Musselman Triathlon
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 57m 30s
Overall Rank = 709/830
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 46/55
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am. Had bagel with PB, a banana, and some caffeinated Crystal Lite drink for breakfast. Got ready and left hotel right around 5am. Saw several bolts of lightning while driving to the park. Got parked, body marked, and set up transition. Bummed a Walmart bag off of Kwadjo so I had a dry place for my running stuff. I was thinking about heat not rain when I packed! Talked to Ericka and an official about the wetsuit. Decided to go with whatever the official call was - I was worried about being too hot in the wetsuit.
Event warmup:

None other than walking back to the car to stash the wetsuit. Briefly, waded out into the lake, but didn't have time to get deep enough to swim.
Swim
  • 50m 21s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ugh!! I knew this would happen. I got maybe 200 yds in and had my usual, "Oh my God, what am I doing moment". I had worn my booties even though I didn't have the wetsuit on and ended up losing one at this point. I did end up hanging on to a kayak just for a second and gave the very nice volunteer in the kayak my other bootie. I was absolutely fine after that though my sighting was abysmal. Apparently I was having such a good time in the water that I wanted to go further than everybody else! I was tight to the buoy at the first turn, but must have drifted after that.

Then, about 100-200 yds from the boat launch I got swum over and when I pulled up, my right calf cramped. I had to roll over and rub it to get it to release. I had a funny sort of kick for the last little bit and hobbled up the ramp and back to the mat. I suspect that I lost more time in that incident than the kayak hanging incident.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear booties without wetsuit and do a swim warm-up. I do not regret leaving the wetsuit behind as I am comfortable without it (the freak out moment would have happened with or without it). At the end of the day, my wetsuit was the only thing that was dry!!

I suppose I really should do more OWS. I knew the freak out moment would happen, but I was hoping that the confidence I had built from Swim for Life (1.4 mile ocean swim in 63ยบ choppy water) would allow me to more quickly unfreak out. Frustrating because I really am not a bad swimmer, but I was pretty close to last in both my age group and my wave!
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

I wasn't particularly rushed. I sat down to towel off my feet and put on socks/shoes. Drank some Powerade and then headed out.

In hindsight, probably didn't need socks with all the rain! Not forget to put towel in plastic bag with running stuff.
Bike
  • 3h 29m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I optimistically thought the weather was clearing up as I left the park. Wrong! All was fine up 96A and across the back road to 414. I did drop my water bottle once and had to stop quickly to pick it up. 414 had beautiful new pavement. However, once I was turned back to the north, the sky was purple/black and there was lightning in the distance. I kept thinking "I hope that slides north". Well if it slid, it slid right into us. It absolutely poured - like sting your face poured complete with lightning and thunder. I thought I was going to get my due after telling all those people who said I was going to get attacked by a shark at the Cape that I was more likely to get hit by lightning! The volunteers were saints standing out there in that. I kept saying to people who passed me that I thought we were done with the swim. I suspect I could've been a smidge faster if I hadn't been worried about potholes under puddles and descending in all that water. Hey but at least it wasn't cold!

The descent down to Sampson State Park was fun and a much welcomed little break. I didn't think the park was a bad as some people and I liked that the gates were open so we didn't have to squeeze around them.

I ate 2 Honey Stinger Waffles, a power bar, and a pack of shot blocks. I drank a full container of Gatorade and then just water as I felt like it.

Overall, I was pretty happy with the bike especially given the conditions. If I did this again, more bike training would obviously help.
Transition 2
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

I tried to run (well jog) through transition but my toes weren't happy about running in wet bike shoes, so I just walked. Luckily, my running shoes/socks were still dry inside the Walmart bag. My towel was not. Sat down to switch shoes. Took one more swig of Powerade and headed out.

Not much - hurry more?
Run
  • 2h 30m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, that was interesting... Ran with no watch so I have no idea what my splits were. Stopped in porta potty at first aid station. Felt faster after that! Didn't take anything at the aid stations until I was up the hill and running along 14. Did just water and took a sponge to wipe my face off at each one. Was carrying 3 gels, but only ate 2 - one at ~ mile 5 and one at ~mile 10. I could tell my feet were blistering, but other than that didn't really feel terrible - perhaps because I wasn't moving very fast! Ran to the aid station on the big hill and then walked the rest of the way up. Pretty much walked most aid stations, but not much other than that. Stuffed my sunglasses in the pocket of my tri-top at ~mile 8 because it did not appear that I was going to need them! Really glad it was overcast/rainy on the run because it looked like it would've been pretty miserable if the sun had been out. I did not like the so-called "path" that came down by the mural - too steep and rocky for that point in the day! By the end I was in marathon mode - just keep moving, don't stop because it will hurt too much to start again. It seemed like a LONG way from the 13 mile marker to the finish line.

Perhaps figure out how to wear Garmin next time.

Try some HEED since it apparently "Tastes Like Success!" :)
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, water bottle, and a piece of watermelon. Staggered around (on my blistered feet). Wanted something salty, like some pretzels but couldn't find any (other than in the stand where they were selling them). Tried to get a massage but they weren't taking any more names. Finally staggered to food line. Got what looked really good (pulled pork silders, potato salad, and some sort of fruit salad), but only ended up eating a few pieces of pineapple out of the fruit salad. Got a yogurt instead. Found Sharon and Bruce and watched Bruce and the other Rogues collect their prizes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. I really didn't train as much as I should have for this. There were a lot of weekends away with no bike access. I did as much as I could and ran a lot, but if I do this again, I will follow a plan more closely.

Event comments:

Even though I was slow and the weather was challenging, I enjoyed the weekend. I had fun helping out at the run aid station on Saturday. The race is well run and I enjoyed the course. However, I think maybe next year, I'll stick to the sprint and volunteer at the full.

Last updated: 2012-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:21 | 2112 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 53/55
Overall: 753/830
Performance: Below average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Starts from the park beach, counter clockwise rectangle to canal. Last 750m is through canal back to boat launch.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:29:59 | 56 miles | 16.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 726/55
Overall: 47/830
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling, single-loop bike course: Out 96A from park, cuts over to 414, back over to Cayuga Lake, along 89 to biggest climb up Swick Rd., back around to 414 through Ovid down hill to Sampson State Park, back East Lake Road to 96A to park
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:30:04 | 13.1 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/55
Overall: 658/830
Performance: Average
Course: Along lake front (flat) then climbs up to 14. Rolling loop through countryside with one big hill around mile 7. Comes back down to lake front and retraces its path back to the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-17 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2012-07-17 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4316508

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Great race under the conditions! The bike and run courses are challenging when the weather is nice! Congrats!
2012-07-17 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
I am really so impressed with your efforts at this race!!  Even though you felt like you could have trained more, you finished a HIM!!  Woohoo!!  That is no small feat!  Congratulations!!
2012-07-18 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

You rock.  Thanks for all the help Saturday. 

It was like two swims for sure.  It taste like success becasue you need to get home and brush you teeth.

Congrates ona great job!!!

2012-07-18 2:56 PM

I was volunteering at one of the bike corners (the one you pass twice) and I was amazed that everyone just kept going when the storm was coming in. Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed