Musselman Triathlon
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 01m
Overall Rank = 43/4 F/832
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/54
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 AM. Showered, had coffee and ate a PB sandwich. Since we were staying so close to the race start, we just rode there instead of dealing with traffic getting into/out of the park. Set up transtion and was able to relax a bit (drank some water and ate half of a banana) prior to the race start.
Event warmup:

Waded into the water for a pre-race quick swim. The water felt nice, but I was chilly when I got out of it.
Swim
  • 39m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a very hard swim for me. It was the roughest water I have swum in (prior to hitting the canal). I felt like I got thrown around a bit. There was a lot of chop when headed out into the lake. I really need to fix my swim. It is my limiter right now.
What would you do differently?:

I never got to a good comfortable place. I need to keep my breathing consistent as well as my kick. I struggled way more than I hoped.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Decent transition considering I had to take off my speedsuit. I was a little thrown getting my bearings when entering transition from the water though.

I should have actually walked from swim out to transition. I did count the racks prior to the race at least.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I never felt like I got into a groove and the pouring rain once hitting Cayuga Lake didn't help. Also, once the rain hit I backed way off when cornering and took everything significantly slower. It was very helpful to have driven the course the day before.

I probably should have drunk more Infinit. I had 1.5 bottles (~411 calories in total), a little bit of water and one Gu (100 calories).
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Pretty good transition.
Run
  • 1h 36m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Darn it...if I didn't have to stop for the port-o-potty on the way out of transition, maybe I could have broke 1:36! I felt very strong through about Mile 7 and was rolling right along. Right before hitting the big hill up Barracks Road I started cramping. I walked that aid station and pulled myself back together. Although I slowed a little bit, I ran that hill and the cramps did not reappear. I managed the fastest run split of women and the 29th fastest over all participants. I thought the run was challenging, but (mostly) fun...until I hit that 13 mile marker and the finish line was definitely more than 0.1 miles away!!
Post race
Warm down:

Plopped into the kiddie pool...man that felt good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ultimately, my swim. I need to fix that. I also never got into a groove on the bike.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race and the weekend and I look forward to going back. I liked that it didn't feel like I just went there to race...more so it was going there for the experience - the place we were assigned to stay was unbeatable, cheering friends in the micromussel was a blast, the athlete dinner helped defray some costs, and the half itself was very well-organized. Just a great time and I would highly recommend this race to others.

Last updated: 2012-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/54
Overall: 74/832
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto Liftfoil
Course: Out into the lake and then into a canal.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No