General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone Have Aero Bars on Their Road Bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-18 4:40 AM
in reply to: #4315936

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Anyone Have Aero Bars on Their Road Bike?
I put some clip-ons on my road bike, and I loved it from day one. It's a more relaxing ride to be on your forearms instead of your hands.

2012-07-18 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4317059

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA

tri42 - 2012-07-17 10:10 PM
bhctri - 2012-07-17 9:51 PM Have PD Jammer GT on mine.  Love them!!!  Don't like riding in the traditional position any more.  Nothing better than getting on the bars and hammering. 
I have these too. Not bad at all.

Me too... absolutely do get some aerobars if you're a triathlete and can afford them.

2012-07-18 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4317398

User image

Veteran
Maine
I have a set of Profile Design T2 DL on my road bike and really like them.  It felt a little twitchy at first but I've gotten used to them and they've really made a difference on some rides.
2012-07-18 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

I've used clip on's since my first days of tri's, 20 years ago. Even when I am not racing, it is not to have extra positions for the hands. As for the posting that you can't shift gears, you can re-route the cables and install shifters on the bar ends. I've never done that, and since switching several years ago from my old bike (with the shifters on the downtube) to a more modern designed integrated shifter, I am fine with the set up I have.

I convinced several friends to add clip ons when we would be out for a ride, and then I would just drop into the aero position, and without changing anything else about cadence, pull away with an extra 3-4 MPH.

2012-07-18 10:09 AM

User image

Overland Park
I have a Felt Z25 that I added Profile T-2 to over the winter and the aero position is my preferred riding position now.   I did add a Profile Forward Seat Position post, so I could be fitted correctly.   I did notice the first few times my hamstrings getting more of a work out but also have not noticed any of the dead or heavy leg feelings when I start running after T2.  I did pick up 1 to 1.5 mph improvement in my speed.
2012-07-18 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4316030

User image

Veteran

PanicTour - 2012-07-17 1:40 PM Roadie with clip-ons is the only bike i have.  I've done everything from a sprint to HIM...great set-up if you are on a budget.

+1

Rest your arms, gain 1-2 mph, use less watts.  Once you get comfortable, it's easier to eat while riding in aero position, you have both hands close together, near your mouth, and if you mount a bottle and straw you have hands free hydration.

My bike fit included slightly lowering my seat, which I didn't think I needed, but in the aero position, I'm bent lower and my hamstrings are pulled straighter.  So lowering was the right thing.  My expert bike fitter showed me pictures.  Before lowering seat, I was reaching down and pedaling through the bottom of the stroke with ankle extension, "dipping my toe in the water".  After lowering, I have a lower heel, more power through the bottom, and no tight hamstrings.  Clip-on aero bars ~$100.  Bike fit ~$150 and worth every penny.  

Riding in aero on a road bike is more "squirrelly" than on a tri bike, but you get smoother with practice.  I'm now completely comfortable with it.  I frequently power pedal around corners staying on the aero bars.  It can be done.  Practice, practice.

2012-07-18 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran

I too have aeros mounted on my road bike... also invested in some lovely Zipp404's and I'm loving it... TOTALLY comfortable.  I'm always either in aero or drops...  I NEVER ride "up" on my bars.

2012-07-18 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson,AZ,USA,Earth,Orion Arm,Milky Way Galaxy
I've got 'em on my road, tri (duh), and mountain bike, which I often use to commute to work.  If I'm on the road or a flat section of dirt, they're great. 
2012-07-19 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4317810

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
AtlantaBill - 2012-07-18 10:36 AM

PanicTour - 2012-07-17 1:40 PM Roadie with clip-ons is the only bike i have.  I've done everything from a sprint to HIM...great set-up if you are on a budget.

+1

Rest your arms, gain 1-2 mph, use less watts.  Once you get comfortable, it's easier to eat while riding in aero position, you have both hands close together, near your mouth, and if you mount a bottle and straw you have hands free hydration.

My bike fit included slightly lowering my seat, which I didn't think I needed, but in the aero position, I'm bent lower and my hamstrings are pulled straighter.  So lowering was the right thing.  My expert bike fitter showed me pictures.  Before lowering seat, I was reaching down and pedaling through the bottom of the stroke with ankle extension, "dipping my toe in the water".  After lowering, I have a lower heel, more power through the bottom, and no tight hamstrings.  Clip-on aero bars ~$100.  Bike fit ~$150 and worth every penny.  

Riding in aero on a road bike is more "squirrelly" than on a tri bike, but you get smoother with practice.  I'm now completely comfortable with it.  I frequently power pedal around corners staying on the aero bars.  It can be done.  Practice, practice.

There is a thread on page one, HOW DO YOU KNOW IF SEAT IS TOO HIGH where I'm asking about this very issue regarding aeros on road bike. Can you check tose pics of me in that thread? I think I'm dipping toe in water?!
2012-07-19 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4317810

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
AtlantaBill - 2012-07-18 10:36 AM

+1

Look at my position. Seat too high??http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg548/ztaylorlaw/
2012-07-19 9:18 PM

New user

Miami
Hi there, I also had aerobars on my road bike, and I loved riding in the aero position. It made riding on my tri bike touch more easier.Good luck!

2012-07-19 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Like many, I raced my first season on a road bike with aerobars; at first I tried to make the bike as close to a tribike as possible but soon found I had a bike that was uncomfortable and unstable. So, I went back to the drawing board and setup the bike so that I was in a powerful road position and then adjusted my aerobars so that I could use them while still having the hoods and drops where I wanted them.

I now rarely have aerobars on my road bike (unless I'm doing lots of riding with my junior athletes as prep for draft legal racing) but when I do, they are shorty ITU style bars (don't extend past the brake hoods) and I don't change anything with my position. The aerobars are an additional position on my road bike, unlike my tribike where they are the primary position.

Generally when I work with athletes who are adding aerobars to a road bike, we get them setup in a powerful road position and see if we can add aerobars to supplement not replace the other positions. While there are many who have success with making a road bike into a pseudo tribike, I rarely recommend someone go down this route, especially if they have a good road position.

Shane
2012-07-19 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4321205

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

gsmacleod - 2012-07-19 10:21 PM Like many, I raced my first season on a road bike with aerobars; at first I tried to make the bike as close to a tribike as possible but soon found I had a bike that was uncomfortable and unstable. So, I went back to the drawing board and setup the bike so that I was in a powerful road position and then adjusted my aerobars so that I could use them while still having the hoods and drops where I wanted them. I now rarely have aerobars on my road bike (unless I'm doing lots of riding with my junior athletes as prep for draft legal racing) but when I do, they are shorty ITU style bars (don't extend past the brake hoods) and I don't change anything with my position. The aerobars are an additional position on my road bike, unlike my tribike where they are the primary position. Generally when I work with athletes who are adding aerobars to a road bike, we get them setup in a powerful road position and see if we can add aerobars to supplement not replace the other positions. While there are many who have success with making a road bike into a pseudo tribike, I rarely recommend someone go down this route, especially if they have a good road position. Shane

Now that, there, is value for money.

2012-07-19 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4321205

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

gsmacleod - 2012-07-19 10:21 PM Like many, I raced my first season on a road bike with aerobars; at first I tried to make the bike as close to a tribike as possible but soon found I had a bike that was uncomfortable and unstable. So, I went back to the drawing board and setup the bike so that I was in a powerful road position and then adjusted my aerobars so that I could use them while still having the hoods and drops where I wanted them. I now rarely have aerobars on my road bike (unless I'm doing lots of riding with my junior athletes as prep for draft legal racing) but when I do, they are shorty ITU style bars (don't extend past the brake hoods) and I don't change anything with my position. The aerobars are an additional position on my road bike, unlike my tribike where they are the primary position. Generally when I work with athletes who are adding aerobars to a road bike, we get them setup in a powerful road position and see if we can add aerobars to supplement not replace the other positions. While there are many who have success with making a road bike into a pseudo tribike, I rarely recommend someone go down this route, especially if they have a good road position. Shane

Thanks for the suggestion!

2012-07-19 10:33 PM

Just bought some recently and installed on my road bike.  I feel faster, but I need to do some measuring to check it out.  A new tribike is just not in the budget right now.
2012-07-20 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4316205

User image

Veteran
Clemson
taylorz13 - 2012-07-17 2:39 PM

Lots of folks do this. I have recently and it has really improved my speed and comfort.  Get fit at you LBS and they can help put them on, check angles etc. I have a Felt 95 road. Put Profile Design aeros on, moved saddle forward slightly and for me, slight tilt down- in other words, moving forward some. Had it fit and can comfortably get down in aeors (been practicing this on trainer) and have gotten comfortable. I also notice working different muscles in aero. I feel like i have more power in aero.  Again, in perfect world, we'd all get 5K versions of both kinds of bikes, but for now, this is very workable solution.

x2

I like the clip-ons and look forward to getting a tri bike in a year or two. Definitely gives me a better bike to run transition. Not sure how much better time I get though. When researching this topic this spring I found an article that went through time trial times at the TdF and you really didn't see much difference in times until they came out with the geometry we currently have today, sitting forward and aero on a road bike gives you a slight time advantage but it seems an aero helmet will help more if you are just going for faster times. Sorry I can't find that article again.

2012-07-20 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've got a set of Profile Design Carbon Strykes on my Cannondale road bike.  I like the Carbon Strykes because of their adjustability, particularly the length.  I worked with the fitter at my LBS on a compromise set-up that would work either riding on the aerobars or the brake hoods.  My position is a bit more upright than a pure tri bike, but that's also due to issues with my 59 year old physique.  I ride on the aerobars 90% of the time, but also like the option to ride on the hoods or the drops, particuluarly on long rides.

Looks like this:

Mark

2012-07-20 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4315987

Veteran
timf79 - 2012-07-17 1:21 PM

When riding on the trainer it is super nice to lay down on the bars and keep your hand free to play video games!

This ^^^^ LOL

I dont do many and have taken them off since my IM but will throw them back on for winter training just because of the above

2012-07-20 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone Have Aero Bars on Their Road Bike? Rss Feed  

of 2