General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CALORIE DEFICIT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-15 12:53 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: CALORIE DEFICIT

Question about calorie intake.  I had a terrible sprint race yesterday and have been trying to figure out why.  For the whole week prior I was trying to get my weight down a little bit because I thought the lighter the better.  So I was really watching my intake.  I am 5'11'' 152 pounds and training for a HIM in september.  Average about 7-10 hrs/wk.  So I am thinking that I may not be getting enough calories.  Anyone had this experience and can anyone recommend a range of daily calories for someone my size with my training volume?

2012-07-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4312279

User image

New user
College Station, TX
Subject: RE: CALORIE DEFICIT

All of your forum topics are in capital letters, might want to change that.

A lot of people may disagree with what I'm about to say but I wouldn't worry about calorie intake. Surround yourself with good food (fruits, veggies, whole grains, QUALITY lean meats) and eat whenever you are hungry. If you are training the last thing you should do is deprive your body of fuel for some SLIGHT advantage you'd gain from being .25lbs lighter. Train consistently and your body will become what it needs to be. During a taper where your caloric expenditure is less, just try to be careful you don't over eat but know that if you like to carb up, your weight will increase because your body will store more water so scale weight isn't the ultimate metric. 

2012-07-15 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

You don't say what exactly caused you to have a terrible sprint race but, IMHO, but cutting back intake to lose weight the week before a race probably isn't a great idea.  YOu won't lose that much weight in a week and probably not enough to make a difference for a sprint. 

The first question you should ask yourself is do you proper fuel for the sprint?  You don't need a ton of calories but you do need to have a decent breakfast and possibly some hyrdation on the bike.  For sprints I typically have some sports drink on the bike and maybe a gel just before the run.

As for daily calories I think that is something you need to work out for yourself.  Depends upon the intensity of those 7-10 and how you split your workouts between S/B/R.  I am 6 ft, 173 lbs and typically try to keep around 2100 calories per day.  I completely ignore trying to calculate calories burned working out.  I weigh daily (I know a lot of people don't like that but I do) and if I start to lose more than I want (rarely happens) I will up my caloric intake. 

So my recommendation, count your calories, ignore calories burned during workouts, and weigh yourself.  Adjust your intake based upon what the scale says (over several days) and you will figure it out.

2012-07-15 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
mchadcota2 - 2012-07-15 7:53 PM

Question about calorie intake.  I had a terrible sprint race yesterday and have been trying to figure out why.  For the whole week prior I was trying to get my weight down a little bit because I thought the lighter the better.  So I was really watching my intake.  I am 5'11'' 152 pounds and training for a HIM in september.  Average about 7-10 hrs/wk.  So I am thinking that I may not be getting enough calories.  Anyone had this experience and can anyone recommend a range of daily calories for someone my size with my training volume?

If you're in deficiency your muscles may be low on carbohydrates, and that's what you'll need on a sprint. A 1hr at max like a sprint consumes mostly sugars. If your goal is to loose weight for the HIM then it makes sens to loose that now but when you start tapering you should also refuel. While in cal deficit it will have negative impact on performance, including races.

You don't state your training volume, anyway, an average male needs about 2400Cal/day with a mostly sedentary job. So, add on that what you need for your workouts, if you don't know then get a HRM, it's not exact science but gives you an indicator.

Cheers, Erik

2012-07-15 10:36 PM

Matt Fitzgerald : Race Weight
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CALORIE DEFICIT Rss Feed