World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 41m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Was camping and I knew I wasn't going to sleep well so I did take some Melatonin before bed.

Shower, coffee, & eat breakfast 3 hours before the race. Breakfast was Oatmeal, peanut butter and banana.
Event warmup:

Walked a mile from bike transition to swim start. Sat in the lake to cool off. Not in that much of a hurry, my wave wasn't starting until 8, nearly an hour after race start.

Nutrition:
1 gel
Water
Swim
  • 40m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Counted to 10 and started to the left. Very little contact with anyone but could tell when the next wave caught up with us. Perfect sighting with breathing to the right and the bouys to the right of us. Only a few times I began to go off course. Once I was nearly to the boats, I wonder if they thought I was quiting! I was happy with the swim, PR 3 minutes!
What would you do differently?:

Try to draft off the men that pass me!
Transition 1
  • 06m 55s
Comments:

Exhausting! What was the distance to the bikes? 1/4 mile? I tried to run, but didn't want my heart rate to sky rocket before the bike, so it was more of a walk/trot.

I don't know, go faster?! I had my nutrition in a cooler next to my bike. I didn't want to forget anything, so I took a little more time. Also this was my first tri this year, so I felt disorganized.
Bike
  • 3h 16m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I was averaging around 20mph, until the wind picked up and the little hills got in the way on the way back. Stopped to pee and had volunteer put sunscreen on at the first water station.

I hit a orange cone at one point and nearly lost control! PR of 25 minutes from last year's Half.

My electorlytes on the bike was spot on I think, Maybe a few extra calories, felt tired on the run. I used 1 bottle of Perform (4 scoops) 1 bottle of Ironman perform (3 scoops), and lots and lots of water, nearly 7 bottles I think! I was taking 3 saltsticks every hour.

Nutrition per hour:
Calories: 250
Protein: 4.6
Carbs: 53
Na: 981 mg
K: 248 mg
Ca: 88 mg
Mg: 38 mg

Seems like a like a lot, but I had no cramping, no stomach issues.

try more calories, and see if I have more energy for the run.
Transition 2
  • 04m 51s
Comments:

Again felt disorganized, first tri of the year!
Run
  • 2h 33m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I know that I don't run well in the heat! I don't think I was as orgainized with my nutrition. I carried a water bottle and was filling up at water stations, but to be honest I don't know if I really drank between water stations. So was this really necessary to carry? I also had a flask for my gel, ended up tossing it out at mile 9. It was too jiggly in my pocket and I didn't feel like carrying it any longer.

Nutrition: (only guessing, I totally lost track)
-2-3 saltsticks/hr
-hammer gel ~every 3 miles

Calories 144/hr
Carbs 35/hr
Na 430 mg/hr
K 126mg/hr
Mg 22mg/hr
Ca 44mg/hr

Push myself more! I would have been really happy with a 2:15. PR of 38 minutes
Post race
Warm down:

walked a bit. Felt a little disorientated. No appetite, my kids stole my food. :) I managed to get down a banana and a few orange slices. Throughout the entire run I wanted to go jump in the lake to cool off but when I got in there I had goose bumps so bad and only stayed in a little bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat I think, although I think last year in Door County was hotter. Overall I looked at this race as a training run for Ironman. So I tried to keep my heart zones in check. I think I still have to adjust my nutrition a bit, to get me through the run. Overall I was happy with my times.

Event comments:

Two water stations on the run had run out of ice. I was really looking forward to the cold sponges but they were basically luke warm. :(

The zoo? They shouldn't even advertise this in the race description. I wanted to see monkeys!

Overall I was happy with this race, North Beach is amazing and Downtown Racine is adorable! I would do this race again.

Last updated: 2012-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:06 | 2112 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Out 200 yards and then straight shot up the coast. Clear beautiful water. Perfect temperature!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:16:05 | 56 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Tried to keep my HR low to med Zone (below 145).
Wind:
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:33:18 | 13.1 miles | 11m 42s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back x2. You run right pass the finish line and then have to do it one more time! Ugh!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes