General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting over fear of clipless pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-18 11:55 AM

User image

Ft. Myers, FL
Subject: getting over fear of clipless pedals

So I bought my first pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals. I have Tri Fly shoes with SPD cleats, which is probably weird, but I share my bike with my husband for now and we got a dual platform SPD pedal so that he can ride without cycling shoes.

I did my first practice with them this morning. Spent a few minutes practicing clipping in and out before I even started moving. Then I set put to just go slowly down the street and practice stopping. First try- I unclipped my right shoe to set that down on the ground. Success! Unfortunately the act of unclipping apparently sent me leaning over to the left, and that shoe was still clipped in. My first experience of finding myself falling over and not being able to do a darn thing about it. Luckily, my panicked left foot freed itself from the pedal. I got the multirelease cleats so I think I have them to thank. I did this a second time (right foot out, bike leaned to left, falling, panicked yanking of left foot out of pedal).

I then decided it would be best to plan to take both feet out at the same time. That worked for me a few times. But I am still really nervous about riding with these things. Will I just get more used to it as I go? Any tips for ways to get better? Also, are any types of cleats/pedals easier to get in or out of? I'm a total bike n00b so I'm still figuring this out. 

I was thinking of using my new shoes/cleats on my weekly commute to work tomorrow, but I think I'm gonna wait on that. I'm not sure I'm ready to leave the neighborhood yet and fall on a busy street corner.

2012-07-18 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4318093

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: getting over fear of clipless pedals
Is there a big field you can practice on? Grass is much more forgiving for learning.
2012-07-18 11:58 AM

User image

Do you have a trainer? Might be a good time to get one if you do not

2012-07-18 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

You should be able to clip out either foot without leaning or changing direction.  You might try practicing with one bike shoe and one sneaker until you've got that down.

2012-07-18 12:06 PM

User image

Chicago

You'll get used to it...and yeah I'd wait on the commute until you're more comfortable.

Just keep taking them out on safe routes and practicing like you are and it will become second nature - you'll essentially train your foot and ankle exactly how to release itself from the pedals with no issue whatsoever.

2012-07-18 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
I practiced several times riding with only one foot clipped in at a time. I would alternate about ten minutes riding with each foot and just practice clipping in and out. It seemed much easier to me that way. I also have my pedals set at the easiest tension to get out. I was told to increase it as I got more comfortable but so far have not felt the need to do that- lol.

hth,

Shelly

2012-07-18 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I'm the type of person who's always been nervous about riding, falling, have fallen hardcore, etc.  If I could get used to them, anyone can Smile  I still unclip both feet when coming to a complete stop just in case the side I *think* I'm going to lean toward turns out to be wrong!

2012-07-18 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4318369

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

There's no reason to fear clipless pedals.  The chance of a clipless pedal actually swimming near you, much less biting you - is next to nothing.  You have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning, hitting the lottery, or whatever.  Seriously, chances are you'll never even see a clipless pedal in the open ocean, much less have an encounter with one.

No need to fear them.

Wait...did I miss something?

2012-07-18 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

also, make sure the pedals are set to the lowest spring tension.

since it is double sided, you need to adjust the tension on both sides of the pedal.

You'll need an allen wrench, and rotate the adjustment screw CCW (CounterClockWise) until it stops

then 1 click CW. (Make sure the marking on the pedal is consistent with what I'm saying).

Do this for all both sides on both pedals.

As you get more confident you can tighten up the spring, but I usually just leave them on the lowest tension.

2012-07-18 1:59 PM

I was terrified and if I can do it, so can you!

I'm thinking that you're going too slow when trying to unclip so you're already trying to balance the bike going at a slow speed and then adding unclipping to that. Work up to speed and as you're slowing, then unclip.

It definitely gets easier and then eventually you don't even think about it!

2012-07-18 2:14 PM

User image

Ft. Myers, FL

I'm glad to have one less thing to worry about in the water... I'm picturing little Alice in Wonderland pedals with angry eyes and sharp teeth chasing after me at the beach now. 

I'm glad to hear that it should get more natural and that I should be able to handle it. I think the practice with one shoe at a time is probably a great idea. And I loosened the tension on the pedals one click to the left- I didn't try more but maybe there is still a looser setting.

DanielG- when you say trainer, you mean an indoor trainer not like a person right? Just checking to see how hopeless I sound. My husband suggested that it would probably be good if we got a trainer to practing clipping and unclipping, but I feel like I have to do it when I still actually have to balance the bike, cause that seems to be how I get in trouble. 

FloridaTriGirl- I think you are probably right. I was going totally slow because I was scared Now that you make me think about it, it would certainly be easier to stay balanced going faster. 

Thanks all for making me feel a little more confident that I'll make it through the learning process relatively unscathed. 

2012-07-18 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I was freaked out at first because everyone was saying how you are bound to fall over once and it takes a while to get used to.  Maybe it was my snowboarding/skiing background, but I wasn't uncomfortable with my feet being held in place (which a lot of people said worried them) nor did I find it that hard to get out.  If anything I have a slight problem getting back in because my feet are so big (size 13, 47cm shoes) that sometimes I have a hard time lining up.  I absolutely love the feeling of having my feet clipped in though compared to loose or even cages.
2012-07-18 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Practice on trainer. I fell right on sidewalk my first time in front of dozens of cars. Humiliation. (not in their path, but in their view- worse).  You get used to it. When unclipping one, be ready to lean that way and rely on the free leg to stand on, like at a stop sign etc.
2012-07-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4318488

User image

bedientes - 2012-07-18 3:14 PM

DanielG- when you say trainer, you mean an indoor trainer not like a person right? Just checking to see how hopeless I sound. My husband suggested that it would probably be good if we got a trainer to practing clipping and unclipping, but I feel like I have to do it when I still actually have to balance the bike, cause that seems to be how I get in trouble.

Well you could get rollers with a front wheel fork stand like this:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-accessories/2012-kreitler...

Then you can use the fork stand for a bit until you got comfortable enough to try it, then put your front wheel back on and clip and unclip using the rollers themselves. After you got the hang of it you would also have one hell of a leg up on being able to control the bike. Rollers tend to do that.

2012-07-18 3:34 PM

User image

I have been riding in clipless pedals since December. The first month and a half I was so nervous and cautious every time I had to stop. I would just pray for lights to turn green or avoid them all together. Then I fell right on my back right on the corner of the curb right in the middle of a very busy intersection. The experience was very painful...and of course embarassing! I stopped riding altogether for about a month.

Luckily I was training for a week long bike ride in June so I had no choice but to get back on. Still wasn't completely secure but it got easier. During that week we were required to stop at every stop sign or light, and over the course of a week there a lot of them!! Here I am today...and now it is a brainless maneuver!

So yes it will get easier. Just requires a lot practice but soon you won't even be thinking about it!!

2012-07-18 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC

This is the story of my life!

Here are some unclipping/stopping tips from someone who learned the hard way:

1. As you are preparing to stop unclip one foot (I do my left).
  2. Let your unclipped foot hang down while you have your clipped foot in the 6 o'clock position (i.e. both feet will be in the down position).
  3. Begin braking slowly.
  4. When you are almost stopped, begin leaning slightly in the direction of your unclipped foot.
  5. When you stop, hop off your seat and stand. Then, unclip your other foot.

I had a tendency to either come in too fast and slam on my brakes or I would have my clipped foot in the "up" position when I stopped. Both painful mistakes.

2012-07-18 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

H

mmm...yes, it does get better.  I finally got the pedals because I was told it would be better.  I was very afraid of them.  I learned the clip/unclip thing first on a trainer at the bike shop to get use to it.  Then at home in my yard.  I thought it was all good until I took one of my weekend rides around the lake and hit a patch of sand.  The bike lost traction, I didn't unclip fast enough, and wound up with the end of the seat bouncing off the top part of my butt as I went down.  I got up, knowing I would have huge bruises, tried to remount, and off I went again, this time with the bike hitting my leg.  After a few more tries of not getting it, I realized it must have been because I was on an incline.  So I walked up to where it was flat, mounted, and got back to riding.  It was a very painful experience.  However, I have gotten better at riding with the clipless pedals and haven't had another accident - completing 2 sprint tris without incident.   

(bruise2.jpg)

(bruise1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bruise2.jpg (24KB - 16 downloads)
bruise1.jpg (23KB - 17 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting over fear of clipless pedals Rss Feed