World Triathlon Corporation
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 40m
Overall Rank = 487/2227
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 83/293
Pre-race routine:

got up early (3am) ate some breakfast then laid back down (was planning on doing some yoga, but just couldn't talk myself into it. Got back up 35 minutes later to drive into Racine and set up transition
Event warmup:

swam 5-10 minutes briefly in Lake Michigan to get a feel for water temperature
Swim
  • 37m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim was little shaky to start - seemed like there was a lot of bodies in the water at one time, so my breathing was little labored until I rounded the buoy to begin the straight line south when the crowd thinned out a bit. Sighting was good and I felt like a traveled a fairly straight line only veering to miss hitting people or people that were going to hit me. Again towards the end someone knocked my goggle off with their arm stroke, but this time I was able to stop a second, drain the water an continue on my way. The water was PERFECT - clear and cool temperature. Thinking back this is the only segment I felt I could have put more effort into on that particular day. Had one goo minutes prior to start. Was going to drink a water on the way down to the start, but some miscommunication between my wife and I nixed that plan.
What would you do differently?:

put a bit more effort into speed
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

They had wet suit strippers which helped me a great deal in this transition over others I have done myself. My wetsuit has a tear near the ankle, so it kind of got caught up there, but still faster than usual. Had to take a leak after drinking a lot overnight and in the morning.

not much - maybe put more sunscreen on. I have a real mild sun burn on my shoulders and neck.
Bike
  • 2h 51m
  • 56 miles
  • 19.65 mile/hr
Comments:

My cadence sensor had not worked the day before when bringing in the bike to transition, so I was pleasantly surprised when it was working on race day...that lasted until somewhere around mile 35 over a bumpy section of pavement when I looked down and saw that my bike computer was missing - darn it! Luckily by that time the pace had been set and I pushed it pretty hard figuring that the run was going to be a hot one with the temperature inching up as time went on. I had been worried about the whole water transfer thing at the aid stations, but that turned out to be a non issue. Drank probably 4.5 bottles of mostly water total on the bike and had two goos and one granola bar for nutrition. For some weird reason the middle toe of my left foot cramped up a couple times (never had had this happen before) and then felt my hamstring tighten up when dismounting the bike, but luckily neither bothered me during the run.

Not much felt good about my effort here - maybe make sure my bike computer is fastened down good and tight :). I also have to look at other bike saddle options over the off season. I have a feeling there is something more comfortable out there. However, even though I don't have a fancy bike. I have to say I really love my bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

A usual quick transition. Drank a last gulp of water and headed out on the run. It was getting hot!

again the sunscreen maybe, and stuff goo into my back shirt pocket.
Run
  • 2h 04m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

HOT! Most of the time I would not be really happy with this time overall, but on this particular day I'll take it. Drank a ton of water and took ice every chance I got - put it down my shirt and on top of my head. It was somewhat disheartening to see the mileage signs on the first loop knowing you would have to make that second loop. Even though my stomach felt bloated from all the fluids I had taken in my mouth and throat still felt dry. Choked down some pretzels a couple times to get some salt in. Ran during most of the course, but began walking through the aid stations on the second loop back.

This is all I had for that particular day. Wish it could have been prettier.
Post race
Warm down:

some volunteer at the finish line poured a bottle of ice cold water on me. Boy did that feel great! Went over to the post race food tent (got sidetracked and ambled through the first aid tent on the way over - saw some people in a whole lot of hurt!) Ate a sub, bananas, can of 7up and the best a chocolate chip cookie. Really missed the chocolate milk (my favorite post race drink, surprising since I'm vegan)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat

Event comments:

very good. it will be a toss up as to whether I do Racine again next year or try the Door County HIM as a run up to IMOO in 2013.

Last updated: 2012-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/293
Overall: 0/2227
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra vortex
Course: pretty much a straight line
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:00 | 56 miles | 19.65 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: rolling hills - a few sketchy pavement sections - one in which I lost my bike computer:(
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:04:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: two loop out and back with a couple small hills at the beginning of each loop. Not a lot of shade especially on that second loop when the sun was overhead. Some residents had some sprinklers going which was very welcome!
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-16 4:12 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2012-07-17 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4314547

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine
Awesome job!!! Every event was great!! I'm really impressed with that run considering the conditions. You have inspired me to train harder
2012-07-17 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4314547

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine

You killed it Todd!   You are kind of getting the hang of this "Triathlon thing"   (saracsm font needed)     Superstar you are!  We are proud of you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed