General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Realistic Goals for IM Louisville Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-16 9:18 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Subject: Realistic Goals for IM Louisville
I am a little less than 6 weeks out from IM Lou and just did a half this weekend -- I did Musselman in Geneva NY.  Definitely less hilly and the second half was extremely fast.  My bike split was 2:55 and my run split was 1:51.  (My swim stunk as usual - 43.)   Any advice on where to pace myself on the run and the bike?  I went by heart rate yesterday and kept it at 150 for the bike and 165 for the run... obviously I'll need to keep it lower for the full distance.

2012-07-17 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4315040

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Realistic Goals for IM Louisville

Great times for in your 70.3!

swim- 43 x 2 = 1 hour 22 min swim

bike- 2:55 x 2 = 5:50

run- 1:51 x 2 = 3:42

total- 10:54

*now you have to add 30 min to bike because you'll probably take it a bit slower, then add 30 min to run due to fatigue/cramping, add another 30 minutes for issues such as flat tire, pee breaks, GI issues, water stops, picture with family, untied shoe lace, etc... 

My crystal ball tells me 12:24...best of luck

2012-07-17 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN

Good luck in Louisville.  My wife and I are doing it also.   I've been spending some time thinking about realistic goals for my race also.  I'm hoping for sub 12 but that might go out the window if we have a crazy hot/humid day.  

I use this site, mostly just for fun, to see what they think I can do it in based on my recent power #'s and training volume:  http://www.triathloncalculator.com/ 

In terms of pacing, I guess I would really pay attention to how you feel on your long trianing rides and use those as a guide.   If possible maybe work in a  race simulation day where you swim 60 minutes, bike 4-5 hours and then go for a 1 hour run (or some variation of this).  If the 1 hour run feels good then that means your pacing on the bike is at least in ballpark.  If it feels like a death march then you know you have to dial it back.

2012-07-17 8:01 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

At Lou you really need to have two separate plans depending on the heat. 

If it's hot take it easy early and be very careful not to overheat.  Once you overheat there isn't much you can do and you will be walking with stomach and leg cramps.  Drink enough water, but be careful not to over do it.  Carry an extra water bottle for dumping on the head every 15 mins of the bike.  Watch out for the late aid stations to be out of fluids.

If it's cooler I think it's a course that you could push it a bit since the last 20 miles of the bike are fast and the run is flat.  Push it doesn't mean going hard though.  I just mean you can race closer to your limits.  Aim for 12 to 12:30.

2012-07-17 11:52 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury

It's an IM whole new game, I ran a very similar HIM as you did in your area Lake Anna State Park at the Kinetic HIM finished 5:42, 6 weeks out that got me thinking wow maybe I can break 12 at Coeur D Alene, well after checking out the bike course , I decided to shoot for sub 13 then race day, the bike was even harder then I thought, and I had a few stomach issues so I fell back to sub 14 and needed a negative split to get that on the run 13:55

So my advice is to be conservative and have fall back goals so you can enjoy your big day.

Goals to finish

sub 14 sub 13 would be great, if you feel you went to slow try and get that run split under 2 for the second half of your run, try and build your race all day

It is a big mental boost if your running the second half of the marathon when most of the folks in the 13 -14 hour range are doing a lot of walking. That would be the best way to get it as close to 12 as possible....good luck let us know how it goes.

2012-07-17 3:58 PM

User image

New user

My goals - not to drown, not to crash, and not to trip .....all under each leg cutoff and under the 17h limit.  This will be my first IM.  With the heat, all my goals go out the window. I just have one true goal, pace correctly to run strong the last 6 miles. I want to be one who is running and passing the dealth marchers.

2012-07-17 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4316582

User image

New user
Salisbury
chenny - 2012-07-17 4:58 PM

My goals - not to drown, not to crash, and not to trip .....all under each leg cutoff and under the 17h limit.  This will be my first IM.  With the heat, all my goals go out the window. I just have one true goal, pace correctly to run strong the last 6 miles. I want to be one who is running and passing the dealth marchers.

That's what I am talking about Chenny, I finally started feeling better the last 10 or so miles of IMCDA what a great mental boost and the crowd picks up on it and your getting all the props from the fans made my whole (hour slower IM then I thought) so much fun the day was a great success 

2012-07-17 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
I live and train next to the beach in southern California. I've never been east of Colorado and know nothing of Kentucky other than that it is a rolling course and will be hotter than hell. My go is to survive and if possible do at least as good as I did in CdA last year (similar hilly bike course) which was a 12:23. I know there isnt a chance in hell of besting my PR of 11:36.Honestly I'm just looking forward to the idea of flying to a brand new place to race with no family or baggage.
2012-07-19 2:33 PM

User image

Regular
Boston

As a very very rough target id drop at least 10 beats for your HR off of the bike- so if you did 150bpm on the bike in a half, id target 135-140 for the full.

the MOST important part of racing a full successfully is keeping your bike pace slow for the first 3 hours of the bike- its what almost everyone screws up in their first IM.

If you do it right it will feel SILLY easy for the first half of the bike..

2012-07-19 2:33 PM

User image

Regular
Boston

As a very very rough target id drop at least 10 beats for your HR off of the bike- so if you did 150bpm on the bike in a half, id target 135-140 for the full.

the MOST important part of racing a full successfully is keeping your bike pace slow for the first 3 hours of the bike- its what almost everyone screws up in their first IM.

2012-07-21 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4320519

User image

Master
T1_Coach - 2012-07-19 3:33 PM

He posted it twice and I'm bolding for emphasis.

Go at La-di-da pace on the bike. The difference for me in La-di-da and what I thought was an appropriate pace was 2.5 hrs on the run:  La-di-da 7:29 bike = 4:22 run at Wisconsin.  Too hard 6:48 bike = 7:03 run in Louisville.

Do not go even remotely hard on the first half of the bike.  Going too hard (under 130 bpm for me after a similar split to yours in my half) on the bike = stomach shutdown at Louisville.  I did it.  The dudes I walked with who were trying to break 10 hrs did it. 

Ignore all of the people who pass you in the first 40 miles.  OR, remember them and laugh when you pass them at the end of the bike or on the run when they are trudging or touring the potties.

Edited by Mrs. brown_dog_us 2012-07-21 2:40 PM

2012-07-26 5:28 PM

Indiana
I just rode the Louisville bike course last week.  You may already know this but the first 12 miles are dead flat.  Don't let it give you in a false sense of security because after that there is barely any stretch longer than 1 mile that is flat.  The toughest hills are are on the turn around section that happens early in the course.  After that there isn't any one hill that is really tough but they don't stop.  It is a "rolling" course but not one where you can effectively and consistently use the downhill for the next uphill.  The course is tough.   If its hot (which giving the weather around here right now it will be) then it will be brutal.   You will want to pace yourself accordingly.  That said the course is quite pretty with some great countryside to see.
2012-07-26 7:59 PM

User image

zenetanar - 2012-07-16 4:18 PM I am a little less than 6 weeks out from IM Lou and just did a half this weekend -- I did Musselman in Geneva NY.  Definitely less hilly and the second half was extremely fast.  My bike split was 2:55 and my run split was 1:51.  (My swim stunk as usual - 43.)   Any advice on where to pace myself on the run and the bike?  I went by heart rate yesterday and kept it at 150 for the bike and 165 for the run... obviously I'll need to keep it lower for the full distance.

Whatever you do, pace yourself based on effort.  RPE and or HR.  Don't pace yourself on speed.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Realistic Goals for IM Louisville Rss Feed