General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-17 7:30 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Subject: Training Question

This is my first Ironman, and I'm following the Fink plan (though I have to switch the days around sometimes) and I have a question about the long runs.  When I train fora marathon my schedule usually looks something like 18 miles 9 weeks out, then drop back to 14 and 16, then up to 20, then drop back and drop back, then 22 three weeks out.  With a long run training pace around 9:00 - 9:15, if I follow the time based plan I'll be running 17-20 miles for three weeks in a row rather than having any "fall back" weeks.  Is this what most plans call for?  I ran 18 miles on July 4, and I am unsure if it's great for my legs to do three runs of that distance or more for the next three weeks.   I'm just under 6 weeks out for IM Lou.

Thanks.

2012-07-17 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4315351

Veteran
Vicksburg
Subject: RE: Training Question
I have seen two different plans that follow what you describe.  I have only completed 1 IM (2012 Lake Placid) so some more veterns may want to chime in to give better advice.  Last year I did all my long runs the day after my long ride.  It beat the hell out of me and made most of the next weeks workouts useless (in terms of speed work/power etc.)  I could put in the time but I just did not have it in my legs.  This year I am training for Florida and am winging the run workouts following more of a Barry P plan the best I can.  I am up to 14 miles and that is above where I was last year during this time in my training.  For the most part I have still been running on Sundays due to some work/traveling obligations but as I get closer to IMFL I plan on focusing the long run in the middle of the week and long rides on the weekend.
2012-07-17 8:59 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg

As far as fall back weeks neither of the plans (an old EN plan and Matt Fitzgeralds book) have them besides their test week or taper weeks.

2012-07-17 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I would stick with the plan.  Now is not the time to start second-guessing it.
2012-07-17 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4315521

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
peewee - 2012-07-17 8:59 AM

As far as fall back weeks neither of the plans (an old EN plan and Matt Fitzgeralds book) have them besides their test week or taper weeks.

Fitzgerald's plans most definitely have what I would consider "fall back" weeks. They are labeled "recovery" in his book. From his book:

Step Cycles
Step cycles are four-week blocks of training in which the second week is more challenging than the first, the third week is more challenging than the second, and the fourth week is a recovery week., in which training volume is reduced 10 to 20 percent. Training in step cycles is much better than training with less week-to-week variation in training volume. The incremental training increases in the first three weeks to ensure that your fitness moves in a positive direction with minimal risk to injury or exhaustion. The recovery weeks taken every fourth week allow your body to fully absorb recent training and prepare for still more challenging training in the weeks to come. 

2012-07-17 9:49 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
What have been your long runs to date - can you outline them? Are they in cycles?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Question Rss Feed