Musselman Triathlon
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 33m 16s
Overall Rank = 612/828
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 51/63
Pre-race routine:

Spent Saturday at the mini-mussel rest stop than resting and tweaking the bike. I should of put water skis on it. Got to bed around 10 and sleep around 11. Up a couple times to pee and drink. At 3:00am it was still 73 out. Ugh. Up at 4:45am, oatmeal and water and more water. Fill bottles and load truck. Ken was Bike Transition marshal but they didn't even give him a badge nice to have a friendly face in T2. Yes sir, no sir thing was little much but OK.
Got there about 5:50 and sat in line for 10 minutes. Gotta remember to come in the other way as turning left nice people give you a break and you don't have to wait as long. Remember to pack garbage bags to cover stuff. Glad I did.
Found out the lake was to warm and not wet suit legal. I was gonna wear anyhow but Ken called me a wus and so I bagged the suit in the T-bag that is and took Jersey off, that will be fun to get on later. Watched the waves go off. Ran into Rstock and Erica.
Event warmup:

The start line is out about 200ft so swam half of it, pretty shallow.
Swim
  • 37m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started mid front. The start line was about 100ft wide so we had good distribution of swimmers. Only done one OWS sans wetsuit so this is gonna be interesting. I'm use to not having to kick at all.
We had out and first few 100 yds are low on chop but that changed to "This sucks real fast. I was actually doing a good job drafting off some guy. First buoy some poor girl from the previous wave was hanging on a kayak. Those guys were busy all the way around. There was one with 3 hanging out on it.
The chop was steep and getting sight of buoys took a couple look ups before.
I thought when we turned I was hoping at the turn it would lighten but no go. Instead it was quartered and tough to breathe and pushing you off course. Had to realign often. I was picking up a few of the previous waves here and there. Eric must have been having a tough time as she usually beats me well but i believe I passed her. Turned to canal and got a break and some downhill waves. Nice to feel that surge behind you pushing. Got into canal with everyone comes together so there is a little mixing up. At one time I was coming up a guy and look to go around and I'm boxed in by a couple of my wave buddies. At the second turn I stayed wide and avoided a lot of the nonsense. Swam right up to the boat launch till I touched with my hands.
What would you do differently?:

Wear the damn wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Went well. Put sun screen on but don't know why. Getting jersey on wasn't too bad. I left my coffee next to my bike and it was nice to have a little shot before heading out.

Forget the sun screen.
Bike
  • 3h 17m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on to the course well. Up 96 dry and pushing well until the side road. Its deceiving because it look flat but its really a 2-3% grade. We turn back north and have a nice downhill grade for 5 miles or so. Of course the weather that way is dark and a good flash of lightning. Oh well we all keep heading into it. Don't know why we are rushing into the storm but here we go. Hopefully at the turn we will head away.
Starts with a quick pidder padder and then a deluge. It was hard to see through the glasses so dropped them down on the nose but with so much rain it just kept pelting my eyes so glasses back up. There was layer of water on the road so I road in the path of the Amish horse take just right ot the fog line. Its chewed up a little bit by the shoes but should give some good traction. Still guys pass me. Sorry I like to stop if need be and to stay up right. We got lightning right, left and dead head. Oh didn't win the lottery last night so I should be good. If I ever do win the lottery I be scared shitless.
There a few turns quick down to Cayuga lake. The first turn to volunteer is waving feverishly to slow down, I squeeze the breaks hard and nothing for about 15 seconds then finally some slowing. I handle a bike well but its the road I don't trust. Its a good downhill and seems interesting to be 25mph dodging puddles barely able to see through my glasses. As we drop a steep downhill to a hard right on to the lake road. Some guy passes me. I just think "will that cop catch me or am I going for another swim?". Make the corner and 100yds going south it lets up to a light rain. The road is still very wet. 1/2 mile the road steam is starting to heat up and humidity is coming back up. 6 miles the 8-9% grade comes up and we get to head up without rain. There is a group trying to fix a derailleur and at the top of the hill a guy snaps his chain in front of me. Another three miles of uphill then back down to Seneca Lake.
Sampson park rough pavement seems better today. I passed by two guys who passed me earlier before rain and one comments "when did you get a ahead of me?" I have no clue. There are flats showing up every where. The rain washes the little pieces of sharp flint up and it digs into the tread and makes it way through. I got no riding buddies this year.
Hit East Lake Rd, must have a little tail wind as its not that bad. Finally down hill to finish and home to T2. Again a smart ass remark from Ken about stopping by the Tiki Bar. If there had been and I any cash would have been a option.

Wear my swim goggles. I was really thinking I could just leave them on my neck.
If I had know it was gonna be that bad, not put the wheel cover on cause it filled with a little water. When I slowed I could hear it sloshing around.
Stop at the close produce stand with the over hang to wait out the rain.
Pee on the bike because there was enough watery horseshit it won't have made it made a difference.
Transition 2
  • 08m 40s
Comments:

What can I say. I talked to Ken. Changed into shorts. Sat down to put shoes on and generally took my time. Enough to put me in last place in the race for T2.
The lady at the exit wanted my chip. Uh?? Oh my bib is under my shirt. My knee is fine I got 13.1 miles to run. Do I look that bad? Maybe it my non nonchalant walk to the run out or in my case a slow stroll out. I lean against the exit and debate crossing the line. Really I can just stand here shoot the shit with Ken and go get lunch. I finally get going stop to tie my shoe again, but decide I need to run b/t rest stops despite what I feel like.

Not much pretty much enjoyed myself.
Run
  • 2h 27m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Well here we go. I made a pack to myself to run all the way b/t rest stops. Legs are felling OK. Practiced taking it easy and holding the pace well. One mile in 12 minutes well OK I'm ready to move faster. Water, electrolytes and off to RS2.
RS2 water and sponges half cup of HEED. Doesn't taste bad. No Teresa there to kick me in the ass.
RS3 water and change of sponge, sound like a Seinfeld show.
RS4 water, HEED sponge longer walk take a pack of Cliffshot to carry to RS5 they have Cliffshots there.
RS5 water, and ingest half of pack of shots ingest as chewing them, slime them up and swallow. Take off running well. like for real. Its a bit of downhill. Run a couple mile with a few others. Damn no cute lass to share the misery with.
RS6 water, pretzels (soggy). Up the road and turn onto gravel road. Gravel is an understatement. Hit the middle of the road and pick my way without hitting any big stones. Run up to RS7 and 7 mile mark. Not bad half way. Water and change my sponge. Walk to top of the gravel hill. Tina says that is OK. Everyone else is so don't to make anyone feel bad. Its just a civic duty I do. Short up hill and on;y to bad hills to go. For the most part its downhill.
RS7 WHAT no Cindy to give a wet sweaty hug? Damn where are my girls to get me through this. The kids do a good job but people look at you funny when grown men hug them. Change my sponge.
RS8 or RS3 backwards. Starting to feel the exhaustion set in. Little water, HEED and change my sponge. They change the course a little and with head down a steep slope almost un-runnable. Oh well it should be shorter by a little miss the cheer from the bars. Probably got tired of sending a shuttle bus to pick up the runner that came to their senses.
RS9 or RS2 backwards. Water, HEED,change my sponge. Starting to heat up a little. Run about half way and gotta stop and walk. Damn but not bad.
RS10 or RS1 backwards, you guess it. Water and change sponge. Little HEED. Walk about tenth of a mile to 12 mile mark. To make Marmadaddy proud I need to run that home and I do. Hear my name at the finish line and it feel good. 6:33 I'll take it.

Find some cute thing to pace with.
Wear tri shorts not so wet and floppy after getting them wet. Find another top when the tank get wet it made a slapping sound on right arm.
Maybe have a few more pretzels and animal crackers.

Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, two fist full of watermelons sat in the kiddy pool without even taking my shoes off. They are just leave hose running I have a nice waterfall sound to calm me. Decide I'm hungry and head for the chow line.
Pulled pork and Jamaican chicken sliders and tater salad, nice yogurt and cookie. Find a table to sit at then listen to others experiences. One girl said she passed a rest stop that a girl had stopped at in melt down during the rain. The girl didn't even get off her bike just crying and being hugged by volunteers. Poor kid.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No one to race but me.
No wetsuit.
8 minute T2.
Tropical deluge.
Lack of vision more then 100 feet on the bike.
Changing my sponge at every rest stop.

Event comments:

Had a lot of fun as not a lot of pressure. Not that racing for steaks is much pressure.
First race without wet suit, need to practice more OWS without it. So far this year two tri's rain at both hope that doesn't hold.
Ken nice to have a friendly face in the transition area.
Erica did beat me on the swim but not by a huge amount.
Good race and top notch organization.
Thanks to all the volunteers, awesome job in the rain and heat.
We pay for the pain go figure.

Last updated: 2011-10-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:08 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/63
Overall: 195/828
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR tri shorts.
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:17:22 | 56 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 50/63
Overall: 597/828
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:40
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:27:16 | 13.1 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/63
Overall: 633/828
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-16 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2012-07-17 4:26 AM
in reply to: #4315123

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Very good race and an enjoyable reading your race report.  The steak challenge will be back on for next year!!

It was amazing the number of people that came in to transition from the bike telling tales of having 3 or 4 flats.  Bike support said it was the most they had ever had to deal with!

Great race Dud!!

2012-07-17 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran

Nice job Dudley! 

Your race report was fun to read.  I'm pretty sure I saw you go by on the bike on that side road after we came off of 96.  I also saw that poor guy with the broken chain except by time I got there he was walking back down the hill with it dragging behind his bike.

It was nice to meet you.  Maybe I'll see you next year!

2012-07-17 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh

Good job! That was a tough day out there...rough conditions. I could have written that bike race report myself...I had the same exact thoughts! I even said to one of the volunteers at an aid station that "I wish I was wearing my goggles right now!"

2012-07-17 8:52 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great race in the soggiest of circumstances.
2012-07-18 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4317042

User image

Master
Canandaigua

QueenZipp - 2012-07-17 9:52 PM Great race in the soggiest of circumstances.

Soggy is an understatement.

2012-07-19 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

WOW! What a race!!! No wonder you were too "busy to talk" on Sunday you did fantastic!!! I don't know that I would have survived that bike...

nicely done, Dex!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed