General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Colonial Beach Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

YMCA Colonial Beach Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Colonial Beach, Virginia
United States
Set Up Events
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 25s
Overall Rank = 156/183
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 20/20
Pre-race routine:

Drove down the night before and stayed at the Beach Inn. It wasn't really how I planned it, but I started to think through how early I would have to get up to make a 6:50 start and thus the hotel. Visited with Steph, and was in bed by 10. Up at 5:15, had a bagel with peanut butter, climbed over the wall, got my number, chip, and marked. I then set up transition. All very smoothly.
Event warmup:

Walked around and just relaxed. Having a room 15 yards from transition was nice. I think it was spitting just a little rain. One of these days, I'll need to see what it is like to do a race with a full lather to start.
Swim
  • 20m 39s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first open water swim since October 2010. I think I did well enough. The taste of salt water was odd in that it wasn't constant. I had someone on my heels the first 200. Had a purple cap (next wave) swim under me at about 400. Bumped a guy not long before the second turn. Nothing too unusual. My lower left back tightened up after I made the last turn. I swam as far in as I could. Stood up, looked at my watch, cursed 20:09, and fell back down. Argh!
What would you do differently?:

I don't redline it at all in the water. I swim a very calm, controlled and SLOW pace. Thus, I have slow results. I was sighting a bot too much and not concentrating on my improved stroke.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

I was 115 overall and 15 in my age group for T1, comparatively my best of the race. I was more ordered and controlled than Salem. Cleaned my feet off, put my shoes on and got going. I forgot my gel and carried my gloves.

GLOVES. If you are going to ride with gloves, you have to get them on. Fumbling with them as you start the bike is a HUGE mistake.
Bike
  • 46m 51s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

No two ways about it, this was my best ride ever. I averaged right about 18 MPH. That's pretty much a function of the course. I spent about 10 miles in a group of about five riders. It was a first for me to be in a group. I don't think we were drafting, but none of us were getting away. When I felt like I was too close, I just took over the group. Riding up front as clearly harder. Half way in I was hammering so hard my calves started to cramp. That was a first as well. But I didn't really slow down much. I just kept hammering. So much fun.

If I was in better shape, I could have gone even faster perhaps. It would be interesting to train in more group rides. The pulling and pushing aspect of being in a group was very different.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I was 152 overall and 18th in my age group. I think I transitioned orderly and smoothly but I wasn't rushing because my calves were VERY unhappy.

One of these days, I am going to have to get better at transition. Running the bike, etc.
Run
  • 33m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

A very bad run. I had nothing after my best bike ever. I kept going and put one foot in front of the other, but I had no other gear. My left Achilles barked a bit. I started to feel a bit hot on the second mile. On a better day, that would have been a great course.

I had put two miles on the road since Salem. I got what I deserved. Taking my gel as I started my run left it sitting heavy in my stomach. That was a mistake.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered for a moment after the finish then worked my way back up the course to see Steph. Ran back in with her (the fastest I ran all day). Then hung out with her and had pizza and Gatorade (the real stuff is too sweet). Cleared out transition, took a shower and got on the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. I had a nasty cold that morphed into a sinus infection that took out two of the weeks after Salem. My left Achilles won't ease up on me. It was 100 degrees out for a week. Excuses, excuses. Do or do not. There is no try.

Event comments:

If I had a room at the Beach Inn, I'd do this race again in a heartbeat. The bike and run course are made for redlining. I wish I had been in better shape. Losing the first four weeks after Salem was not helpful. Still, I had a great bike. One of these days, I'll put it all together at a race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:39 | 820 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/20
Overall: 149/183
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Triangle course with relatively equal legs.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:51 | 14 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/20
Overall: 141/183
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Triangle course. Almost dead flat. Only a couple of hills and most of the inclines and declines were imperceptible.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:33:57 | 03.11 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/20
Overall: 166/183
Performance: Bad
Splits: 10:59 10:55 11:10 (0:54)
Course: Flat as a pancake, out and back course along the water.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-15 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Subject: YMCA Colonial Beach Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Colonial Beach Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed