World Triathlon Corporation
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 22m 35s
Overall Rank = 1089/2227
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 72/159
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed at 9. Drew came in and woke me at 11 wanting to sleep with me. Fine. He kept tossing and turning. Got up to pee. Couldn't fall back asleep! Seriously! Finally at 3:45 said screw it and got up to get ready. Had 1 waffle with peanut butter (bathroom success!) and saved the other for when I got to Racine. Ate a yogurt at home. Left the house at about 4:30 and stopped at quick trip to get a banana. Ate that in the car. Had the 2nd waffle when I got to racine around 5:30. Had to park out on the main drag--really busy already! Got body marked as I came in and got transition set up. Found Janel, and had a Gu at 6:30 as they were closing transition. Made the long walk to the start and had about an hour until our 7:38 start time. Got into the water for a while to cool off--hot out already!
Event warmup:

Did a few strokes in the water, mainly just kept cool. Little bit of stretching.
Swim
  • 40m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Didn't get beat up too much, had a few fast swimmers from the waves behind me run me over but mainly passed the waves in front of me.
What would you do differently?:

I could actually do some swimming other than just at races. I took 4 minutes off last years time--I assumed the course was short since I have done NO swimming other than races, but Janel's swim was slower this year so the course was pretty accurate.
Transition 1
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

There is a long sandy stretch to get from the water to transition. Sand was pretty deep. Kinda half walked, half jogged. Then you get taken all the way to the run out. I had to come all the way back up to get to my rack. Feet very sandy, spent a lot of time cleaning, drying, and body glide-ing them. Maybe after my surgery I won't have to waste so much time on this!?! Also sprayed on sunscreen.

Could jog a little more coming in. Not spend so much time on my feet as noted above. Was 45 seconds slower this year so need to figure out something!
Bike
  • 3h 17m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like I was going pretty hard but trying not to overdo it. Legs took until mile 21 to 'warm up', then they felt really good. Low back was pretty stiff. Probably shouldn't have done the loop in Madison on Wednesday before this. Nutrition was good. Really hot out, went through 2 tanks of water and one Gatorade. Had 5oz Gu. Ate salt x3.

Need to get in more hills and time on the bike in general. I think Wednesdays hill ride hurt me--bike was 4 mins slower than last year but effort seemed the same. Tried to increase cadence instead of pushing big gears--I know that slows me down as well.
Transition 2
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

Ran right past my rack! Took a few seconds to back it up! Stopped in the Metro and by the sunscreen people, so that cost me a couple of minutes. Was 25 seconds slower than last year.

Pay closer attention to my rack. Wish I could pee on the bike to save me the time in T2 but that's just something I'll never do!
Run
  • 2h 15m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot hot hot! Thank goodness for the community members who shared their hoses! At every aid station I dumped ice water on my head, drank a cup, drank a coke, and stuck ice down my top and shorts. Took salt tabs twice. Walked the water stops since I was juggling 4 cups but otherwise ran the rest!

I guess run a little faster? Idk, I think I rocked the run. I musta passed a couple hundred people who were walking. I didn't walk any of the course other than the aid stations and maintained a decent pace despite the heat. Was pretty pleased with my effort. Took 8 minutes off last year's run!
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped in medical to VISIT my coworkers. Lots of athletes getting IVs! Was great to hear everyone say how good I looked--I guess upright was pretty good for what they had been seeing all day! Dropped of my medal and hat in transition then went down to the lake to soak my legs and low back for a bit. Ate a turkey and ham sandwich while standing in the water, had a banana and 2 bottles of water as well. Hobbled back to transition to get my stuff, packed up and walked back to the car. Bit of stretching. When I got home, had to pick up Drew from Ryan's, then we got Grandma and walked up to Frozen Ladle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, but that got everyone. I was pleased with how well I did despite it. Again, probably shouldn't have done the Madison hills so close to race day.

Event comments:

I love this race, ever since it was Spirit of Racine. Great course. Wish some of the roads weren't so bumpy on the bike, but what can you do? I like the out/back double loop run--you have a good idea where you are in regards to everyone else. I love passing all those people on the run that passed me on the bike!

Last updated: 2011-10-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:14 | 2112 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/159
Overall: 1158/2227
Performance: Good
Suit: Full vortex
Course: Point to point in Lake Michigan at North Beach. Water very clear! Only waves were from the boats. Cold, hands getting numb by the end but that could be wetsuit related too. Severe chafe on the right side of my neck--forgot the body glide!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:17:38 | 56 miles | 17.00 mile/hr
Overall: 1432/2227
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat with a few rollers. Only went into the small ring a few times. Tried to keep cadence up. Road very bumpy in places!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:15:18 | 13.1 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 0/2227
Performance: Good
Mile 1 9:54:72 Mile 2 8:56:52 Mile 3 10:27:97 Mile 4 9:46:81 Mile 5 9:34:99 Mile 6] Mile 7 20:24:99 Mile 8 10:46:20 Mile 9 10:26:26 Mile 10 10:23:93 Mile 11 11:10:19 Mile 12 10:13:69 Mile 13.1 13:11:67
Course: Mostly flat course. One decent hill at the start of the loop, walked up it both times but ran the rest. Aid stations were well-stocked except the first out of transition which ran out of cola on my second loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-18 11:43 PM

User image

New user

Waunakee, Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2012-07-19 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4319323

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine

As usual, a stellar performance from a stellar athlete!!!

EEEEEEAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!

2012-07-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4319575

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed