General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Congress getting involved with the LA situation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-15 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4310231

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: Congress getting involved with the LA situation
Tom Demerly. - 2012-07-13 2:32 PM

"I must have missed it in all my training, but if a congressman has time for this, I'm assuming that all our troops are home, all Americans have jobs, all our children are fed and educated, there are no homeless or hungry."

Bam.

Laser guided.

On a shark's head. Make it stop.

2012-07-15 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4312545

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Congress getting involved with the LA situation
Socks - 2012-07-15 7:33 PM

I do not know why USADA is involved in a WTC event anyway. I thought it was supposed to monitor olympic athletes (although I realize LA went to the olympics)

Because WTC decided to become a WADA/USADA signatory; as they are not an Olympic sport, they don't need to be but they decided to sign on anyway. I suspect that is because their elite athletes typically hold elite cards with their national governing body and since NGB's also administer ITU athletes, then any athlete who is carded by their NGB already falls under the WADA code. Further, if you want to show that you are serious about anti-doping, then it makes sense to sign on with WADA and the national ADA's and leverage their experience with anti-doping policy and procedures. 

Why are they not involved with pro football baseball etc then?

Because no professional sports union is going to allow the leagues to sign on with WADA without a huge fight. Anyone who thinks that cycling looks dirty would be shocked to see the number of athletes that would be popped if WADA (really national ADA's) took over doping controls for big league sports.

I still dont' get why something he may or may not have done in totally different sport years ago has anything to do with him competeling in a new sport today.  Test him today and base his participation TODAY on TODAYs results. 

The only reason his current participation is prevented is because of a WTC policy; USAT has said that he is free to race in USAT events but because of a 13(?) year old WTC policy, is in ineligible to compete in WTC events. If he is sanctioned, then that would apply to his participation as an athlete in any sport that is a WADA signatory, regardless of whether that was for cycling or triathlon (or any other sport for that matter).

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Congress getting involved with the LA situation Rss Feed  

of 2