General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 11m 19s
Overall Rank = 10/174
Age Group = 35-9
Age Group Rank = 1/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30, left the house about 6, had about 2 cups of coffee and a mini-bagel. Arrived around 6:30. Went to sign-in, then got stuff out of car (most efficient).
Event warmup:

quick ride to test brakes and gears, light stretching of back and hamstrings and then some "swim-strides" - a couple of 10 stroke or so swims to get adjusted/comfortable with goggles/cap/wetsuit
Swim
  • 22m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

shouldn't have been wetsuit legal, but they make the call not me. Used new goggles, started to leak a little right at the start, but once I cleared them they were fine. Struggled to stay oriented after the first turn buoy, but once I got to the turnaround I got settled with better form and sighting about every 10-15 stroke. Really got comfortable on second lap.
What would you do differently?:

1. Don't use new goggles for the first time at a race.
2. Try to settle my sighting and breathing more quickly after the first turn.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

wetsuit got stuck on calves, couldn't do the usual step and pull. kept composure and just worked it off. glad i practiced getting the new helmet on, as that went just fine. had to take a few extra steps to get up to speed to hop on bike, but did good to wait to hop on until after line.

not sure...body glide on ankles may have helped, but it felt just too tight around the calf, not the ankle. May experiment with more vertical crank position to get a decent starting rotaion.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 44s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.15 mile/hr
Comments:

didn't like the course, rough roads. Too much traffic in spots and cars were messing up pacing. They were getting behind bikes going slow and not passing them. Leaving the faster riders kind of stuck. I rode a good time at an appropriate effort level.

Pre-ride the course to get a better feel for corners and hills. I would better be able to gauge effort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

did better with getting shoes on, changing the insoles definitely did the trick. They were a bit tight and a little hard to get on, but way better than previous 2 attempts.

still too much screwing around. Pre-visualize - so I get away faster. Will drill holes in new insoles to let water out and maybe get them thinner.
Run
  • 44m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

How in the world did 44.5 minutes end up being fastest in age group? Felt strong most of the race with a screw-up at start of 2nd lap that cost me about 30 seconds, took a wrong turn towards finish instead of going to the turn around, slowed and retraced steps. Ran confidently and comfortably on the 2nd lap. Felt good coming in.

1. Pay attention, I was just following the guy in front of me, and I knew which way to turn,but I was on autopilot.
2. Suffer. I didn't burn all my matches on the way in. Mile 5 I could have gone harder, but felt like I needed to hold some back so I didn't blow a gasket.
Post race
Warm down:

ran another loop of the run course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was mostly mental. Too much second-guessing myself, looking around transition to make sure I did everything, slowing down because I'm not sure whether I'll have enough at the end, sighting a bunch at the start of the swim. Run fitness needs to be a bit better too. It is better than last year, but it is currently my biggest limiter.

Event comments:

1) Could have had a better bike course, last year was on better roads & less traffic - but some people missed turns. Also, found out later that the Park forced the last minute bike course change - they wouldn't open the maintenance gate.
2) Warm water at finish and pay for soft drinks - that sucks
3) awful food tent already picked over for those that do the longer event - although I couldn't have choked down much with the warm water.
4) directing cars to parking by going down a road with low hanging branches, when people have bikes on top of the car = brilliant
5) surprised so few people used the outdoor shower to cool off after the race...one of the perks of the site.
6) water is murky enough you can't see your own hand, but that is CC for you.
7) good crowd with good competition, and mostly well mannered and safe.

Last updated: 2012-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 31/174
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: trapezoid is the best description I've seen - 2 laps.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:44 | 24.85 miles | 24.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 10/174
145 bpm, course was actually 23.99
Wind: Little
Course: head out of park, make a right onto 73, left onto Clarksville Rd. left onto Oregonia, and left back onto 73 then repeat w/o going back into park until end of 2nd lap.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:44:29 | 06.21 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 18/174
avg. hr 159
Course: 2 lap out and back on mostly gravel path
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2012-07-17 1:28 PM

User image

New user

Dayton
Subject: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-07-18 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4316170

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course
Tremendous bike - I am with you in the post race deficiencies that HFP needs to address
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed