General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with my post IM training problem Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-18 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: Help with my post IM training problem

So unlike some of you crazies, I am not doing another Ironman after my first at IMCDA, but I do have an Olympic tri in August and am looking towards the Philly Marathon in late Nov.  I've just recently gotten back to swim and bike this last week which feel GREAT, but my running is problematic.

During last year and IM training I ran most of my z2 runs at an avg HR of 146-153 in the 8:30-8:50 min/mi range.  My runs since IM have all been at a plus 9min/mi pace and I can't hit that 146-153 HR avg unless I'm running close to 10min/mi or just a shade under.  I feel sluggish (well I am sluggish) and i can't keep that HR down.  Am i just still cooked from IM or:

- I've put on 6-7lbs since IM, I'm not sticking to any sort of diet like i did during training, but I'm not eating bad either.

-Alcohol.  I stopped drinking anything during IM training.  Now having a beer/glass of wine/cocktail with dinner on occasion.

- Its really hot and humid in philly and i do most of my runs during the day (however I still struggle with the same problems indoors on the treadmill. see today's run)

-I'm playing some basketball and doing yoga each once a week and I do find they work different muscles and I'm generally sore afterwards.

Thoughts? Recommendations? My logs are all up to date. I'm worried that I'm just not recovered from IM and that I need to take more time off.

2012-07-18 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4317910

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Subject: RE: Help with my post IM training problem

I think you still need some time to recover, and the heat is also playing a factor.

Last year after my first IM, I did the Boulder Peak Oly about 6 weeks after IMTX.  I *thought* I was recovered but my bike ride said otherwise.  Almost immediately my legs were dead, to the point where I was wondering if I had left them at home.  I did another oly at the end of August (about 3 months after IMTX) and I felt rockstar awesome.  Probably because I was fully recovered.

You may feel fine when you're kicking around or doing easy workouts, but if you're still having issues with intensity, you probably just need more recovery time.

2012-07-18 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Congrats on finishing Ironman.  Sounds like you still need a break from at least running.  Keep doing your yoga, have a glass of wine with dinner, and play basketball, which I think is a great way to maintain fitness over the winter.  Just watch your ankles.  Running in a straight line all the time really doesn't strengthen the lateral strength of your ankles.  Enjoy your time away from training and SBR will start creeping back in.....and before you know it...BAMB!...your registered for another Ironman....Be well
2012-07-19 6:35 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury

Same boat as you Jeremy, seems like I am slower but it is getting better I feel that's ok we are only 3 plus weeks out from that wonderful beast that was CDA

Don't push it I feel it returning slowly

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with my post IM training problem Rss Feed