General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-24 1:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
What a day!

I nailed my swim, 70 minutes.
Solid bike, considering the hills 6:33
Run, meh, but I suck at running 5:45
Total 13:45, bested IMTX by 1:15!

I nailed my nutrition, before the swim, on the bike and on the run.

I had two chocolate milks, a sprite, three bottles of water, two pieces of pizza, no medical tent and then a beer at Capones!

What a day!!!

Congratulations to everyone who committed to the training, the life style and toed the line today and competed.

Congratulation IRONMEN and IRONWOMEN I'm so proud of you all.

Who wants to get a beer tomorrow afternoon in Spokane?

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

Edited by bradaskins 2013-06-24 1:18 AM

2013-06-24 7:17 AM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Did anyone else not sleep much last night? I don't think I got 5 hours!
2013-06-24 9:34 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
That was the worst night sleep I had in a long time!
2013-06-24 11:11 AM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Are we meeting up anywhere today? I am going to go out to CDA in a few and check out the finisher jacket, among other things. It's amazing how the weather was so crappy right up to the race, perfect yesterday, and here we are again with crap!
2013-06-24 11:24 AM

User image

Yep rough night of sleep for me as well, been up since 4:00. I will take it for a new PR. 10:29.

Sorry I couldn't meet up with you guys. My entire family (5 bro and sis and kids) are up here and I felt guilty sneaking away.

Congrats to all you guys for 'toeing the line'. Couldn't have asked for better conditions yesterday.

2013-06-24 11:35 AM

User image

Regular
Yes I got maybe 2 hours of sleep last night, my knees hurt so much that it was impossible to get comfortable.

I won't be able to do beers today unfortunately. I'm going to be taking care of some neglected things around the house to keep everyone here happy.

I don't think we could of asked for much better conditions for the swim - the cloud/fog over on the other side of the lake, what beauty, the bike course had a little bit of wind but nothing that was knock you down and take names, the run was a little hot right in the beginning but it seemed (at least for me) that it started to cool down 4-5 miles into the run. Or else I was just soaked enough in water and had enough ice in my shirt to stay cool.

2013-06-24 11:50 AM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
I went into the medical tent after my race to see Flyboy and collect my beer while I propped my feet up. One of the medical personnel came by and used a foam roller to roll out my legs. It was better than a message and I didn't even have to wait. Then I got back here and took a 15 minute ice bath. Felt like needles when I was doing it, but I slept about 6 hours last night and I feel pretty good today.
I beat my goal, by more than an hour and the only problem I had was the gap from special needs to the next aid station. I bonked when I had to wait more than a mile to get water and preform. Took me a few miles to get back at it, but I managed to finish strong (for me). I also nailed my nutrition and pacing except for that bonk stretch.

Eric thanks a lot for the ride. Trevor it was great to meet you and hang out. I had an awesome time here. The weather was exactly what I would have wanted except it did get a little hot at the beginning of the run, but beggars can't be choosers.

Flyboy thanks for the beer and checking up on me in the tent. You folks who live here have something special. Not only is the scenery unbelievable, but the people are truly awesome. I love it here.
Now to drive home to Michigan.
2013-06-24 11:59 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by maverickbassets I went into the medical tent after my race to see Flyboy and collect my beer while I propped my feet up. One of the medical personnel came by and used a foam roller to roll out my legs. It was better than a message and I didn't even have to wait. Then I got back here and took a 15 minute ice bath. Felt like needles when I was doing it, but I slept about 6 hours last night and I feel pretty good today. I beat my goal, by more than an hour and the only problem I had was the gap from special needs to the next aid station. I bonked when I had to wait more than a mile to get water and preform. Took me a few miles to get back at it, but I managed to finish strong (for me). I also nailed my nutrition and pacing except for that bonk stretch. Eric thanks a lot for the ride. Trevor it was great to meet you and hang out. I had an awesome time here. The weather was exactly what I would have wanted except it did get a little hot at the beginning of the run, but beggars can't be choosers. Flyboy thanks for the beer and checking up on me in the tent. You folks who live here have something special. Not only is the scenery unbelievable, but the people are truly awesome. I love it here. Now to drive home to Michigan.

Good to see you after the race yesterday Chris, you had a great race!  Glad you enjoyed your time here and I hope you have a safe trip home. 

2013-06-24 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by smithe68 Congrats to everyone! I hurt bad, pushed too hard on the bike and blew up on the run in more ways then one(poor porta potties!) Still managed a 14:04:44 and I will take it! I was going to check out the deal tomorrow at the park I think but would love to meet up for that well deserved beer!

Congratulations Eric!  I'm duly impressed that you came back this year and nailed the race after the difficulty you had last year.  Strong work!

2013-06-24 12:07 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

Originally posted by bradaskins Somehow I missed all the BT'er get together this weekend. So good luck to everyone tomorrow! I'm still up for beers on Monday with people or beers tomorrow night and watch the 10-12'er cross the line!! GOOD LUCK, IRONMEN!!!!
I missed out too... things just got wildly hectic in the last few days - I'd like to have that beer though, I'll keep an eye out here on when folks plan to meet up.

Best of luck to everyone - it's been an amazing journey, whatever happens tomorrow!

Strong work out there yesterday Ron.  You looked great after the race, like you were ready for another one!  Congratulations on your new Ironman title!

2013-06-24 2:53 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
I caught Chris Macdonald's discussion with Mike Reilly at the dinner pre-race as I wanted more info on the swim and no pass zones at the athlete meeting. I wrote down what Chris said because I really liked it and it turned out to be prophetic. He said "you have to be willing to lose to be able to win." That's exactly what I did. With my blood clot and necessary medication I knew I didn't have the the power I needed to compete but I was willing to lose for a shot at winning.

I knew I would have either a really good or really bad race. I DNF'd and ended up in medical unconscious. I took a chance on the bike and was 7th in my AG at mile 70 of the bike and was gaining ground when it started to turn south. I probably should have stopped at T2 but was hoping it would come back to me. I have no regrets and know that I could go sub 10 here if healthy. I'm not disappointed at all as I knew DNF was a real possibility.

Full report about my interesting day coming soon. :-)

2013-06-24 3:15 PM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

Regular
Originally posted by rbalazs

I caught Chris Macdonald's discussion with Mike Reilly at the dinner pre-race as I wanted more info on the swim and no pass zones at the athlete meeting. I wrote down what Chris said because I really liked it and it turned out to be prophetic. He said "you have to be willing to lose to be able to win." That's exactly what I did. With my blood clot and necessary medication I knew I didn't have the the power I needed to compete but I was willing to lose for a shot at winning.

I knew I would have either a really good or really bad race. I DNF'd and ended up in medical unconscious. I took a chance on the bike and was 7th in my AG at mile 70 of the bike and was gaining ground when it started to turn south. I probably should have stopped at T2 but was hoping it would come back to me. I have no regrets and know that I could go sub 10 here if healthy. I'm not disappointed at all as I knew DNF was a real possibility.

Full report about my interesting day coming soon. :-)

glad you are doing ok now.
2013-06-24 3:21 PM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by rbalazs I caught Chris Macdonald's discussion with Mike Reilly at the dinner pre-race as I wanted more info on the swim and no pass zones at the athlete meeting. I wrote down what Chris said because I really liked it and it turned out to be prophetic. He said "you have to be willing to lose to be able to win." That's exactly what I did. With my blood clot and necessary medication I knew I didn't have the the power I needed to compete but I was willing to lose for a shot at winning. I knew I would have either a really good or really bad race. I DNF'd and ended up in medical unconscious. I took a chance on the bike and was 7th in my AG at mile 70 of the bike and was gaining ground when it started to turn south. I probably should have stopped at T2 but was hoping it would come back to me. I have no regrets and know that I could go sub 10 here if healthy. I'm not disappointed at all as I knew DNF was a real possibility. Full report about my interesting day coming soon. :-)

Glad you're ok but sorry you didn't have the day you wanted.  I remember you coming into the tent but didn't know you were a BT'er...would have said hi after you felt better.  Hope you come back again soon and conquer the course.

2013-06-24 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

My time was 13:33 - not my best case scenario, but I had fun on the bike and ran the whole marathon and felt great at the finish... could hardly ask for a better first IM.  The down-side was severe leg cramps about half way through the swim. 

I was a hundred yards from the beach when my left leg all of the sudden locked up, I got to a kayak and tried to work it out - but then my other leg cramped up.  Poor girl in the kayak didn't know what to do, I was making all kinds of noises and in big-time pain.  I was seriously worried my day was going to end right there.  After about five minutes, they lessened enough that I felt I could make it the last hundred yards to the beach.  They went away enough during that time that I went out on the second loop.  Had to stop twice more for bad calf cramps, but at least they weren't involving the whole leg anymore.

Had a ball and totally enjoyed myself the rest of the day, thanking and joking with volunteers, friends and family - I think I was just so happy it all didn't end on the swim, I was soaking in every minute.  Felt great to run the whole marathon (except aid stations), never realized how many people walk, I was passing people at a rate of better than 50-to-1.

BTW - if you have friends and family following you, there is nothing better than MyAthleteLive.  They all raved about how cool it was to be able to see when I was coming and to know where I was, and those that were out of town used it in conjunction with the Ironman live coverage to watch me cross the finish.

2013-06-24 5:17 PM

User image

Spokane
Finished my 1 year ironman with a 12:11. I pushed way harder then expected lol. The swim was really fun, i seeded myself at the 1:15-1:30 and i was passing people the whole time, so i think alot of people thought they were faster then they really were. I stayed inside the bouy's till i got to the end one and passed the outside, no one drafted me and i didn't draft anyone so it was kinda nice. My bike was 17.7 mph avg, i was shotting for 16 so i'm happy with that considering i had 4 pee stops. Run was 4:34 which was 34 mins slower then what my goal pace was but i was in so much pain i'm just glad i got threw it. I ran to all aid stations and walked those, the last 4 miles i had to walk 3 times at a non aid station area for less then 1 min each. I don't remember the finish line or hearing my name, i was so out of it. You guys that do this more then once are freaking nuts.

Edit: i also didnt sleep well, had to wake up at 3am for work today... manual labor work, so that was fun

Edited by dkahns51 2013-06-24 5:17 PM
2013-06-24 7:23 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
Congratulations to everyone on your races. My race was going exactly how I wanted until halfway through the marathon. Like many of you I started to develop bad cramps in my legs. They were so severe that I wasn't able to run and was reduced to a walk. My goal was 11:30 and I ended up with a 12:07. I thought I had my nutrition figured out but I think it was hotter than I had anticipated. More fluids and more sodium next time.

What was the recommended pizza place in Coeur d'Alene? I'm thinking that sounds like a pretty good dinner tonight.

2013-06-24 7:23 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids

Edited by OnYourLeft 2013-06-24 7:25 PM
2013-06-24 7:41 PM
in reply to: OnYourLeft

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by OnYourLeft Congratulations to everyone on your races. My race was going exactly how I wanted until halfway through the marathon. Like many of you I started to develop bad cramps in my legs. They were so severe that I wasn't able to run and was reduced to a walk. My goal was 11:30 and I ended up with a 12:07. I thought I had my nutrition figured out but I think it was hotter than I had anticipated. More fluids and more sodium next time. What was the recommended pizza place in Coeur d'Alene? I'm thinking that sounds like a pretty good dinner tonight.

Fire Artisan - 517 Sherman

Congrats, that was still an excellent time from my standpoint!  Hope you've enjoyed your time here.

2013-06-24 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I didn't have the day I was hoping to, but hey, I finished my first IM so I'm not going to complain too much. Swim was way slower than I had hoped based on training. I spent a lot of time trying to avoid the scrum (which really wasn't bad, I've had worse, but just wanted to avoid it yesterday) - With swimming wide and trying to swim around other people to avoid bad situations, and a HUGE number of breast strokers, I was 5m off where I thought I could do.

Bike was ok. Personally I thought the course was great. The hills really aren't that bad. Sure Mica is long but doable. My A goal was to run the marathon, so I took it real easy. Things were going swimmingly well, I thought, almost all of the ride. As we hit the back side of Mica for the last downhill into town my stomach started to complain a bit, but not huge.

In transition my stomach started complain more so I grabbed tums out of my T2 bag, and headed out. First 3-4 miles were fine. Taking it slow to make sure the stomach was ok, and then tried to pick up the pace. Bad idea. Put in a good 2 or so miles then felt pretty sick. Spent the next 4-5 miles reduced to mostly if not all walking. Not feeling good an nothing really helping. Wasn't until I finally started drinking coke (and/or the pepto picked up in SN) did my stomach return to semi-ok state. Was able to at least keep a 5min run / 4 min walk interval for much of the rest. Only time the stomach got real bad again was about 2 miles out when I just decided to f*'it and run the rest in. I had plenty of energy when I could run so I'm reasonably sure it wasn't bike pacing that did me in. I was ROASTING hot for most of the last part of the bike, first part of the run and was covered in salt. Given that we've not yet seen a 77 degree day here in Seattle and 99.99999% of my training is in the 50's I think perhaps it's related to acclimatization and/or salt (I never use salt supplements, just rely on what's in my Infinit). I'll figure it out for my next one.

On a side note - huge props to the people of CDA. Everywhere I went people were wishing good luck and/or congrats. The parties on the run and bike (loved the band out in the middle of nowhere) were awesome. I will absolutely come back to race CDA again.
2013-06-24 10:27 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids

Originally posted by OnYourLeft Congratulations to everyone on your races. My race was going exactly how I wanted until halfway through the marathon. Like many of you I started to develop bad cramps in my legs. They were so severe that I wasn't able to run and was reduced to a walk. My goal was 11:30 and I ended up with a 12:07. I thought I had my nutrition figured out but I think it was hotter than I had anticipated. More fluids and more sodium next time. What was the recommended pizza place in Coeur d'Alene? I'm thinking that sounds like a pretty good dinner tonight.

Congrats, that was still an excellent time from my standpoint!  Hope you've enjoyed your time here.

Thanks for the recommendation of Fire Artison. T.J. Tollakson even stopped in while we were there.
2013-06-24 10:56 PM

User image

West Jordan, UT
Holy cow! What an absolutely wonderful experience! Props to the people of CDA and the surrounding communities for supporting this race like crazy. Props to Ironman for putting on a well organized and well executed race. I finished 11:07, so I was seven minutes shy of my goal. Bonked the last three miles of the run and watched it slip away. I still loved everything about this day. Can't wait to do another! Boulder anyone?

2013-06-24 11:10 PM
in reply to: OnYourLeft

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Originally posted by OnYourLeft

Thanks for the recommendation of Fire Artison. T.J. Tollakson even stopped in while we were there.

Was wondering if there were any other BT'ers in there tonight.  I was sitting next to T.J. having dinner with my homestay pro, Jerome Bresson.  Sorry to have missed you but hope you enjoyed the recommendation.  You had a stellar race given the belly issues!  Safe travels home.

2013-06-25 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Flyboy

Originally posted by smithe68 Congrats to everyone! I hurt bad, pushed too hard on the bike and blew up on the run in more ways then one(poor porta potties!) Still managed a 14:04:44 and I will take it! I was going to check out the deal tomorrow at the park I think but would love to meet up for that well deserved beer!

Congratulations Eric!  I'm duly impressed that you came back this year and nailed the race after the difficulty you had last year.  Strong work!

Thanks, it wasn't easy, I had some serious anxiety about getting back in the water here, even with the difference in the swim start.

Did anyone happen to capture the live footage video that streamed online for the race?
2013-06-25 11:09 AM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Hello everyone!
What a day! Swim was crazy and probably should have seeded myself a little faster as I found too many times other swimmers slowing me down. The first loop of the bike was awesome. The wind on the second loop was schizophrenic and drained me. I really could see the difference between the tri-bikes and my bike on the flats and down hill. I battled hamstring cramps most of the marathon but continued to push. I was better than my first IM in 2011 by 37 mins. My final time was12:28.

Thanks to Flyboy for the cold beer at the finish!!!!!!! Sweeeet.
2013-06-25 12:12 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Does anyone know where in the IM web site do I go to see me crossing the finish line?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57