also different than what they showed on the website. For such a great race venue they really fail here.

Up at 5:30 am - showered - body glide - race suit. Head down for light breakfast consisting of PBJ sandwich and banana. Prepared my bottles - 1 serving Infinit for the bike - 1 bottle of gatorade to sip prior to race start - 1 small bottle of water to wash down my gel 20 minutes prior to start.

Headed out the door about 6:00 for the 10 minute drive to transition. Got a fairly close parking spot and headed to transition. Got setup in about 15 minutes and then got bodymarked.
Event warmup:

We had to leave transition about 7:00 to make the long walk to the swim start for the 7:30 meeting and 7:45 start. I took my GU at 7:00 which is much earlier than I would have liked but not a big deal. I got to the race start right as the meeting started. That is a long walk - maybe 1.75 miles or so. I could not hear anything the RD was saying so got my wetsuit on and jumped in the lake for a few strokes.

The lake had flipped overnight. It was 10+ degrees colder. It was 75 yesterday and they were saying 63 today. I actually prefer 63 for a wetsuit swim.
Swim
  • 27m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a run start from the beach to the first turn buoy which is approximately 100 yards from shore. This is always a very physical first 200 yards because the turn buoy is so close and there were about 100 or so folks in the all male wave. After that it really thins out.

The wind was blowing out of the north so knew this would likely be a slower swim than last year. The nice thing was that waves were 1' or less which was good. The buoys were not really setup in a straight line so really needed to focus on finding that yellow turn buoy as soon as possible since it was out quite a bit further than the sprint distance buoys.

It was really an uneventful swim for the most part. I got into a steady rythem. My roll needed to come a little farther to compensate for the waves a little bit but other than a couple mouthfuls here and there everything went good. It was a nice clear swim in about 10-12 feet deep water and sun coming up over the beach.

I made the turn buoy and headed for shore directly into the sun. Apparently they had put out a buoy on the beach but I just followed a couple folks in front of me and they found it! There is a 300 yard run through the beach sand which aint fun. I finally looked at my watch when I hit the boardwalk and it said 27:30. Not good but put it behind me. I slipped on my shoes that I had set there on my walk down to the beach and started the long run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. I should probably run harder from the beach to transition since it is so long it can be significant. I was still running a decent clip.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

The long run to transition took about 6-7 minutes. I had not taken off my wetsuit yet as I did not want to carry it that far. It got stuck on both heels so took about 5-10 seconds longer than it should have. I got my shoes on and helmet buckled ok and took off.

Get the wetsuit off easier.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty determined to have a good hard ride on this course and my legs felt absolutely great which was a good sign. The bike starts out along the beach and passed 3 people in the first mile before heading up the tough hills on Grand Avenue off the beach. I had to get in my granny gear to get up the first one. Once past those tough little hills we take a right on to Lakeshore Drive and it is a pretty fast course with good pavement and relatively flat minus Rosy Mound hill. I began picking people off one by one.

I did a 2x20 FTP workout on this section a week ago and averaged 23.5 mph for both intervals so I knew I could ride well on this course. I was not going to ride today with the mindset of 'save some for the run'. I was going to ride hard and give what I had on the run.

I was moving up the field pretty regularly. I would pass somebody and then target the next one up ahead. Nobody was passing me so I figured I was riding well. Did not wear my Garmin for this race just a cheap stop watch for overall time. The goal was to race hard and not worry about heart rate or speed or pace or whatever...just race hard and see what I end up with.

By the time we got to the turnaround point I counted approximately 8 guys in front of me although it was tough to tell with the long course duathlon also going on. Once we turned back to head north the wind was a little more noticeable but really not bad at all. From this point to the 6 miles left point where we merged with the sprint athletes I was riding completely alone. It was nice to actually have some company even though it got really crowded with a couple of miles to go.

I attacked the hills coming back to the beach and then cruised towards transition knowing that I rode pretty well. I got one foot out at the bottom of the hill to transition and then got the other one out at the top just before the dismount line. It worked out ok and ran in to transition.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

This was a quick transition. racked bike - got shoes slipped on - helmet off - hat and glasses on - grabbed race belt and took off.

Nothing
Run
  • 40m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Headed out of transition and down the big hill to the boardwalk and immediately settled in to a pretty solid pace which was a very good thing for me mentally. The course is very flat except for the hill just before the finish. The sprint athletes were still on the course and it can be a little tight on this first and last portion on the boardwalk and path. There were lots of people lining and the boardwalk cheering us on so that was nice.

It is usually very hot out on Harbor Island but today, even though there was not a cloud in the sky, there was a nice north breeze which felt pretty good. I took a cup of gatorade at the first aid station and that was it for nutrition. The remaining stations I just took a cup of water had a sip and dumped it on my head. I was feeling great as we headed to the turnaround. I had passed a couple of duathletes at this point but no triathletes. I saw that there were 2 guys coming pretty fast but the way I was running I did not think anybody was going to pass me.

About the 3.5 mile mark I made a pass and then a half mile later those 2 guys passed me and I paced off of them for the next mile or so. They had a nice rythem and were flying pretty good. I stuck with them for awhile and then had to settle back in. Turns out the one guy averaged sub 6' miles for the 10K.

Finally back out onto the boardwalk for the final 1.5 miles and continued to just hammer away. There was nobody on my heels for this last section although I continued to run as hard as I could. My parents were at the coast guard station with about 0.5 mile to go and cheered me home. The last climb into the finish is absolutely brutal. It is really steep and seems to take forever. Once you get to the top there is another little gradual hill before its downhill the last 100 yards to the finish.

Finshed in 2:21 and had beaten my time from last year by 3 minutes even though my swim was 3 minutes slower this year.

Nothing. Finally feel like I executed a solid bike-run!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a couple bottles of water and chatted with my parents and some other athletes. Got my gear picked up and packed into the Jeep before heading back for some grub. They had a pretty nice cookout and band after the race although I did not stick around to long.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim needs to get better if I want to compete for podiums at these races. My bike-run is in line with alot of the top guys but my swim clearly lags behind.

I really feel like I executed at this race. I went hard on the bike and had fitness to run strong after which is very encouraging.

Event comments:

Love the venue for the race. The bike and run course are awesome. I love swimming in Lake Michigan and conditions have been great the last 2 years. The only complaint is the long T1 run but even that is not too bad. They need to work on the pre-race expo.

Great race.

Last updated: 2012-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 30/141
Performance: Average
Actual time 34:05 includes .75 mile run to transition area with a bit in beach sand and the rest on the boardwalk to the YMCA.
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Sleeveless
Course: Lake Michigan - Point to Point swim (South to North). There was a north wind so the current was hurting.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:43 | 24.85 miles | 22.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 9/141
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and Back on Lakeshore Drive - tough little hills on Grand Ave off the beach - Rosy Mound - and the turnaround. Pavement is good and still a fast track in the middle section.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:07 | 06.21 miles | 06m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 15/141
Performance: Good
Course: Grand Haven channel boardwalk to Harbor Island and back. Flat course except for a short steep hill right at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-10 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Grand Haven Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-07-11 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4304376

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Triathlon - Olympic Course

Way to execute the bike - run!  And that's a very solid swim considering the conditions and super long transition run.  Must've been some ridiculous fish at this race.  Congrats on a great AG and OA place!

What did you think of racing without Garmin or HR data?  Will you do it again?

2012-07-11 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4305752

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
yeats - 2012-07-11 11:58 AM

Way to execute the bike - run!  And that's a very solid swim considering the conditions and super long transition run.  Must've been some ridiculous fish at this race.  Congrats on a great AG and OA place!

What did you think of racing without Garmin or HR data?  Will you do it again?

Yeah I will.  The HR data has been useless for me the last 2 years.  I seem to have a large disconnect between training and racing HR data and most significantly on the bike.  My HR is always much higher coming from the swim but stays elevated for a very long time.

I like having the pace info in a HIM run but thats about it.  The HR can take a hike LOL.  I have been racing long enough that I have a good idea from RPE what I can hold for a 10K or half mary so even that does not seem too valuable at this point. 

2012-07-12 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4304376

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Awesome job! Wow, those are speedy bike and run times!!  

Even better that its a race venue you enjoy!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed