Endurance Sports Management
87F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 22s
Overall Rank = 2/112
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Up extra early since the drive was a bit longer than I had imagined. Routine as normal, checking over the bike one last time (and Fretting over my Glueing job on my tubular) It was the ole' Zipp2001's maiden voyage (for me) so I was just a bit nervous.
Event warmup:

Got out and got a good ride in (scouting the bike course) and making sure everything was working right. Got a really short run in (since it was about time to start) and then swam a few laps. Jumped out and lined up for the swim start... anybody going faster than me? "Anybody....???" WTF... first in line?!? Oh hell.

I also saw Josh (Jwade13) and we had an (ominous) laugh about going off course... cue the music.
Swim
  • 02m 47s
  • 273 yards
  • 01m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This also includes a fairly long run into transition. I think I did the swim in right at two minutes (give or take a few seconds)

First time in the front and mercifully I wasn't embarrassingly passed by 30 people... woohoo.
What would you do differently?:

MOAR SWIMNG!
I might also give that whole Kevin Costner "Waterworld" thing a go (evolving to have gills) seems like it might be legit.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Down to business. Helmet/Glasses on, run with bike, hop on take off and chase that lead out cop car as hard as possible.

Catch the cop car.
Bike
  • 26m 12s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.90 mile/hr
Comments:

The goal was to smash the bike on the Zipp. Mission accomplished in that regard. When the first lap was ending the cop who was directing traffic had decided the best place to park was IN THE ROAD... holy sh*t... had to cross into incoming traffic lane to avoid him. Unhappy. Also, on the second lap I got caught behind a truck who was behind a cyclist on the only fast downhill. It sucked to have to grip my brakes the entire way down instead of absolutely bombing down it :/ Probably would have broken 23mph avg. if not for that... sighs. Nonetheless, great showing by the Zipp.

Ehh, on a two lap course you have to expect to get caught behind a few of the slower cyclists on the second lap. Nothing to do but accept it.

I would also get a bit faster of course. I think shooting for 27mph is a good goal.
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

Good t2 for me, very minimalistic.

Nada, this was a good one.
Run
  • 15m 29s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 06m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

There were supposed to be a troupe of Boyscouts volunteering at the race, and a very large number of them didn't show up. As a result, the run course was basically unmanned. Besides that, the course was fairly confusingly set up with multiple cones / signs that contradicted. I saw Josh at one turnaround and he was already upset that he had been sent off course on the bike. There was a lot of confusion on the run as well. :/ Sucks for everyone involved. As I was returning on the run I saw that volunteers had been moved to the run course.

The easy answer is to "know the course," which I agree is the athlete's responsibility. However, expecting 9-5 Mon-Fri Age groupers to come scout a course beforehand is a little bit unrealistic, especially with an hour+ drive to get to the course. I am not placing any blame (except possibly on the volunteers that didn't show up after promising to) because it was just a bad series of events for all involved.

It's an especially bad handicap for the fastest people, since later runners had people pointing them in the right direction. :/
Post race
Warm down:

Pretty much dealt with the confusion at the finish line.
Saw Josh and knew he was upset... he had been sent down part of the run course on the bike and DQ'd as a result. I feel your pain sir (As I've had the same happen)

I feel like it was a hallowed victory for me. 2nd OA is great, but not being 100% sure that I did all of the course really hurts. I did finish with a considerable margin above 3rd place (over 5 minutes) so I am confident that even if I did skip something It would not have changed the standings.

That said, If anyone wants to call me out and say I did skip some or whathaveyou, I will not argue with you because I am saying up front, I'm not sure. I indeed may have and apologize if it hurt anyone elses race or experience. I would certainly never purposefully cut a course, (especially when I was already pretty much leading it!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not scouting the course. I should know better.

Event comments:

I liked the race and the area it was in. The volunteers not showing up really hurt, no way to sugarcoat it. I think it's frustrating for everyone involved. Hopefully that does not happen again. The only other gripe I have is... DIET DRINKS! A bunch of Type A personalities and no diet drinks post race. tsk :P

Last updated: 2012-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:47 | 273 yards | 01m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 7/112
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 3 laps, snake pool 50y.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:30
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:12 | 10 miles | 22.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 1/112
Wind: None
Course: Two loops on a few different roads/highways. Lots of "gradual" climbing with just one or two area's to really pick up some *speed*
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:29 | 02.49 miles | 06m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 3/112
Performance: Average
Course: Confusing.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-07-15 2:33 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Panther Prowl Sprint Triathlon

2012-07-16 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4312359

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Panther Prowl Sprint Triathlon
Awesome race man.  I believe you may have been one of the only ones to do the full run course.  They have the first place guy running 5:35 min/miles.  I'm not saying he didn't, but it sure didn't look like he was running that much faster than us on the course.  Either way, awesome race!
2012-07-16 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4312359

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

nice work bro, glad the Zipp worked well!!!

2012-07-16 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4313583

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Rudedog55 - 2012-07-16 11:40 AM

nice work bro, glad the Zipp worked well!!!

ohh man me too. I was sweating my Glueing job on my tubular...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Panther Prowl Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed