Race Revolutions
96F / 36C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 40m 2s
Overall Rank = 43/100
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 13/19
Pre-race routine:

got us @ 5:40 a.m. Usual morning routine. Out the door by 6:15 to drive to race site. Ate a banana, english muffin with egg, a cappucino, and one large bottle of water on the road.
Event warmup:

Set up transition in the rain. Lubed inside of shoes as this would be the first off-road race I'd do sockless. Swam for about 15 min before the mandatory pre race meeting. Visited the port-o-potty about 10 times to pee before pre race meeting while regretting my decision to have coffee on race morning. I was already amped up on adrenaline and nerves w/o caffine
Swim
  • 18m 24s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

lined up towards the outside and outside of group to help avoid all the contact. Lots of contact at 1st buoy. I felt I was swimming smoothly and efficiently but apparently I was swimming crooked. After the 1st buoy I moved away from the main group as to avoid contact and just swim at my own pace. I did not sight but every 20 strokes or so thinking I was swimming straight but every time I looked up I was pointed way to the right of the buoy and would have to correct my travel.
What would you do differently?:

sight more to avoid swimming crooked. Possilbly draft more
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s

try to move faster
Bike
  • 1h 31m 28s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 8.86 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike segment changed from last year, about 70% of the trail was "new". The new segments were tight but relatively smooth single track . In fact one new bike section was last years very tight trail run portion. The single track took place of most of the sandy jeep roads. It was difficult to maintain speed or zip through most of the new segments because of how twisty it is. The earlier rains actually helped the sandy portions of the trail the soils held together better and you would not sink as deep.

push on pedals harder. dial in tire pressure and suspension better for this course
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

don't know what the heck happened here.

MOVE FASTER
Run
  • 47m 16s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The run segment was also new. Thankfully this year we had cloud cover otherwise the run would have been brutal. The opportunity to run in the shade was minimal. The run was two laps around the gradual hills and bluffs around the lake. Walked the uphills and for a bit after each aid station. There was one sandy lake bluff scramble that was a fun trail feature to contend with. Again the run has proven to be my weak discipline, I gave up 8 spots here overall an 4 of those were in my A.G.

not walk so much
Post race
Warm down:

jumped in lake to wash off dirt and grime.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of motivation to embrace the suck and spend some quality time with the honey badger in the pain cave, I could have just kept on running and not taken so many walk breaks on the run. Towards the end of the run I was mildly uncomfortable. My quads were beginning to cramp and the IT band on my left leg was getting grumpy.

Event comments:

overall a decent race, I had fun doing it. I may do it again next year. It's close to home and the bike segment was vastly improved over the previous year's course. new lesson learned this race - if weather is to be foul, tape gel's to top tube at home or someplace where the bike can remain dry during application. I did not loose any gels but they flopped around some as one side of the tape job was not bonding very well to the frame.

Last updated: 2012-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:24 | 875 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 46/100
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: one clockwise loop. Mass group start, all age groups, guys and gals.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 91F / 33C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:28 | 13.5 miles | 8.86 mile/hr
Overall: 0/100
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: three 4.5 mi loops of 85-90% tight but smooth single track 10-15% very sandy jeep roads
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:16 | 04 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 0/100
Performance:
Course: two 2mi loops of rolling trails some of it along the sandy lake shore with one very sandy 25' bank to scramble up.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-12 8:18 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Xterra Magnolia Hill

2012-07-12 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4307444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Subject: RE: Xterra Magnolia Hill
Nice job Mark! Less sand on bike and run has to be good. You got clouds! I remember that dang run around the lake.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Magnolia Hill Rss Feed