General Discussion Race Reports! » Title 9 Women Only Massachusetts State Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Title 9 Women Only Massachusetts State Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winchendon, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 12m 10s
Overall Rank = 57/109
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Cereal, coffee, almonds, water, inhaler; was running late after having to get gas and put air in car tires.
Shout-out to my awesome Rookies! I have the BEST team of encouragers.
Event warmup:

Was pouring sweat and HR >100 just inflating tires and struggling into wetsuit; waded in to cool off; took one gel shortly before pre-race mtg on the beach.
Swim
  • 32m 2s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

I pushed harder today than in my first Oly, didn't sight as well though, and didn't find someone going my speed to draft behind. My goal was 30 mins, so I'm satisfied with this.
What would you do differently?:

more careful sighting; go faster as soon as I stood up in the water. A sleeveless wetsuit - not as hot?
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Had to sit down to put on socks and shoes, otherwise I would've fallen down. Took a moment to spray on sunscreen quickly.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 41s
  • 22 miles
  • 16.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm so glad I rode the course a few weeks ago at the pre-race clinic! My goal was 1:30, so I'm very happy with this. I pushed myself much more than in the first Oly but constantly wondered if I should slow to spare my legs ("should I be going faster? slower? faster? should I pass this woman? slow down??"). Concentrated on using my quads and staying as low/aero as possible. I expected to be passed by lots of people but only 13 passed me, so I was really pleased. I remembered especially Uncle Mike saying, "You will be surprised how much endurance you have!" and telling me not to worry about getting through the distance. Also thought about my brother and felt especially grateful for being able to participate in this event.
My front shifter/derailleur really sucked today; twice I had to unclip and kick it with my heel to get the chain to drop into the small ring. I expected this to happen, and it's my own fault for not taking the bike into the shop sooner. I rode in the big chain ring most of the time.
My HR was high at the beginning, 160, which I thought was not sustainable, but I hated to go too slowly. Reached max HR 169 (yikes!) on a hill but usually it was in Z3.
Took one gel early in the bike and one at the end; drained both my bottles. The breeze was great! Very nice roads.
Thanked every volunteer and police officer.

Get my bike tuned up and the chain/cassette/cables replaced a month before the race! And I need to find out how high my tires should really be inflated; have had conflicting advice.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

pretty tired; paused to gab with the lady in charge of TA for a moment -- I can't remember her name but she is so encouraging!
Run
  • 1h 15m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

No breeze, super sweaty, my HR was 150-160 a lot, which I didn't think was sustainable. I walked many times trying to get it down. Passed 5 women and was passed by 14 - not as bad as I expected. Everyone looked unhappy - even the leaders had grim expressions. Icy sponges at the aid stations were wonderful. I thanked every volunteer and police officer, and really made a fuss over the awesome brownie troop who were cheering us on with kazoos and cymbals!!

Did the best I could under the circumstances. Despite how slow my time was, I felt pretty good for the first three miles, then legs complained. I tried hard to pick up the pace for the last 2 miles UGH.
Post race
Warm down:

Kind volunteer sat me down in the med tent - with dozens of other women, drenched me with cold water, put my feet in a cold water bucket. EMTs got my pulse at 120 and BP at 110 over something, so they let me have some watermelon and then let me go. Visited with family then sat in the grass next to my bike, just breathing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was a hot and humid day, for us, and I'm not fully acclimated to it. Probably could bike/run this better after another month of training in summer weather. But mostly - just me, still new to this distance and still a BOP runner.

Event comments:

MaxPerformance always puts on a great race. This was a super course. Friendly crowd of women today for their first Title 9 Oly. I hope they run this event again next year!!

Last updated: 2012-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:02 | 1500 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 23/109
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Hurricane 1, felt HOT today
Course: counter-clockwise triangle, single loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:41 | 22 miles | 16.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 58/109
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: single loop, mostly false flats and long gentle hills, a couple of sharp turns; very well marked and the volunteers were excellent
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:15:00 | 06.21 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 80/109
Performance: Average
Course: out-back, shady, mostly flat, in state park and neighborhood
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-15 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
Subject: Title 9 Women Only Massachusetts State Triathlon

2012-07-15 6:57 PM
in reply to: #4312567

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa
Subject: RE: Title 9 Women Only Massachusetts State Triathlon
Great report and race Erin, congratulations on another fine effort and performance....you continue to get stronger and faster in each race - way to go!!
2012-07-15 7:20 PM

Uxbridge
WAY TO ROCK IT ERIN!!!!! 3rd Place Athena!!!
2012-07-15 7:20 PM

Great job!  Great report too!

I was there today too.  Did the swim today as part of a relay.  In reference to your swim, the water was very warm and I was in a shortie wetsuit.  77 degrees and wetsuit legal was a gift.  I'm guessing they took that water temp before the sun came up.   I was boiling after that last left turn. (The guards said the back straightaway was very shallow.) I wanted to rip my cap off I was so hot. 

I'm not super experienced but have done about 8 sprint tris.  Interestingly enough, I also had a lot of trouble sighting today....particularly down the back stretch.  I was so far off course it was funny. With the sun and the haze all I could see was white in front of me. 

It was a fun race and you did a great job!

2012-07-17 7:14 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Nice job Erin!  Hardware!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Title 9 Women Only Massachusetts State Triathlon Rss Feed