66F / 19C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 31m 18s
Overall Rank = 296/1017
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 28/74
Pre-race routine:

To bed at 10:00p
Up at 1:30 and ate about 1000 cals (bananas, protein shake, yogurt, bonk bar).
Up at 4:30 and drank a cup of coffee and glass of gatorade.
Set up staging area at 6:00
Event warmup:

Nothing
Swim
  • 29m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

As my first 70.3 and only second Tri, I felt really good during the swim. It is my strongest event, as you can tell by how slow my bike and run splits are and that helped me stay relaxed. I was surprised I came out of the water first though since there were some great athletes in my age group. I saw a few next to me periodically and assumed they had pulled away by the end.
Water was clear and waves were pretty small, so breathing was not a problem.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I can think of.
Transition 1
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

I really took a lot of time getting out of my wetsuit and getting my shoes on. I have not yet converted to clipless, so was putting on my running socks and shoes. Just moved too slowly

Practice peeling off wetsuit more quickly.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good about the bike portion, although after looking at the other competitors times, I should have trained more on hills. Was happy that my back didn't hurt with the aero bars. I think the hills may have helped a bit in that respect due to getting out of aero position for hill climbs.

Get clipless set up.
Train more on hills.
May have drank too much liquid during the bike because I had to use the portapot once during the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Great transition time mostly because I was already in my running gear. Also racked my bike handle bars in which went very quickly. I didn't see anyone else doing this, so maybe it's not allowed, but it saved some time.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 56m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

First off, I'm a really slow runner. I just started running a year ago and am just slow and heavy on my feet. Overall though I was fairly happy with my run. I expected about 9:00/mi and did better than that plus I improved my splits for the second half of the run compared to the first half. I ended up taking a cup of the sports drink every other station and that seemed to keep me well hydrated. As mentioned I had to use the portapot about 2 miles in, which helped with distress and the break seemed to get my legs a bit re-energized.

Work on my speed for running. Don't know what I'll do, but will try to find something.
Work on brick training more. My feet and legs were dead coming off the bike and it took 4 to 5 miles to get into a good running rhythm.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around some. Drank some water. Stretched out my calfs and hammys.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of enough Bike hill training.
Not enough Brick training.
Just too slow at running.

Event comments:

I thought all the volunteers before and during the race did a great job. Thanks to all of them.
Only thing I would like to see changed is some of the hard turns after downhills on the bike course. I heard several racers crashed due to wet roads and those sharp turns which is unfortunate.

Last updated: 2012-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/74
Overall: 97/1017
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Fusion
Course: Out and back course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:53
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:00:07 | 56 miles | 18.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/74
Overall: 253/1017
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A lot of hills, both little and pretty big. Felt like almost no flat spots. Other than a few very sharp turns at bottom of hills, the route was a good one.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 75
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:56:33 | 13.1 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/74
Overall: 296/1017
Performance: Average
First split: 9:07/mi Second split: 8:41/mi
Course: Double loop through town. Two small hills equating to 6 uphills and 6 down. Nice portion along the lake. Nice to funnel through town 5 times to hear and see the well wishers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-07-17 7:45 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens

2012-07-18 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4316936

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens
Great race! Killer swim split. And I'd love to be a really slow runner like you! Congrats on your finish.
2012-07-19 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4317805

User image

Thanks for the kind words. I'm definitely hooked on Triathlons after this one and look at it as having plenty of things to improve on.

2012-09-02 9:50 PM

User image

Regular

Hey I will take your swim time any day of the week.  You didn't do too bad either on the bike considering you don't clip in and it sounds like you haven't used aero bars all that much either.  

I guess yes you could concentrate on running more and cut back on the swimming .  

Good job for your second tri. This was my 3rd tri. 1st was sprint second was Boise 70.3 well scratch that 29 and change this year due to bad weather.  

I don't practice taking my suit off too much because I don't want to destroy it but I do use a lot of suitjuice on the inside of my suit and when you are getting out of the water pull on the neck of it to allow water in to loosen the suction it has.  I also work on getting my arms out while running to the bike and then when I get to the bike, I just stand on each of the legs to get the suit off the rest of the way. I also make sure that my chip is inside the suit as it will hang on that otherwise. 

Good job though.  

2012-09-02 10:21 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: ---
Removed, posted in wrong topic

Edited by Jonathan7 2012-09-02 10:27 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens Rss Feed