World Triathlon Corporation
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 44m 9s
Overall Rank = 1352/2200
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 96/166
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30:) Coffee, peanut butter on flat bread that I share with the dogs, a few sips of protein shake and took my Alegra. Typical race day morning for me.
Event warmup:

Walked down to the swim start and talked with alot of people which is always relaxing to me. Suited up and got in the water for a bit. I really enjoy watching the pros go off at this race because you can be in the water and see them so well. I know this is all they do but it's still impressive to me. Spotted my parents and Melissa and chatted a bit more. Was in wave 13 this year so it flew by and I had to line up!
Swim
  • 44m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have had many panic attacks at the start of the swims so my goal was obviously to not. It's been my goal every race but most times it happens regardless of my desires. I'm not a fast swimmer but I am confident and strong in the water so I have no idea why it happens to me. NOT today though! Walked in vs. running to the sand bar- ha, and just started like it was any other OWS,Felt good. Just tried to keep it steady and smooth. I knew I wasn't going to make or break it with that as my plan. Because of my severe right hook I stayed to the outside vs. shoving with others at the buoys. I love this race because it's such a nice straight shot that you can just swim without a ton of sighting. 44 minutes is slower than I had hoped but I came out feeling good and not tired at all... which leads me to the next box down!
What would you do differently?:

I could have pushed it a bit harder towards the end, maybe the second to last buoy. I was actually so happy that I was able to keep steady that I didn't want to mess that up and cause panic. I had a wave come over that I didn't see coming and it through me a little which is what kept me slower. I need to really figure out this panic issue, it's so stupid!
Transition 1
  • 06m 31s
Comments:

I walked the beach portion just because it's so killer and to me is a huge energy waste so early on in the day- plus I got to say hi to my parents which is worth a little extra time to me. Utilized the strippers and sunscreen lubers which helped. I really didn't feel like it was 6 minutes plus but obviously it was. I'm still unsure exactly where the timing mat is to stop the swim vs. start t1. Cyndi yelled as she passed me in transition- ya caught me!

I joke that when I have a longer transition time that I should that I was baking a cake in transition. Perhaps next year I should switch to something quicker?!
Bike
  • 3h 15m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoy this bike route even with the bumps. I would prefer to not have them but do like this route. I felt really good considering I changed my set up early this year and got my aero bars. I wasn't feel as strong on the bike so I was really pleased with my time. Now I just need a new seat so I can get some relief on my downstairs while aero!!! Cyndi was about 3 minutes behind me!
Transition 2
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

I had someone stop in front of me as we got to the dismount line. I mean STOP and he stood over his bike not moving at all. I was very concerned but a volunteer was with him but then I couldn't safely get around him. Added a tiny bit of time but not a big deal at all. Other than that I have NO idea what took me so long. I was in the center of the rack so equally far from the bike in and run out. Who knows. Maybe I stopped to frost the cake???
Run
  • 2h 34m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out feeling really good. Legs were good, wasn't too hot, all of it was good. Had decided prior to the race that walking the hills was the plan, regardless of the photographer! Ran most of it pretty slowly except through the aid stations and shade. I needed to cool off as much as possible out there. If I get overheated it will be over for me. Ice in the hat and bra is so the way to stay cool. I did this in Kansas and it saved me there too. After the first turn off of mainstreet I thought that the heat went up about 10 degrees, no breeze and just suffocating! That was the worst stretch for me all day, both times!! At the zoo on lap one Cyndi caught me and we ran the rest together which was great. Dumped the fuel belt with friends after the first lap- it was way too hot on me at that point and I couldn't take in any more blocks so it was all liquid for lap two. Other than being super hot I felt good. My legs were good and I was just trying to walk in the little bits of shade to keep from going over that heat hump and not returning. I mananged to keep it steady and come in feeling good.

Not sure I would have worn my fuel belt at all. The aid stations were very nicely place and I think I could have done without as long as they had ice. Ideally I'd like to run faster but that will come with time I hope.
Post race
Warm down:

We talked with some friends that were kind enough to stay and watch the old ladies finish! Then found my parents and Cyndi's enjoying the shade and breeze on the hill. Watched some more people cross and cheered them on as we wobbled back to transition to gather our things.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What limited my ability to perform faster... MY lack of ability to BE faster!

Event comments:

In the weeks leading up to the race you obsess about times and goals, the what if's, weather, lake temps, wind- my God like a million things to obsess about! When the day is upon you none of that matters. You will stand on the beach ready to swim whether it's cold or choppy, bike whether it's windy or hilly and run whether it's raining or steamy hot! The only thing that matters is the training and nutrition- The engine and the gas!

This years race was a wonderful experience for me from last years but also taught me alot. Last year I was in such a late wave that I was virtually alone on the bike segment and shuffled through the run with just a few others. I was so sad that I had trained so hard for this?? To be out there alone with very few people left to cheer let alone run along side you and help you keep going, camera men all gone, they were even wrapping up the ironman signs. I finished in the awful heat and thought about it for a year and how I could improve.
This year I changed age groups so I was moved up in waves significantly which was critical. I was another year into this distance of training and knew what to expect. I was stronger and more mentally prepared. This year I was PART of the race vs. being the trailer. I was in the middle of an amazing event and had a blast! There were actually other people on the road with me and the run! I know this is an individual event but having others who are crazy enough to do this race around is really helpful. Triathletes are so supportive of each other and really the nicest people you can meet. I had a great race and a wonderful time on Sunday but will never forget my first HIM and will always high five and encourage those late in the day runners who are just heading out for lap 2!
I got to cross the finish line with Cyndi which will never happen again so that tops it for me!! Cheers to my best HIM yet, yes a PR for me!

Last updated: 2012-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:38 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 101/166
Overall: 1588/2200
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: smooth and calm, gorgeous morning!!!!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:15:29 | 56 miles | 17.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 96/166
Overall: 1476/2200
Wind: Some
Course: The stretch in Raymond is always bad and just shakes the fillings in your teeth! Then the next maybe 1/4 mile where it is just almost unrecognizable as road sucks. Other than that it was great. The dips on mainstreet coming back are bad too but I was so happy to be done it was ok. Living so close we ride the West side of this route as often as possible which is a huge advantage mentally for me.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:34:02 | 13.1 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 96/166
Overall: 1354/2200
Course: Those 2 hills, though short in distance, kill ya! Otherwise it's generally flat but steamy for sure!!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-18 5:07 PM

User image

Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2012-07-18 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4318869

User image

Regular
Verona, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine
Great race Amy. It is amazing how one obsesses about these things and oh so nice when it works out!
2012-07-19 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

Amy, you rocked this race!!!!! Fantastic times on all three legs!

I had to laugh about baking comments  Your report reminded me how much I'm missing this venue, and I really look forward to racing it next year!! Are you going to do it again?

2012-07-19 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4319861

User image

Wisconsin
Thanks so much Lena!!!  Yes for sure, every year God willing.  It's close for us so we can train there and just love the route and this race director runs a great event.  Something kept you from it this year?????
2012-07-19 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4320102

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

gordon_mom - 2012-07-19 11:53 AM Thanks so much Lena!!!  Yes for sure, every year God willing.  It's close for us so we can train there and just love the route and this race director runs a great event.  Something kept you from it this year?????
Life

Racine was my first HIM last year, and I'm not sure if you saw my RR last summer, but it was quite an eventful day for me.. I was dead set on going back and having a normal half-ironman experience... but in March-April, my husband was gone for 6 solid weeks with work (mon-fri), and he rarely travels.. normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but in preparation for my little one's 3rd bday, I took a stupid pill and decided to remodel half the house (as in, tear off wallpaper and all trim, paint, mud, fixtures, etc X 10), all while being a single mom during those weeks, and my early morning and late night hours were spent mudding and painting instead of training..  so i just lost so much training time, that when I came back to surface for air, I had 8 weeks left.. and with a race of this magnitude, didn't seem wise to try to wing it on half of training time.

So I regrouped and decided on Steelhead.. but next year, I'll be back for sure!! Racine owes me a medal !

2012-07-19 4:40 PM

User image

Wisconsin

I'm glad it wasn't an injury.  You can recover from "life" much faster!  Next year then for sure.  Last year was my first too and the course killed me in the heat.  This year was much better but still pretty toasty.  I think it's a given for this weekend of the summer to always be horribly hot.  Please send me an email after Steelhead, I'd love to know what you think of it in comparison to Racine. It's a possibility for next year or the Rev3 in the Dells in August, not sure.  Good luck to you and let me know how it goes!!!!

Thanks Lena!

Amy

2012-07-20 10:46 AM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Nice race Amy.  I really loved this course this year with all the little rolling hills.  The bumps in town didn't seem as bad at miles  1-4 as they did miles 52-56 for some reason.  With the mustard I took, I figured what the heck.  I don't have much to lose, but definitely should have waited till the aid station ha ha.  I went to a couple of nutrition stores around here asking about salt sticks/salt tabs and they gave me a funny look so I'll have to order some online but they seem pretty good from what people say.  I'll have to look at a different drink mix than Heed that has more sodium and potassium.  Maybe I'm a saltier sweater than what I thought?  Hoping to make the trip again next year.  Thanks!
2012-07-20 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4321866

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-07-20 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4321866

Wisconsin
Thanks so much!  I actually thought about the mustard last night while I was running, made me laugh again.  I use the Hammer Nutrition brand endurolyte pills that are really easy on your belly.  I always worry that with too much salt you can get stomach issues and I have a pretty sensitive one but these are great.  You use heed so you know Hammer is a great source.  If you have a nearby store that carries Hammer stuff they'll likely have them too.  If you like the taste of the Perform it seems to do the salt trick.  I oder the powder on Amazon if you can believe that and one pretty good size container is only $20.  Glad to hear you will be back for Racine again-think early registration opens soon I do love this venue and glad others do too! 
2012-07-22 7:40 PM

Regular
Congratulations. Great race and report out. I particularly like your candid event comments.

Thank you for sharing this.
2012-07-23 8:58 PM

nice job! and thanks for sharing your report. This was my first HIM and i have said several times this past week that I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN. But now that i've had processing time, I suppose i'm thinking about it again. your description of last year sounds like my experience this year. Started pretty late in the waves, was kinda alone for much of the bike (i'm super slow here) and the run. The heat got to me, etc. But so glad to hear how your second year went much better. I think maybe I just need more time training for such distance. Gosh, I only got a road bike in March. But yet, i'm so hard on myself. I have been following the Racine forum and see you sometimes go to lake andrea for the lake swims. I do too. I live really close to there. I would love to connect with some people who get the whole triathlete/ active lifestyle thing. I don't really have that.

2012-07-25 11:46 AM

Veteran

SO proud of you Amy!  You did SUCH a terrific job and how cool that you were able to cross the line w/Cyn.  I'm so happy to have met you both and can't wait to do another race with you!! 

xo

Leslie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed