General Discussion Race Reports! » The Town of Chino Valley Adult & Youth & Relay Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Town of Chino Valley Adult & Youth & Relay Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chino Valley, Arizona
United States
Tri-Family Racing
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 45m 16s
Overall Rank = 16/35
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

We drove up to Chino Valley and stayed at the Days in about 2 1/2 miles from the CV Aquatic Center. Sure made for a relaxing race morning. Got up and ate some GrapeNuts with raisins and banana. Loaded up the Camel and headed over. A Monsoon season storm ws dropping on and off again rain all night and all morning.
Event warmup:

Not much, was stressing some over my transition stuff getting wet as the rain was picking up.
Swim
  • 06m 12s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yeah! Had the 2nd fastest swim time in my age group and placed higher overall in my swim than both my bike and my run! That has NEVER happened! Shaved :06 off my June time. Was really hoping to get it under 6 min.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

All my stuff was already wet! Tried getting wet socks on wet feet! I wasn't exactly tearing it up! I did manage to cover up my running shoes on the way out! All the transition time was in the bike segment today. I wore socks today because I got a nasty blister on my pinky toe last week at the Scottsdale race and it was still bugging me...
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could do about the rain...
Bike
  • 1h 14m 36s
  • 22 miles
  • 17.69 mile/hr
Comments:

WOW! Poured rain BAD for about 15 miles of the bike ride! It was nuts!!! When it wasn't pouring it was still coming down. The 3rd loop was getting gusty and windy. Afterwards I looked on my Weatherbug app and it said 13 mph wind, NOT! It was definately closer to 18-20. I felt I definately improved since the June race. I held back some and didn't push as hard. Racing 6 days prior and the rain had me riding a bit more tentative and considering my T1 was pathetic, only having lost :39 from June's race makes me feel great about my bike segment for this race.Plus, I felt better going into the run. Other than the fact of having wet socks and shoes that felt like cement blocks by the end of the bike:)

Not much, just keep working on my climbing!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2? What T2?? Lol! I was in and out! Made me feel good to have a good transition here considering my 1st one.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 29s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt better than the last race going into the run. The elevation thing was there but knowing it seemed to make it easier in a wierd way:) I did this whole race going back and forth witht the woman that ended up placing 3rd overall. We were back and forth on the bike and the last loop I just didn't want to keep her pace. So as the bike was finishing up, I saw her coming out of the parking lot to start her run and that perked my ears up and gave me my carrot to go after. I was killing myself to to catch up to her and at the turnaround I knew I was making up some time on her. After the turn around, I just stayed focused on her and did everything I could to catch her, and just couldn't do it. But, it sure helped and I definately made up some time on her. Helped me put the pain out of my mind:) Shaved a whopping 1:33 off my June time!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out inside the Aquatic Center and waited for the awards ceremony. Ate a bunch of fruit and hung out with Cedric!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm fat and slow!:) Just got to stay after it! Really felt the work I did in between these 2 Chino races helped. Racing last week definately affected me today but I still improved over the last 6 weeks. Being fresh would have been ideal but.....

Event comments:

Just did this exact same course on June 3rd! Spent the time between climbing and climbing and climbing some more on my bike. Did rides of 84 miles, 77 miles and 2 of 70 mile rides. Shaved exactly 1 minute off my June time for my total race time! Considering the conditions, I'm happy with everything. Early on, I was adjusting my expectations accordingly. I really didn't think I was gonna come close to my time until I got off the bike and realized I was getting it close. Def didn't think I was gonna beat my time!

Last updated: 2012-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:12 | 300 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 15/35
Performance: Good
Didn't even worry about hr, just swam!
Suit:
Course: 2x150 serpentine swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:36 | 22 miles | 17.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 18/35
Kept it 155/157
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: 3 loop 7+ mile course. My cyclometer said 22.38 miles.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:29 | 03 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 16/35
kept it 160/165 most of the way
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-15 6:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: The Town of Chino Valley Adult & Youth & Relay Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon

2012-07-16 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4312563

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: The Town of Chino Valley Adult & Youth & Relay Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon
Nice job Todd!  A top 5 AG finish and an improvement over a previous race, especially having to deal with rain and other conditions.  That shows consistency and improvement - well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Town of Chino Valley Adult & Youth & Relay Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed