General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I don't mind getting dropped Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-15 4:16 PM

Veteran
Subject: I don't mind getting dropped

I have been frequenting group rides over the past few months and I gotta say that riding with roadies has improved my average pace on solo rides and overall handling skills. I've learned that not all A+ rides are created equal, one day the group sticks to the 24mph top end (+/- a smidge) which is very managable, other days it's "bring your big boy undies" b/c we're going 26-32 mph.

I always do my part and take pulls on each ride and some days I make the whole ride, other days I get dropped half way through...doesn't bother me though b/c I know I'm getting stronger.

My last Olympic distance bike leg averaged 24 mph (my new PR) and I know it's b/c I've been sucking wind trying to keep up with roadies. So like I said, I don't mind getting dropped. It's also a plus when the group is encouraging.

2012-07-15 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4312451

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: I don't mind getting dropped
26-32 mph? Avg?
2012-07-15 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4312451

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Subject: RE: I don't mind getting dropped

My GF (a total roadie) couldn't understand why my bike-handling skills weren't improving when I started training; "you're going on all of these group rides, how can you not learn better bike handling?". I had to explain to her that they weren't "group rides", they were "Drop Rick Again", and I ended up riding alone for 80% of the ride. 

Now that the Cat 2 and 3 guys aren't riding with us, I can keep up, though it takes everything I have. It's paying off, but the first year and a half were brutal. The folks who think the Shootout in Tucson is a "nice weekend ride" do their own thing and us mere-mortals do the best we can.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I don't mind getting dropped Rss Feed