General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crap. I'm injured. Does a training program exist for me? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-16 11:39 PM

User image

New user

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Crap. I'm injured. Does a training program exist for me?

Hello - I'm injured (torn hamstring and bad concussion - mtn biking injury) and unfortunately won't be able to do the triathlon I had planned to do with my dad here in Victoria, B.C. 

With that said, and even though I won't be able to do a race this summer, I am keen to somehow keep up my training so that when I am better I won't have to start from square 1 again.

I'm trying to figure out a training program and don't know where to start. 

I have two questions: Can anyone recommend a good website/book, etc about training while injured? And secondly - is there such a thing as coaches who specialize in coaching injured triathletes? Where do I find one?

Thanks in Advance- any feedback is much appreciated!

Amber

2012-07-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4315164

User image

Regular
SE Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Crap. I'm injured. Does a training program exist for me?

Not sure I can answer your specific question, but I can say I feel your pain.  I'm recovering from a hamstring tear myself, and it really sucks.  Are you sure that's what it is? How severe a tear is it?

One thing I will say is that physical therapy has helped me a great deal in recovering.  If you can find a good PT and can explain what your goals are, they should be able to help, though it may take some time.  I didn't run at all for over 2 months, then eased back in very gradually.  But, you can probably swim and do some upper body strengthening in the meantime (that's what I did to stay a bit sane).

Good luck

2012-07-19 1:12 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

double post

Edited by QueenZipp 2012-07-19 1:12 PM
2012-07-19 1:12 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

While injured, do what you can without irritating the hamstring.  Swimming is generally okay. maybe light (no hard effort) biking.

Look at it like a post season came early so it doesn't do a mental number on you.  Then, when you are healed up follow an off season plan with all the sports to maintain a decent base. 

I spent a long time on the sideline with a gastrocs tear a couple years ago and more time in the pool than I care to think about.....but it helped.

Recover well!!

2012-07-20 6:29 AM
in reply to: #4319658

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you get a good physiotherapist, who understands your goals and works with athletes, you have a better chance of not going completely bonkers.

I did a lot of pool work after my injury, and slowly graduated what I could do as my physiotherapist allowed it.

There will definitely be new challenges as well!  Don't push your injury though, or you'll risk having a much longer term injury that doesn't get fully healed up!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crap. I'm injured. Does a training program exist for me? Rss Feed