Þrir
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 43s
Overall Rank = 2/20
Age Group = no
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

T-20h. Sitting at my computer at work getting more and more nervous about tomorrow.
Going over the race in my head while I pretend to be working, and searching BT for last minutes tips.
T-14h. Going for a bike ride, just to losen up the legs. At some point I realized that this was actually the first time on my bike in a week, and that my legs felt a bit tired, I did not like that. I could not get a nice rhythm going, and the speed was not really there either. :( When I got home I was amassed to see that I had done 18k, that was a bit much......too much????
T-10h. In bed wondering why I am so nervous, I am in good form, I will do good, why oh why can I not settle down.
T-2h. Light breakfast, while trying to wake up. Bags are packing, bike is in the car. It is time to go.

Event warmup:

I was one of the first ones there; they had only just started setting up the transition area. I liked that; I like to have a bit of time to get ready, without being stressed. I went for an easy 5k bike ride, just spinning the legs, they did not feel perfect but I just ignored it, it was too late to do anything about it now. I return to the transition area, and now almost everybody was there setting up.
Then I got the news one of the favorites where out sick. That would change a lot. He was this very good swimmer, who would have gotten a lead of maybe 6 minutes after the swim, and then he would have been very, very hard to catch, actually I have never beating him :( The other favorite was a guy from the Faeroe Islands, his specialty, time trail, so I knew if I wanted to finish on top, I would have to finish the swim ahead of him and then just hang on, when he would come blasting by.
I got my transition set up, and then it was time.

Swim
  • 24m 7s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was actually scaring me more then the run today, because we where going to be 5 people in the lane, and in a 25m pool that means it would be crowded, when I swim I normally have a lane for myself so I did not really know what to expect.
We had a little talk in the lane and decided to let the fastest start first. That was good, because I would get to start first :)
Then the shot sounds, I do the first 2 laps a little faster then normally to open a gap, I then settle in to a nice rhythm and starts to concentrate on my technique and pace. Probably around 400m the girl behind me hits my foot a couple of time to indicate that she ones to overtake, I was a little surprised but I let her pass at the next turn.
Drafting in the pool ! I had heard about it, never tried it, was not sure how to position myself to get the most out of it. But boy dose it work, I drafted and it was easy, I was so relaxed, my heart rate went down, I could look over at the other lanes to see how they where doing. At the turn I could look up to see how many laps were left. It was really, really nice. I was feeling so good that I was starting to think about passing the women. It was that easy. Then with 400m to go, she stopped and let me pass. I guess I would have to do some of the work now. It was hard! Coming from this easy rhythm, to being the lead person. At this point we had already lapped everybody ones and where just about to lap them again. I have to say, overtaking 3 people drafting each other is not that easy, and there where some contact, but we did get by.
The all of the sudden 2 laps to go, I could not believe how easy it had gone, I automatically increased the speed, like I always do I training at the end of an interval. 25m later I thought, what the h… are you doing????? It is not worth it, bringing the plus up 20 beats just to finish 5 seconds faster, what was I thinking. So I eased it down to cruising speed for the remaining distance. I think that was a very good choice, keep it under control, pace yourself. And then it was over.

What would you do differently?:

Do more flip turns and learn to swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

From the pool it was like a 50m run to the transition area.
I quickly dried off, put on a long sleeved shirt and my bike jersey at the same time, had a bit of problems but I expected that, and the 2 times I training T1 in the pool earlier in the week really helped. I did not panic, just take the extra couple of seconds, it is better then to get the clothes on right, then having the trouble on the bike. As I was putting on my shirts I saw the favorite take his bike with the Zipp disk wheels and run out. Damn there was no way I would be able to catch him. I got my pants on, got into my shoes, got my helmet on and ran out of the transition area, jump on the bike and off I was in second place.

Getting a tri-suit should save me some time, rest was good.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 48s
  • 40 kms
  • 35.40 km/hr
Comments:

I have read that you are suppose to keep your cadence high for the first km, well I did, 90-100 In the beginning it was a bit hard to stay so high, but I quickly got use to it. I have also read that Armstrong keeps it over a 100, he can do that because he is good. So I thought, if he can do it, I can TRY to do it :-) So instead of easing the cadence down I just kept going.
At the first turn around after 2,5k I was 2 minutes after the leader and had 1 1/2min to the next guy. This was the only point on the lap where you would get a chance to see how your where placed. I felt good, the weather was the best it had been, well since last summer actually, and no wind, the conditions where just perfect. Before I realized it, I was on the second lap, and there was the leader coming towards me, a lot earlier then the first lap. I know I was not going to catch him, but was there any reason for him to go so fast ? I don’t think so; of course he probably had another opinion !
As I turned around I got the time; just over 4 minutes behind.
Good news, I had increased my lead over the 3rd place.
Bad news, the 3rd-placed guy was no longer alone, it was now a group of 4, and they looked to be working well together. I actually thought to myself at that point, if only I would have swam a bit slower, I could have been in that group, letting somebody else do some of the work. But then I thought I am in front of them for a reason, and they will have to work to catch me, and then I pushed a little bit harder. At the end of lap 2 I had a power-bar, this was the first time I have tried eating one of those things at race pace, and I did not find it very easy, it was actually very hard. Half way through it I had to stop chewing because I was not getting enough air, and my pulse had jumped up 20 beats or so, I was actually fighting to get my pulse and breathing under control.
Lesson learned eat smaller bits !

Bang, the leader passed me one other side, damn he had a very good lead now. I was not into my 3rd lap and I felt fine, (after having gotten my pulse down from the power-bar incident). I was doing my pace, I was going faster then I could ever have hoped for, and I was much more relaxed then I thought I would be.
At the turn I got the split time, 6 minutes to the leader. Well he was not my biggest concern at that point. All that mattered was how fare I was ahead of the next group.
Oh yes, I meet them at exactly the same point as the lap before. Then I knew they where not going to catch me. I mentally was able to relax a bit, and everything seam to go a bit easier and more controlled.
At this point the sprint-distance triathlon had finished the swim, so everybody was on the bike now. It was so nice to see, and most of all overtake somebody.
Then I saw my wife coming powering towards me on her MTB, she looked good, just a quick wave and she was gone.
Last lap, I was so enjoying this, I did not care I was out there on my own, I felt I could keep rolling for days. The time had past by so fast. I knew I was going faster and faster, every lap had been faster then the one before, and it was not hard, I was still in complete control.
The turn around point for the last time, at this point I was not even worried about the chasing pack, I know they could only have gain a little on me, so I was not worried.
When I meet them, I could not help smiling, I had increased my lead with 20 seconds :-) Oh yes, I don’t think they liked that.
The first time I felt my legs getting a little tired was after 36-37k, I had paced this perfect.

Nothing, it went perfect
Transition 2
  • 00m 17s
Comments:

Coming in to T2, I had already taken my feet out of the shoes, so it was just to run in, put the bike down. Put on my running shoes (which I had just put new elastic laces on) helmet off.
And BANG 17 seconds later I was out of there, oh yes PERFECT.

I guess the one evening this week, where I only did T2, paid of.

NOTHING :)
Run
  • 42m 25s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 14s  min/km
Comments:

Uh, this was the part I was not looking forward to. For me 10k is a long run, actually it is a very long run. But I knew what I had to do, so I settle in to my pace, trying to bring my legs out of “bike mode”, I don’t think they really got it.
2/3 around the first lap I had slow down to a walk, I could feel some cramps building up, and I just wanted to catch it early. Of course this is the point where my wife comes by, she yells at me to get moving. Well I ALWAYS listen to my wife:) so on I went.
When I finished my first lap, somebody was just starting his first, so for the first time since the swim was I not alone:-) It was nice to have somebody there, and he was running just a little bit faster then I would have, had I been alone, lucky me.
I kept with him for almost the entire lap, but then my legs cramped up again, and I had to stop, I could not even walk, I just had to stand there, until I could slowly start moving again. I don’t like cramps :( But it did give me a bit of rest, so when I started running again, my pulse was down, and I felt in control. Last lap just seam to glid by, I was almost there, just keep going. Then with 500m when I was crusing along where nicely, when I thought, what are you doing ??? This is a race and you can run faster then this, so pick it up. So the last 500m where just one long sprint to the finish.
Of course when I crosed the line I was completely out of breth, but it was only because of the last sprint. I was tired my legs where tired, but I still felt so energies, all my training had paided of, I had done very well, I deserved the 2nd place.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, then went in the pool and sat in the Jacuzzi for an hour or so.
Then went home and had a cold beer :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Very simple training

Event comments:

I would really have liked to win it, I can not tell you how many times I have come second in something.
But on the day there was no question about it, the better man won.
This is a very small race, well actually I think this was the biggest triathlon ever in Iceland, 20 people took part on the Olympic distance and 13 on the half. But it is a start and I only hope the sport will get bigger here. I mean don’t we just love it? Is that not why we are doing it. Ok I have to go get ready for next weekends MTB race.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:07 | 1500 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2/20
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo
Course: 25m pool, 5 people pr. lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 28C / 82F Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:48 | 40 kms | 35.40 km/hr
Overall: 3/20
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: 4 laps, flat. First part is out and back, here you can see how far you are a head/behind. Last part is a big ring along the coast back to the pool.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:25 | 10 kms | 04m 14s  min/km
Overall: 6/20
Performance: Average
Course: 3 laps
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-08 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: The Reykjavik Olympic triathlon

2006-06-09 3:28 AM
in reply to: #447500

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: The Reykjavik Olympic triathlon

Pictures 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=2584

2006-06-09 7:52 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Great race report, thanks for sharing it.  You are very fast, congratulations on second place!  I'm curious how far behind you the 3rd place guy finished?  Was that pack catching up to you on the run?  Good job putting them back on the bike.  Over here you would have crushed those guys on the bike because they would not have been able to work together to try to catch you.  Sounds like even though you didn't have a lot of competitors there are some pretty serious triathletes there.  Even with your stops on the run you are still a fast runner and fast overall.  Nice job.

2006-06-09 8:27 AM
in reply to: #448482

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Thank you.

I finished 3 minutes ahead of the 3rd placed guy.

His run time was a minute faster then mine, but I was a minute faster in T2. So nothing changed from the end of the bike till end of run.

The winner had the best time in the swim, on the bike and on the run. Respect !

2006-06-09 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

Great job !!!I am very proud of you

Edited by Joblin 2006-06-09 11:39 AM
2006-06-09 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
You had a great training plan that you followed through to get you that second place finish. You crushed the bike and your run was great considering the stops. You hit your target time and you will only get faster and strong as you continue training. I hope triathlons catch on in Iceland!

2006-06-09 6:01 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
That was a truly great race and one of the best race reports I have read in a long time. I felt like I was racing beside you. Congrats on your great race and 2nd place. I expect you will be winning first place very soon.

2006-06-11 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

WOW Torben...TERRIFIC RACE!!!!  Congrats on 2nd place!!!  I absolutely enjoyed your race report.  I also felt like I was "there".  You have much to be proud of!  You are incredibly fast!  And, way to go on T2...17 s-e-c-o-n-d-s?!?  Excellent!  It was a good day for you!  Take care!

2006-06-17 8:31 PM

Champion
South Jersey
Great race report. I love your race reports - you make us feel like we're right there with you. You did an awesome job, and way to be persisent with your run. It really is a bummer when cramps hit you, but you did great.

That's really cool that your wife does triathlons with you. Was this her first? I do hope the sport starts to grow in Iceland. You should really try to make it to the States for a race. My next race (the Oly) has over 2000 participants...you'd probably get a kick out of racing in something that size. We can't draft here, though.

Can't wait to read your next race report. And congrats on the second-place finish!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Reykjavik Olympic triathlon Rss Feed