General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress fracture 2nd meta tarsal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-16 5:11 AM

User image

Subject: Stress fracture 2nd meta tarsal

Has anyone had a stress fracture in the 2nd meta tarsal? I've been off running for 6 weeks now with that injury and want to get back into it... The physio recommended short runs mixed with walking every few hundred metres or so starting this week (his advice 2 weeks back after 2 weeks of walking). Im a little hesitant because its still slightly sore to touch on the top side but no pain or niggle just walking. Basically just interested if anyone has had the same injury and how long rehab took and how they attacked it (I can't afford to continue with the physio). I have my first half IM in Dec and would like to know just to ease the nerves.

cheers 

2012-07-16 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4313023

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: Stress fracture 2nd meta tarsal

Listen to your PT

Increase bike/swim, give run a rest

make sure you have cushy shoes

BE PATIENT WITH YOUR BODY

2012-07-16 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada

I agree give it another 2 weeks, I found taping my foot when I started back was helpfull as well added just a bit more stability, it wiil inhibit your toe off a bit but at this point that's not a bad thing, and you won't want to be attacking it either, come back slow and easy. Your still 6 months out from your projected HIM don't panic and rush it.

2012-07-16 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
joelcrad3 - 2012-07-16 12:11 PM

Has anyone had a stress fracture in the 2nd meta tarsal? I've been off running for 6 weeks now with that injury and want to get back into it... The physio recommended short runs mixed with walking every few hundred metres or so starting this week (his advice 2 weeks back after 2 weeks of walking). Im a little hesitant because its still slightly sore to touch on the top side but no pain or niggle just walking. Basically just interested if anyone has had the same injury and how long rehab took and how they attacked it (I can't afford to continue with the physio). I have my first half IM in Dec and would like to know just to ease the nerves.

Hi, I had one in beginning of march, for two months I only ran up to 1km once a week, mostly because during the day I'd not feel any pain but as soon as I started running I could feel it. After two months I started to do short regular runs, figured better to do frequent runs than distance runs, I did like 3k two or three times a week, and even that could cause pains.

I'm now beyond 5km and I have done 2 10k races in june almost 4 months after the injury. But I'm not up to speed yet, and I'm still careful not to overload my foot. 

I suggest you do extra swim and bike workouts instead of running, it's better to be sure that the fracture is properly healed. You can stay in good shape and fitness with the other sports.

Once you do start running, be very careful not to increase load too fast. Avoid running on hard surfaces, and beware of irregular surfaces too, a running track may be a good idea. Avoid speed work, avoid distance runs, go home one lap before planned or if you feel any pain. 

Add exercises strengthening the foot muscles to your program, like balance exercises that work the small muscles in the foot. Don't do weight exercises just yet, use your body as the natural weight. Walk barefoot now and then, but don't run without shoes with a soft sole. It's the sole in the forefoot that matters.

Whatever you do, listen to your body, pain is game over for the day.

Cheers, Erik

2012-07-16 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
one more thing: beware that you may unconsciously change your strike to relief your metatarsal of impact, only to expose some other part of the foot. Maintain your strike, stop at pain.
2012-07-16 10:20 AM

User image

Barrington
DId my 5th metatarsal back in HS, had a boot for 9 weeks...have never looked back but took the rest recommendations seriously. I would suggest you do walking / cycling as you get back into it, with eventually building the walks into some run/walk intervals...give your foot time to give you feedback before you over do it. Good luck!

2012-07-16 10:39 AM

New user
Greatest Place on Earth
I had a 2nd met stress fracture and didn't feel comfortable starting back running until 8 weeks.  I started with a walk/run on a soft surface flat path.  I could still feel 'it' slightly at this time but had no problems.
2012-07-16 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

my 2nd metatarsal fracture while doing hill repeats.  ran on the thing for quite awhile, didn't heal until I stopped for about 6 weeks.

gradually built my running back up, walking and running soft surfaces. took about a month.

Might consider getting Hoka's to give you more cushion while you are trying to rehab.

Pretty expensive but lots of people like them for long distance running.

2012-07-18 3:01 AM

User image

Some great advice guys.... Thanks, I suppose ill wait another few weeks and incorporate all your suggestions.
2012-07-23 4:12 AM
in reply to: #4313437

User image

Thanks for the detailed reply.... I live right on the beach, what are you thoughts about starting back running on sand? I figure its soft but might use unfamiliar muscles which could have an influence on it?
2012-07-23 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4324856

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I believe I was successful rehab'ing on the sand. I did use five fingers to do so, mainly to keep the abrasion down, but also to give a little support. Worked well, although the sand wore out the 5 fingers pretty fast.

I did a combination or stretching, walking, running, and core exercises on the beach to rehab. I took it slow and increased my mileage carefully.

If there is a slope to the sand, be careful not to run too long on one side, can cause issues.

2012-07-23 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4324856

User image

Regular
Thousand Oaks
What kind of beach?  If the sand is very soft I'd go barefoot to eliminate the vast majority of jarring.  If it is that courser type sand it takes the skin right off my feet.  I have a stress fracture in the upper tibia right now so I do exclusively swimming and biking alternating every other day.  Aside from my calves being sore after my first run back from injury I don't anticipate much loss on the run at all.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress fracture 2nd meta tarsal Rss Feed