United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 06m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W25-29
Age Group Rank = 37/
Pre-race routine:

Loraine, my best friend and I, left South Georgia Thursday morning around 3 a.m. Almost 16 hours later we made it to Farmland, the town her parents live in, where we would be staying. Farmland is a small town right outside Muncie.

The next day we headed to the convention center for athlete check-in and the pre-race briefing. I had trained hard for this race, lots of runs in the heat, lots of interval sessions on the bike, I was ready to rock the 70.3, and after having the race cut short at New Orleans 70.3 back in April, I was double ready. At the expo I did athlete check in and I was through the roof with excitement. I had a big permanent smile on my face and saying hello to everyone and thanking all the volunteers. Bought my usual pint glass with the race logo, as well as a new hat, and some awesome hot pink compression sleeves. I was getting even more pumped up for the race, nothing could take me down off my high, until the pre-race briefing.......

The race director got up on stage, and said in a quiet, almost giggly sort of way, that the race has been changed to a modified olympic distance because of the heat index. I thought he was joking, PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE JOKING!!!!!! But he wasn't. Within seconds the atmosphere of the room changed, the smiles we gone, including mine. I felt like I had just been hit with a chair. All I could think was: not again, why is this happening again. I felt worse than I did when I got the news in New Orleans. All my goals for the race and my hopes and dreams left me, all gone. Many people just left the room. I was angry, and bummed.

After that we went to bike check in at the race site. I racked my bike and just left, wondering ho many people were going to ditch the race at this point. Many people ditched New Orleans after the swim was canceled, bike shortened, and turned into a duathlon.

Race morning I tried my best to take everything in stride, but I was upset. The race was going to be a 1 mile swim, 30 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run, a 37.2. I was going to do the best of my ability on this course, just like in New Orleans, I just couldn't help but to be disappointed I made the trip and did all that training and not do a 70.3.
Swim
  • 40m 15s
  • 1600 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was a warm 88 degrees. I did great for the first half of the swim and was in a good rhythm, but by the halfway point the heat of the water was getting to me. My pace dropped off dramatically and it became a "just get to the shore" kind of swim. Finally made it to shore and looked down and my Garmin and wasn't happy.
What would you do differently?:

I think it was out of my control
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Bike
  • 1h 24m 24s
  • 30 miles
  • 21.33 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was uneventful. It was 2 loops out in the country, and the last 8 miles back to transition through a more rural area.I drank a bike bottle full of water and a bike bottle full of Powerade. I didn't need to do a bottle exchange, it was enough. I ate the Honey Stinger waffle at mile 15. I kept up a decent cadence and speed on the bike course

Have a full 56 miles
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Run
  • 54m 12s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

For the first 3 miles, I was on track with the time I wanted to do the run in. After I crossed the timing mat at the halfway point, mentally everything crashed down on me. I started thinking about New Orleans, and how hard I trained for that race and it got altered, I started thinking about the months of heat training I had to do to prepare for this race. Just didn't seem fair. When I do Augusta 70.3 in September, it will be my second full 70.3 (hopefully) but my forth time paying for one. Muncie was to be my to make up for not getting a real 70.3 in New Orleans, and that chance was gone. My pace dropped off. At the mile 4 aid station I noticed my arms were dry and I was not sweating. I have been in the situation before and know I need to moisten myself to keep from overheating. I walked through the mile 4 aid station and dumped water all over myself, put ice in my hat and in my tri top. Started running and felt better and cooled off, I did the same thing at the mile 5 aid station to avoid a melt down before the finish line. Finally the finish line came into sight

Run the whole 13.1
Post race
Warm down:

After the race I got some ice cream, I wasn't feeling the pulled pork sandwiches and beans they were serving. Went to transition and packed it up. Headed back to Loraine's parent's house and hung out with them the rest of Saturday and Sunday. We left back home to Georgia Monday morning, and I was able to get back to training today like nothing happened.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was training for a 70.3, not a long olympic

Last updated: 2012-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:15 | 1600 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 52/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:58
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:24 | 30 miles | 21.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2 loops with 8 mile section back to transition
Road:   Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:12 | 06.2 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-07-10 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

2012-07-10 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4304961

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie
Definitely a frustrating situation, but you did a great job especially on the bike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muncie Rss Feed