General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakeside Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lakeside Triathlon - Intermediate Course - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Decatur, Illinois
United States
Lakeside Triathlon
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 26s
Overall Rank = 6/111
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 and started to get things packed up in the vehicle to check out of hotel and head down to race site. Had my usual oatmeal and then a little later on had a cliff peanut butter bar.
Event warmup:

Hopped on the bike and did about a 3 mile easy warm up ride down the course a little. I think it helped to do a bike warm up this time. Also did about a 100 yard swim right before the race announcements started.
Swim
  • 20m 41s
  • 1320 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started right after the Pro/elite wave. I didn't count them in the overall ranking as they are a whole nother division than us AG people. Maybe next season I'll race this as an elite.

When our wave went off I was at the front and had a good initial dive into the water and got up to speed pretty quick. Lots of contact from everyone around me it seemed. I believe I only got passed by one or two people. It's so hard to tell in these situations especially right at the start. Once out a few hundred yards there was this guy who couldn't sight worth a nickel but was swimming faster than me and kept going left and right infront of me. Annoyed the piss out of me after cussing at him really loud when I did a breast stroke I said screw it and grabbed his foot and swam right over top of him. He knew I was back there and kept purposely doing this to me I believe. He never cought back up to me after that. I passed I think 2-3 people from the elite wave on the swim which was a big moral booster for me as well considering they left 3 minutes ahead of our wave. Overall I think my swim went better with this being my second ows race ever. I knew what to expect more and was able to stay calmer. I really enjoyed the swim and sighted well I think. The swim time also includes going up a boat launch ramp in the water then running about 80 yards up a paved parking lot hill into the back entrance of transition. Would like to know what my real time was. I'm guessing it was around 1:23 per 100 meter's
What would you do differently?:

Grab the guys foot sooner! He was being an horses behind and I only regret not getting by him sooner.
Transition 1
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Did alright I think. I always seem to have good transitions especially the T1. I think I could get going a few seconds faster if I just practiced it more. I need to really practice getting into shoes quicker on the bike because I know it cost me about 10 seconds just getting feet slipped inside.

Not much. Just take time and practice my tranistions more.?
Bike
  • 54m 22s
  • 19 miles
  • 20.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The first hill right out of transition was pretty brutal to me. My HR was pegged it felt like but I was able to power up it and recover pretty quickly. The trip out to the turnaround we were going into a decent headwind of about 10-15 mph winds or at least thats what weather channel said they would be at that time. I think I did pretty well on my new tri bike though. Only got passed by 3-4 people the whole time while on the bike and I passed 3 people as well. Once at the turnaround it was fast coming back. The tailwind helped out a ton. I think I could have shaved a minute or so off my time if I really would have pushed it but, my right calf was telling me that it was going to cramp up on the run right away if I did push the bike harder.

This is a great course as well. The tri is a memorial tri after a police officer who was taken away from life way to soon. So there were cops all over the course and very little to no traffic at all. I loved it. A big thank you to the law inforcement officers. You guys did great!

Just keep getting more saddle time. The bike is slowly but surely starting to improve and it shows every new race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

I stunk it up here. When I jumped off the bike my left shoe flopped around a wierd way or whatever and popped off and went flying into the air behind me. I stopped for a couple seconds to see wth went on and then decided to just keep going and let some volunteer grab it for me. So with that in mind I ran towards the other end where my rack was at and started to rack my bike only to realize I went to the wrong rack!!!! I had to unrack my bike and back up and go down to the next rack. I was still flustered from the shoe flying into the air my head wasn't in the right spot. The whole bike ride I was planning everything in my head and one monkey wrench was enough to throw my game off :(

Once I finally wasted the 10 seconds or so to get to my rack I had some issues slipping my feet into the shoes after I got my socks on. It could have been better but oh well. I also forgot to take the hand pump out of my tri suit back pocket.

Not get distracted by my shoe flying off! I'm sure this happens somewhat often because after I was finished with the race there were multiple left shoes laying on the ground in a pile hehe. Go to my rack the first time! Like I said I was flustered from the shoe going airborn and that threw my game for a loop.

Just practice more I guess it could have been a lot worse.
Run
  • 31m 58s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Everything felt good except for my right calf. I'm glad I held back on the bike and stretched my right calf a few times because this was the closest I've ever came to it cramping up in a race before. My legs didn't really feel like the normal bricks as much though either which was good.

My calf issue went away after about 3/4 of a mile and I started to really dig in and go then. I think it wouldn't have even been an issue but the day before I ran a 5k race back home and went faster than I ever did in it. 20:18 was my time in it :)

Oh gosh though this was a hot run. I ran out of T2 and pretty quickly chased down a couple guys who had passed me on the bike and went by them with out em putting up a fight. Some guy in a speedo when I coaght him kept up with me for a good 1.5 miles until he finally fell behind. All he wanted to do was talk talk talk and I was not wanting to so I could save energy.

Otw back after the second turnaround I came up on a guy who had passed me early on the bike and I notice his calf said 28 as well. I passed him and I think once he saw my age he picked up his pace and ran behind me. I figured I'd be in for a battle towards the end with the guy because I had already seen a guy with a 27 on his leg fly past me and wasn't sure what place in the ag I was in currently.

I was right they guy didn't wanna let me go and the last half mile he would start to push and pass me but I would go faster and then he'd back off so I would slow down a tad too. Once we turned the corner and could see the finish I thought of my kid and wife there cheering me on and I just dug down deep and turned it on and the guy couldn't catch me at all then. The announcer was yelling my name and the guy behind mine as we came towards the finish and that there was a race. It was a great experience!

Once I crossed the finish line I congratulated the guy and thanked him for pushing me and said good job to a few other people who were close to us.

Run faster?! If I wouldn't have had to go a little slow that first half mile I think I could have averaged about 10 seconds faster on the run. Oh well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and did some light stretching. Hugged the wife and my son and got some water/gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably the 5k that I was going to go easy on the day before. I don't think it hampered much but, I know it did have something to do with my calf cramp issue.

Event comments:

This is an awesome event. There are volunteers all over and it's a memorial race for a police officer from that area who died some years back. They had roads closed off just for the bike and it was just a great race environment all around. They announced your name when you were running by during the run and when you finished as well. I look forward to doing this race again next year.

Last updated: 2012-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:41 | 1320 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 6/111
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Tri-suit
Course: Was shapped like a big U for the most part. Lots of boats and lifeguards on surf boards lining the way out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:22 | 19 miles | 20.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 22/111
Wind: Some
Course: Was a out and back along some winding roads with a few moderate hills thrown in here and there. A good portion was pretty flat and fast though which was nice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:31:58 | 04.5 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 9/111
Course: Go out from T2 a half mile and turnaround and run back past T2 area and out 1.5 mile then turnaround and run back to finish. Nice run along the lake for a good ways then through some residential area as well.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-11 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Lakeside Triathlon - Intermediate Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakeside Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed