United States
MultiRace
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 26s
Overall Rank = 34/99
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 grabbed some toast with turkey and cheese and a glass of OJ. Drove 50 minutes to the race. Registered and set-up my transition.
Event warmup:

Walked to the race start, then to the race exit and then back to transition. Grabbed some Gatorade then went back to the beach, and ran about half a mile, with some strides, then stretched.
Swim
  • 11m 3s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

A friend that is a better swimmer than me was racing too, so I lined up behind him with the idea of drafting. When we went out I stayed on his feet for about 100 yds, but then I could not hold the pace and lost him. My arms got tired pretty fast, it may have been a better strategy just to swim relaxed the whole way.

The swim time includes a ridiculous run to the transition area! We had to run 0.3 miles to get there, which took me almost 2:30 minutes, and drained my energy for the bike. I should have run slower too!
What would you do differently?:

Not going out too fast.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Smooth transition, I did not sue a flying mount, but at this point I have decided to not bother with that one until I am a threat to winning my age group.

Nothing
Bike
  • 30m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the part of the race in which I came up short. I did this same bike segment 5 months ago in a duathlon after running a 5k for the first leg and went 2 minutes faster on the bike. The run to transition and the headwind on the way out really drained my energy, and about 3 miles in I had to switch gears to an easier one. At mile 6 or so, I went up a gear again to try to recover lost time but it was not enough.

Save the legs on the run to transition.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Smooth, no jumping off the bike, but fine based on what I was aiming for.

Nothing.
Run
  • 27m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I went pretty hard the last 4 miles on the bike, when I started to run I was feeling miserable. Still, I knew that after a mile or so I would start feeling better, so I pushed through it. The main challenge was that the first half of the run was on sand with a pretty strong headwind. I held up reasonably OK and then when we turned around and got to the pavement was able to sped up and finish strong.

Not much I could do different, just train my run better, since I need to gain some speed in this area.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, just walked a bit and waited for my co-worker to finish. After getting home I stretched, took a shower and went for a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor planning. I am doing the second race in the series next month in the exact same course, I am planning on going easier on the swim and run to transition and see what that means for the bike and run.

Event comments:

The organization of the race was pretty bad. When I got to the beach at 6:30 (race started at 7) there was no buoys in place. The race director was running from one place to the other trying to start the Olympic race (btw, the distances of the Olympic are not even close to accurate), then the duathlon and then the sprint. They had the issue with one of the buoys drifting off to sea. Besides that, there were ony a couple of kayaks in the course. It's not an issue for me since I am a swimmer and I feel secure in the water, but if it was my first tri and was worried about the swim, it would be a problem. There were several people at the end too complaining about clear of signs on the bike course. Hope they improve for the next race.

Last updated: 2012-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:03 | 440 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 15/99
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: Out, turn once and swim parallel to the shore, then turn again towards the exit. They lost one of the buoys, so they used a kayak as the first turn, which resulted in a longer swim (495 yds).
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:23 | 10 miles | 19.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 40/99
Performance: Below average
Not sure why, but my HR monitor did not work on the bike.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Flat and straight out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:59 | 03.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 39/99
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 8:47, Mile 2: 9:13, Mile 3: 8:44, Rest (0.15): 8:04 pace Avg. HR: 171
Course: first half on packed sand with strong headwind, second half on asphalt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No