Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-28 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4383693

User image

New user

Dayton
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge

I found some further information.  He was in the mini, age was 69. It seems he was swimming erratically prior to being pulled from the water.  I'm guessing he was either a first timer or not very experienced.  According to the Dayton Daily News he did consult with a doctor prior to entering the race.

My wife saw someone swimming really slow,lots of backstroke, kind of out in the middle between waves.  She didn't think the person was in distress, just looked like a first timer trying to settle down or just really, really slow. 

I was near the front of the 30-40 half wave and thought I saw the paddleboarder near the 1st or 2nd orange buoy (1st lap) waving, but it was tough to see much of anything.  I thought he (she?) was signalling we were veering off course, it didn't seem urgent, more like a corralling motion.   I didn't recognize that there was an emergency, but it would have been about the right place.  

I think he entered the water late, but I can't imagine he'd have waited til after the 1/2.  He would have been in the water for a really long time, and if that gesturing was due to an emergency, then he was in trouble in the water for a long time.

My wife said the lifeguards were really shaken up about it and his family was there as well... really, really rough scene.  I'm sure they would all appreciate your prayers. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Buckeye Challenge Rss Feed  

of 3