United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 19s
Overall Rank = 136/1283
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 22/97
Pre-race routine:

This was an evening race. So I got home from work, drank some Gatorade, and headed to the race
Event warmup:

Easy run down to the race. Some very light mobility waiting in the corral for the race start.
Run
  • 37m 19s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was really a training run for me, so goal was to go out first 2 miles at about 8 min. pace, then slowly build pace from there.
I got in the corral right behind the 8 Min pace sign, and starting out was very pace conscious, not wanting to push to hard early like I tend to do. I let a lot of people pass me. Despite that, I hit the first mile at 7:30. Normally this would concern me because I went out faster than plan, but because the pace felt controlled I figured I could just carry that through.
Second mile was 7:42. I slowed a bit, but not consciously. I still just told myself to maintain pace.
After the second mile I got on the heels of a guy with a very similar pace and ran with him for the next two (occasionally taking my turn at the front to be fair). Mile 3 was 7:30 and Mile 4 was 7:37.
Just ahead of the mile 4 marker I was feeling strong so I decided to push from there. Knocked out the last mile in 6:57 which made me very happy!
What would you do differently?:

If this was more of an A race I would have pushed harder in the middle miles, but as a training race, I felt great to control my pace and still end up with a good time.
Post race
Warm down:

Light jog back home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

I was glad to see expected pace signs in the corral to help sort people. They also did a decent job of keeping the course clear. I'm sure they did their best since we were running on a public path.
The race start was less than a mile from my condo, so no brainer to participate. Perfect race distance for my long run day!

Last updated: 2012-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:19 | 04.97 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/97
Overall: 136/1283
Performance: Good
Course: Loop going north up to Irving Park and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4