General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 35s
Overall Rank = 4/104
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Rode to race site with Brent and Ken, got to Brent's house at 4:10 as Ken like to be very early into transition. Up at 3:40, grapenuts w/ banana for breakfast, banana in the car, V8 Fusion about 1.5hr before race start. We arrived on site around 5:25, there were already a few bikes in transition but we all got good spots.
Event warmup:

Rode about 1 mile to check functionality and loosen the legs. Did a good long 2 part swim warmup, 1st about 1 hr before race time at the swim start, then about 30 minutes to race time at the swim exit.
Swim
  • 10m 54s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Mass start of all short course males. Started on extreme inside, about the time I settled into a good swim effort, maybe 50-100m after the start, I feel some feet ahead of me and see Ken's white swim cap when I sight, immediately after that a dude runs into me from the right, no big deal, I swim another 5 breaths or so watching him and adjusting my course, next time I sight forward we're way off line to the left, I correct back to the right and run into him, go through the cycle a couple times with the thought that it is easier and faster to wait for this dude to see the turn bouy and fix his course than swim through him, didn't happen, I picked up the pace a little and got about a half body length on him then angled toward the turn bouy, some contact occurred and a couple strokes later he was off my feet heading left again. By this point I had completely lost Ken, made the first turn and had clear water the rest of the race, swam very straight to the 2 bouys along the back stretch, made the turn for the beach around the pin bouy and headed straight for the beach (the line for the beach is inside the rest of the pin bouys which denote a swimming area for boat traffic). I then see and hear a lifeguard yelling and splashing me towards the rest of the pin bouys, my initial reaction is "I know the course", but then I can see the rest of the guys around me swimming outside the bouys and nobody between me and the beach, I didn't actually hear the last pre-race briefing in the water, and it really isn't that much further so I shifted course and hit the last pin bouy without loosing a spot.

Afterward found I was 9th out of the water in the heat, talking to several of the guys ahead of me that had gotten away from the pack they all skipped the pin bouys and went straight in, so either everybody ignored the lifeguard or he had just swam over there after watching what he thought was the lead pack cut the course.
What would you do differently?:

Ignore the lifeguard and guys around me who don't know the course, only cost maybe 10 seconds though.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

2OA/1AG. Short, steep, sandy hill into transition and my bike was right at the swim entrance, dipped my feet into Brent's water bucket, threw on helmet and glasses, and took off. It was a long run to the mount line from the racks.

not use the water bucket, Ken managed 5 seconds faster than me.
Bike
  • 31m 52s
  • 11.4 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Nobody was in sight coming out of transition or around the lake (although it is very hard to look around without running off the road), finally saw a couple guys ahead of me on the first climb away from the lake about 3 miles into the bike leg. My plan was to hit each climb with the hardest effort that I could maintain through the hill, easy spin to recover on the descent, and walk that fine line between too easy and too hard when it was flatish. I was catching the 2 guys I could see at a pretty reasonable rate, as we approached the turnaround there was a group of 3 coming back which put me in 6th, caught the 1st guy at the start of the descent before the turnaround, saw that Ken was the next guy when he made the turn, and caught Ken at the top of the hill after the turnaround. That put me in 4th and there didn't appear to be anybody coming up except those I just passed.

Drank about 24 oz water, ate nothing.

nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

11OA/1AG. For some reason I took my helmet off after I unbuckled it while I'm still running with my bike, it then occurred to me, I've either got to stop and put down the helmet or rack my bike one handed, I chose the third option, drop it on my bag and watch it bounce and roll down the hill toward the lake while racking bike. It only rolled about half way to the lake. Put on socks and shoes.

Socks take a lot of time to put on, don't wear them.
Run
  • 21m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Walked the hill out of transition and handed my man card to the lady at the top, although I still believe it is no slower to walk than run and probably more efficient. Tried to maintain a comfortably uncomfortable pace the whole time, the leader went by shortly after I passed through the first mile and was flat out cruising (5:21/mile avg). Managed a negative split through the run, no doubt aided by the hill out of transition. Took a shot of water and dumped the rest on myself at every aid station.

nothing, maybe run up the transition hill and keep my man card.
Post race
Warm down:

sat in lake, took shower at campground, stood in shade and sweated.

Event comments:

A real nice low key event, this is one of my favorites.

Last updated: 2012-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:54 | 547 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 9/104
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: CCW Triangular course, turn 1 is near 180 degrees, turn 2 is ~90 degrees at the furthest out pinbouy.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:52 | 11.4 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Overall: 2/104
238W avg, 250W normalized, 262W when pedaling
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly bugger http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199547848
Road:   Cadence: 92
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:21:24 | 03.1 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 6/104
7:02, 6:51, 6:48, 5:39 for the .17 mile downhill finish
Course: out and back with a short steep hill just after transition. Course GPS'd at 3.2 miles so pace was maybe about 10s per mile faster.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-16 1:21 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed